Skip to content

[NODEBB] Welcome Message

Solved Customisation
20 4 8.0k 1
  • @jac said in [NODEBB] Welcome Message:

    very clever indeed! does it show on mobile?

    Yes, natively, but I use CSS to hide it.

    @jac said in [NODEBB] Welcome Message:

    The idea is fantastic Mark, is there a point where you think yes my ideas are used by others but having the same features across a few forums, does that bother you or would you say this is why you created Sudonix?

    Absolutely not. I know that my ideas have been accepted and used by @JAC @DownPW @kurulumuNet and I’m happy that others find them useful. There’s no copyright here - anything you want to take and use is, like the platform itself, free.

    @phenomlab said in [NODEBB] Welcome Message:

    Absolutely not. I know that my ideas have been accepted and used by @JAC @DownPW @kurulumuNet and I’m happy that others find them useful. There’s no copyright here - anything you want to take and use is, like the platform itself, free.

    TWO WORDS: RESPECT, THANKS 🙂

  • DownPWundefined DownPW has marked this topic as solved on
  • @jac said in [NODEBB] Welcome Message:

    very clever indeed! does it show on mobile?

    Yes, natively, but I use CSS to hide it.

    @jac said in [NODEBB] Welcome Message:

    The idea is fantastic Mark, is there a point where you think yes my ideas are used by others but having the same features across a few forums, does that bother you or would you say this is why you created Sudonix?

    Absolutely not. I know that my ideas have been accepted and used by @JAC @DownPW @kurulumuNet and I’m happy that others find them useful. There’s no copyright here - anything you want to take and use is, like the platform itself, free.

    @phenomlab said in [NODEBB] Welcome Message:

    Yes, natively, but I use CSS to hide it.

    Can you give me your CSS code for hide on mobile ?

  • DownPWundefined DownPW has marked this topic as unsolved on
  • @phenomlab said in [NODEBB] Welcome Message:

    Yes, natively, but I use CSS to hide it.

    Can you give me your CSS code for hide on mobile ?

    @downpw Sure. Very simple - just place this in your mobile CSS block

    .getUsername {
      display: none;
    }
    
  • Great. That’s work !

    Easy as pie.
    Why didn’t I think of it?

    😉

  • DownPWundefined DownPW has marked this topic as solved on
  • What is your CSS for this @phenomlab ?
    I have small bug on Unread categorie for example with this code I wrote:

    .getUsername {
        float: right;
        font-family: 'Poppins';
        font-size: 1.6rem;
        line-height: 1.8;
        color: #898989;
        font-weight: 400;
    }
    

    2040e9b0-d14f-48a8-a681-782667985337-image.png

  • What is your CSS for this @phenomlab ?
    I have small bug on Unread categorie for example with this code I wrote:

    .getUsername {
        float: right;
        font-family: 'Poppins';
        font-size: 1.6rem;
        line-height: 1.8;
        color: #898989;
        font-weight: 400;
    }
    

    2040e9b0-d14f-48a8-a681-782667985337-image.png

    @downpw I use the below - essentially, using padding to overcome this

    .getUsername {
        padding-top: 20px;
        text-align: right;
    }
    
  • @downpw Sure. Very simple - just place this in your mobile CSS block

    .getUsername {
      display: none;
    }
    

    @phenomlab
    To hide only on mobile / tablet you can use max-width,
    For example:

    @media (max-width: 970px) {
         .getUsername {
       display: none;
    }
    }
    
  • @jac @DownPW here’s the function I put together than will need to be added into your Custom JS

    $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function (data) {
        function updateUsername() {
            $('.getUsername .username').text(app.user.username);
        }
        if (document.readyState === 'loading') {
            document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', updateUsername);
        } else {
            updateUsername();
        }
        var thehours = new Date().getHours();
    	var themessage;
    	var morning = ('Good morning');
    	var afternoon = ('Good afternoon');
    	var evening = ('Good evening');
    
    	if (thehours >= 0 && thehours < 12) {
    		themessage = morning; 
    
    	} else if (thehours >= 12 && thehours < 17) {
    		themessage = afternoon;
    
    	} else if (thehours >= 17 && thehours < 24) {
    		themessage = evening;
    	}
    
    	$('.getUsername').prepend(themessage);
    });
    

    Then use a custom HTML widget with the below

    <!-- IF loggedIn -->
    <div class="getUsername">, <a href="/me"><span class="username"></span></a></div>
    <!-- ENDIF loggedIn -->
    

    For anyone reviewing this post, there’s an updated version here that also includes an sunrise / sun / moon icon depending on the time of day

    https://sudonix.com/topic/233/nodebb-welcome-message-with-logo-footer-change/3?_=1645445273209

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab referenced this topic on
  • Hello,

    I have a question regarding a problem my user is experiencing with this Welcome message.
    This user is not in France.

