Skip to content

Further Widgets question

Solved Configure
  • Continuing my Widgets struggle here as although I asked about it on NodeBB forum, I still have remaining areas of confusion.
    I dont find the menu intuitive. In particular now Ive understood that the global .tpl will apply everywhere, are these Category / Topic settings irrelevant?
    20230526_163355~2.jpg

Excuse the blurry photo, but what is the point of that
    Category 0
    Topic 0
    If its going to apply globally anyway?

• @Panda is there any reason not to include a screenshot rather than a photo of the screen? It’s a bit hard to decipher a blurry image 🙂

• Apologies, was having technical difficulties with laptop with no PrtSrn button!
    widget.png

Update
    There are tpl files for category and categories
    It seems this field works under category.tpl and not categories.tpl

Im confused what the categories.tpl is for, but the category.tpl is working now, so problem solved

• Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • @Panda category is for a category in its own, so for example, “fruit” whereas categories is the page that contains all categories as a list.

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Why not buy me a coffee? It's a nice gesture, and a great way to show your appreciation 💗

Related Topics
  • SEO and Nodebb

Performance
    2 Votes
    2 Posts

@Panda It’s the best it’s ever been to be honest. I’ve used a myriad of systems in the past - most notably, WordPress, and then Flarum (which for SEO, was absolutely dire - they never even had SEO out of the box, and relied on a third party extension to do it), and NodeBB easily fares the best - see below example

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asudonix.org&oq=site%3Asudonix.org&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j69i58j69i60l2.9039j0j3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

However, this was not without significant effort on my part once I’d migrated from COM to ORG - see below posts

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17286/google-crawl-error-after-site-migration/17?_=1688461250365

And also

https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/221027803?hl=en&msgid=221464164

It was painful to say the least - as it turns out, there was an issue in NodeBB core that prevented spiders from getting to content, which as far as I understand, is now fixed. SEO in itself is a dark art - a black box that nobody really fully understands, and it’s essentially going to boil down to one thing - “content”.

Google’s algorithm for indexing has also changed dramatically over the years. They only now crawl content that has value, so if it believes that your site has nothing to offer, it will simply skip it.

• Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

Bugs
    4 Votes
    11 Posts

@DownPW I’d have to agree with that.

• Where are widgets stored?

Solved Configure
    1 Votes
    3 Posts

@phenomlab Thanks, have DMed you

• Smart Widgets

Solved Configure
    3 Votes
    9 Posts

@Panda said in Smart Widgets:

So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train 🙂

• NodeBB: updating Admin details not working

Solved Configure
    3 Votes
    17 Posts

@mventures Ok. No issues

• nodebb loading emojis

Solved Configure
    1 Votes
    16 Posts

@DownPW sure. Let me have a look at this in more detail. I know nginx plus has extensive support for this, but it’s not impossible to get somewhere near acceptable with the standard version.

You might be better off handling this at the Cloudflare level given that it sits in between the requesting client and your server.

• Custom badges

Solved Customisation
    49 Votes
    103 Posts
    10k Views

Perfect 😉

• Blinking text Effect

Customisation
    5 Votes
    3 Posts

@phenomlab

I love it too

@phenomlab said in Blinking text Effect:

Has that “broken neon light” look that you see in films.

It’s exactly that, kind of old neon signs of bar or pubs a bit cyberpunk too 😉