Skip to content

Using nodebb as a publishing destination, posting after git push?

General
  • Bear with me, this is a bit of a perversion of forum software to use it more as a CMS.
    I want to create an active community. You need to write a lot for that to happen. I do write a lot, but my style is to create a highly connected graph of small thoughts (aka digital garden, aka zettelkasten).

My ideal workflow is that I have lots of .md files which link to each other.

I want to publish those to nodebb, as top post on a thread. @phenomlab you already use nodebb instead of a blog, after trying software that was custom-build for blogs (ghost) and not finding it better than nodebb posts! This is very similar, but I want to publish/update lots of posts at once.

Ideal workflow: I have lots of md files on my local machine. I update them as I like. When I’m ready, I do a git push or similar, and all content appears/gets updated on nodebb.

This is a perversion: using forum software as a CMS.

My question is: is this doable? Worth doing? Would I bump into issues in the future if I do this?

• @qwinter I wouldn’t use git push for this unless you are specifically looking for version control. I’d personally use the NodeBB API to do exactly this. I have some working code I can share to assist in this process. Essentially, you could just create your own RSS feed, and have NodeBB pull from that directly.

The code requires some PHP and the SimplePie library - have a look at this

https://sudonix.com/topic/170/creating-posts-from-rss-feeds-in-flarum

Something similar I did when using Flarum. If you’d like an idea of how effective this can be, ask @JAC who I’ve written various customizations for over the years for sites that he’s run previously.

• @phenomlab wow, no surprise you had thought of this. Yeah I want to keep versions but of course I can do that while still pushing things to an RSS feed.

Will ask @JAC , thanks for the idea and potentially the scripts!

Unrelated: I like this at the bottom of the post:

Referenced by
    phenomlab phenomlab

Which plugin is that?

• @qwinter this particular site uses the code I wrote if you want to see it in action. It’s a information and intelligence gatherer I designed for collecting various information security articles from around the globe and consolidating them in one place.

Essentially, each “post” is in fact generated by the script, and the NodeBB API.

https://hostrisk.com/

• Upgrade issues

Solved Configure
    2 Votes
    2 Posts

Use this code

git fetch # Grab the latest code from the NodeBB repository git checkout v3.x git reset --hard origin/v3.x

And you will have the latest version without specifying it

https://docs.nodebb.org/configuring/upgrade/

• 12 Votes
    47 Posts
    2k Views

@dave1904 just coming back to this thread as @DownPW and I both experienced issues with other plugins today, and the fix was to use the plugin ordering in the ACP and move the Harmony theme to the very top so it comes before everything else in terms of other plugins.

It might be worth at least trying this to see if it gives you a result rather than the previous bulldozer approach. Thinking about it, the previous fix I proposed is along the same lines and disabling plugins does in fact change the order when they are enabled again, so this is definitely worth a try.

Let me know how you get on.

• 13 Votes
    22 Posts
    1k Views

Been playing with the user profile page this afternoon. Thought I’d post a video as I’m really pleased with how this came out

• NodeBB v2.4.0

Solved General
    2 Votes
    3 Posts

@phenomlab As always…Thank you.

Worked for me.

• Nodebb as blogging platform

General
    5 Votes
    10 Posts

@qwinter I’ve extensive experience with Ghost, so let me know if you need any help.

• 2 Votes
    4 Posts

@qwinter it’s workable I think, but not perfect - then again, unless you write a specific plugin to perform such a task, what is. As you pointed out, you have versioning of sorts with the historical access to reach post.

• NodeBB Design help

Solved Customisation
    2 Votes
    8 Posts

@riekmedia I’ve applied some new CSS to your site. Can you reload the page and try again ?

For the record, this is what I added

#footer { background: #2d343e; border-top: 4px solid #2d343e; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 70px; padding: 80px 0 0; position: relative; clear: both; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; z-index: 1000; margin-left: -15px; margin-right: -338px; }

The /categories page seems a bit messed up, so looking at that currently

EDIT - issued some override CSS in the CATEGORIES widget

<!--- CSS fix for overspill on /categories page - DO NOT DELETE --> <style> #footer { margin-right: -45px; } </style>

That should resolve the /categories issue.

• 1 Votes
    6 Posts

@jac said in [NodeBB] custom Gravatar image not showing:

@phenomlab said in [NodeBB] custom Gravatar image not showing:

@jac are you using Custom ?

Sure am mate 👍🏻

Confirmed Fixed