Skip to content

Nodebb design

Solved General
2 2 1.2k 1
  • When I first thought on the topic of how I would design a forum, I envisaged a mostly JS front-end app, using the back end to access the Database.
    That has some advantages and disadvantages. One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum.

    How Nodebb builds its pages is different than I might have guessed. Its heavily reliant on Templating and CSS.

    Anyway before getting to that, I have been looking at how Nodebb builds its pages.

    On Nodebb forum one of the devs said
    The “read api” is used by the NodeBB frontend when loading pages
    The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions.

    I asked for clarification on what server-to-server interactions might be?
    That part of my question was missed, can anyone add some explanation to help me understand?

  • When I first thought on the topic of how I would design a forum, I envisaged a mostly JS front-end app, using the back end to access the Database.
    That has some advantages and disadvantages. One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum.

    How Nodebb builds its pages is different than I might have guessed. Its heavily reliant on Templating and CSS.

    Anyway before getting to that, I have been looking at how Nodebb builds its pages.

    On Nodebb forum one of the devs said
    The “read api” is used by the NodeBB frontend when loading pages
    The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions.

    I asked for clarification on what server-to-server interactions might be?
    That part of my question was missed, can anyone add some explanation to help me understand?

    @Panda said in Nodebb design:

    One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum.

    From recollection, Google and Bing have the capability to read and process JS, although it’s not in the same manner as a physical person will consume content on a page. It will be seen as plain text, but will be indexed. However, it’s important to note that Yandex and Baidu will not render JS, although seeing as Google has a 90% share of the content available on the web in terms of indexing, this isn’t something you’ll likely lose sleep over.

    @Panda said in Nodebb design:

    The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions.

    This is mostly based around overall security - you won’t typically want a client machine changing database elements or altering data. This is why you have “client-side” which could be DOM manipulation etc, and “server-side” which performs more complex operations as it can communicate directly with the database whereas the client cannot (and if it can, then you have a serious security flaw). Reading from the API is perfectly acceptable on the client-side, but not being able to write.

    A paradigm here would be something like SNMP. This protocol exists as a UDP (UDP is very efficient, as it is “fire and forget” and does not wait for a response like TCP does) based service which reads performance data from a remote source, thus enabling an application to parse that data for use in a monitoring application. In all cases, SNMP access should be “RO” (Read Only) and not RW (Read Write). It is completely feasible to assume complete control over a firewall for example by having RW access to SNMP and then exposing it to the entire internet with a weak passphrase.

    You wouldn’t do it (at least, I hope you wouldn’t) and the same ethic applies to server-side rendering and the execution of commands.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab marked this topic as a question on
  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • What’s going on with NodeBB?

    Performance nodebb script die
    20
    8 Votes
    20 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay The most reliable way to upgrade Node.js on Ubuntu depends on how you originally installed it. Method 1: Using NVM (Recommended) If you already use Node Version Manager (NVM), upgrading is simple. NVM allows you to keep both versions and switch between them if needed. Install Node 22: nvm install 22 Switch to Node 22: nvm use 22 Set it as your default: nvm alias default 22 Verify the change: node -v Method 2: Using NodeSource (PPA) If you installed Node.js via apt using the NodeSource repository, you need to update the repository script to point to the new version. Remove the old NodeSource list (optional but cleaner): sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list Download and run the NodeSource setup script for Node 22: curl -fsSL [https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x](https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x) | sudo -E bash - Install/Upgrade Node.js: sudo apt-get install -y nodejs Verify the installation: node -v Method 3: Using the ‘n’ Package If you have npm installed, you can use the n interactive manager. Clear the npm cache: sudo npm cache clean -f Install the ‘n’ helper: sudo npm install -g n Install Node 22: sudo n 22 Update your shell: hash -r Troubleshooting Permission Denied: If you see permission errors using Method 2 or 3, ensure you are using sudo. Path Issues: If node -v still shows version 20 after upgrading via NVM, restart your terminal or run source ~/.bashrc. Conflicts: Avoid mixing these methods. If you switch from apt to nvm, it is best to sudo apt remove nodejs first to avoid path conflicts.
  • 14 Votes
    17 Posts
    5k Views
    No problem dude ! I hope you have a good vacation. Enjoy your loved ones!
  • Whitespace fixes in Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    18
    2
    7 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    @Panda Just circling back here with something of an update (which I think you’ll like). I’ve completely restructured the ranking system. There are now less ranks, with a higher point threshold to reach them. More importantly, if you reload the site, you’ll notice that the ranks are now icons. I also removed the “Author” badge, and made this a single icon, which (to me) looks much better.
  • NodeBB: Consent page

    Solved Configure nodebb consent
    16
    4 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW I still do not see any issues.
  • Fresher in Nodebb install

    General nodebb
    24
    15 Votes
    24 Posts
    11k Views
    @Hari I’ve been reading a lot about APO. Looks impressive.
  • Adding fileWrite to nodebb code

    Solved Configure nodebb
    16
    1
    5 Votes
    16 Posts
    4k Views
    @eveh this might be a question for the NodeBB Devs themselves. In all honesty, I’m not entirely sure without having to research this myself.
  • Nodebb best plugins

    General nodebb plugins
    18
    7 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    @phenomlab thanks
  • [NodeBB] Creating new user to auto post content

    Solved Customisation
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab many thanks Mark .