    It’s 7:40 a.m. for him, so 1:40 a.m. in France, and the banner wishes me a “good afternoon.” I don’t know what time zone it thinks I’m in, but it’s wrong…

    And nodebb displays 11:40 p.m. on the right once posted, so GMT.
    Which isn’t the afternoon either.

    How does this script get the time? It looks like it’s getting the time from the client, meaning the computer or device of the person visiting your site.
    But it seems that in this specific case, the correct time isn’t being retrieved.

    How can I fix this?

  • Hello,

    I have a question regarding a problem my user is experiencing with this Welcome message.
    This user is not in France.

    It’s 7:40 a.m. for him, so 1:40 a.m. in France, and the banner wishes me a “good afternoon.” I don’t know what time zone it thinks I’m in, but it’s wrong…

    And nodebb displays 11:40 p.m. on the right once posted, so GMT.
    Which isn’t the afternoon either.

    How does this script get the time? It looks like it’s getting the time from the client, meaning the computer or device of the person visiting your site.
    But it seems that in this specific case, the correct time isn’t being retrieved.

    How can I fix this?

    @DownPW the ‘js’ code for the banner takes the time from the client, so what it displays really depends on the regional settings for the operating system.

    I’ve not seen this issue myself but would like to see some examples of screenshots if possible.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • What plugins are being used here on Sudonix?

    Solved General nodebb plugins development
    6
    5 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @Roki-Antic Welcome! This site isn’t running Persona, but Harmony - a very heavily customised version at that. Do you have a URL where your site is currently located that is publicly accessible? Feel free to PM this info if you do not want to disclose here. Happy to help with any customisation needs.
  • Whitespace fixes in Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    18
    2
    7 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    @Panda Just circling back here with something of an update (which I think you’ll like). I’ve completely restructured the ranking system. There are now less ranks, with a higher point threshold to reach them. More importantly, if you reload the site, you’ll notice that the ranks are now icons. I also removed the “Author” badge, and made this a single icon, which (to me) looks much better.
  • Smart Widgets

    Solved Configure nodebb
    9
    3 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @Panda said in Smart Widgets: So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object? It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train
  • NodeBB inline videoplayer

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    12
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab YAY! It works Thanks so much
  • [NODEBB] Stats

    Unsolved Customisation plugin stats script
    20
    1
    2 Votes
    20 Posts
    6k Views
    @phenomlab said in [NODEBB] Stats: @jac or I land up fixing it I wouldn’t put it past you
  • Multiple link on one ico non Navbar

    Solved Customisation links css navbar
    7
    1
    2 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    yeah you’re right @phenomlab. Problem of NodeBB Version
  • NodeBB Design help

    Solved Customisation
    8
    3
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @riekmedia I’ve applied some new CSS to your site. Can you reload the page and try again ? For the record, this is what I added #footer { background: #2d343e; border-top: 4px solid #2d343e; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 70px; padding: 80px 0 0; position: relative; clear: both; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; z-index: 1000; margin-left: -15px; margin-right: -338px; } The /categories page seems a bit messed up, so looking at that currently EDIT - issued some override CSS in the CATEGORIES widget <!--- CSS fix for overspill on /categories page - DO NOT DELETE --> <style> #footer { margin-right: -45px; } </style> That should resolve the /categories issue.
  • How to set a signature in NodeBB?

    Solved Customisation
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in How to set a signature in NodeBB?: @jac No issues at all with copying. This is set using the signature for the user you are posting as. In the case of Hostrisk, it’s set like the below [image: 1633427929198-7bf04183-f6e8-4d72-b0eb-c9a05c9cd24b-image.png] You can set the signature by using https://domain.com/user/theuser/edit Mamy thanks Mark, I’ll set this up later .