Skip to content

IRC Server/Client - Chat App with NodeBB

Linux
6 3 2.9k 1
  • Hello @all @phenomlab

    NodeBB haven’t got a great chat plugin or native chat system.
    Global chat plugin is very good but he haven’t got moderation tools and it’s a problem.

    For my test, I research a good IRC server for Debian 11 to install on my VM.
    I would like to have Moderation Tools and a GUI for the Configuration (Moderation ,channels etc…)

    For the Client, I have install The Lounge on the VM, it’s a server client IRC wirth GUI, he is very great 😉

    There may be better than IRC servers/clients, but the IRC server/The lounge combo has the advantage of being quite simple without necessarily having user databases.
    Afterwards, if we have a app or system that can interface with the NodeBB user database, that would be great. (IRC server too)

    Thanks my friends

  • Hello @all @phenomlab

    NodeBB haven’t got a great chat plugin or native chat system.
    Global chat plugin is very good but he haven’t got moderation tools and it’s a problem.

    For my test, I research a good IRC server for Debian 11 to install on my VM.
    I would like to have Moderation Tools and a GUI for the Configuration (Moderation ,channels etc…)

    For the Client, I have install The Lounge on the VM, it’s a server client IRC wirth GUI, he is very great 😉

    There may be better than IRC servers/clients, but the IRC server/The lounge combo has the advantage of being quite simple without necessarily having user databases.
    Afterwards, if we have a app or system that can interface with the NodeBB user database, that would be great. (IRC server too)

    Thanks my friends

    @DownPW My personal take on this is that NodeBB is a forum application first and foremost, and it’s PM system is arguably much better than those whom have previously attempted this (Flarum for example). With applications such as Discord, I (personally) see little room for a product like NodeBB to compete, and, a chat plugin would defeat the objective of a forum in the sense that it is not designed to retain archived information useful for other visitors to the site.

    In addition, I see this as harmful to Google searches and general SEO. The chat plugin discussions would not be public, meaning that any useful information contained in the chats themselves are inaccessible to others.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab marked this topic as a regular topic on
  • So sorry Mark @phenomlab for my answer delay, I’ve been pretty busy lately 😞

    I respect your point of view on this.
    however, I would like to test this even for fun.

    After research, I will install InspIRCd for test and Use The Lounge for the client.

    I see rocketchat too but I have no fund a great tutorial for install.

    I’m still looking for a way to interface the NodeBB database (user/password) with another chat application.

    The goal would be for a NodeBB user to be able to use their nodeBB credentials to connect to chat (Irc or other applications)

    cya 😙

  • So sorry Mark @phenomlab for my answer delay, I’ve been pretty busy lately 😞

    I respect your point of view on this.
    however, I would like to test this even for fun.

    After research, I will install InspIRCd for test and Use The Lounge for the client.

    I see rocketchat too but I have no fund a great tutorial for install.

    I’m still looking for a way to interface the NodeBB database (user/password) with another chat application.

    The goal would be for a NodeBB user to be able to use their nodeBB credentials to connect to chat (Irc or other applications)

    cya 😙

    @DownPW I think RocketChat is the most popular these days. I also know there is a plugin that allows NodeBB sessions to persist across applications so that night be worth looking at in terms of authentication.

  • We still use Skype 🤣 these days it’s very slow, we thought of switching to discord for our internal use but we don’t want to miss chay history.

    Chatmantra .io or something is also really nice

  • We still use Skype 🤣 these days it’s very slow, we thought of switching to discord for our internal use but we don’t want to miss chay history.

    Chatmantra .io or something is also really nice

    @Hari not sure from the consumer perspective, but Skype has been all but completely consumed by Microsoft Teams when it comes to business usage.


Related Topics
  • TNG + Nodebb

    General tng genealogy nodebb plugin
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @Madchatthew said in TNG + Nodebb: you have to try and use duck tape and super glue to change something to make it do what you want it to do I couldn’t have put that better myself.
  • Error certification on virtualmin/Nginx

    Solved Linux cert virtualmin nginx
    17
    2
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW anytime
  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW most of this really depends on your desired security model. In all cases with firewalls, less is always more, although it’s never as clear cut as that, and there are always bespoke ports you’ll need to open periodically. Heztner’s DDoS protection is superior, and I know they have invested a lot of time, effort, and money into making it extremely effective. However, if you consider that the largest ever DDoS attack hit Cloudflare at 71m rps (and they were able to deflect it), and each attack can last anywhere between 8-24 hours which really depends on how determined the attacker(s) is/are, you can never be fully prepared - nor can you trace it’s true origin. DDoS attacks by their nature (Distributed Denial of Service) are conducted by large numbers of devices whom have become part of a “bot army” - and in most cases, the owners of these devices are blissfully unaware that they have been attacked and are under command and control from a nefarious resource. Given that the attacks originate from multiple sources, this allows the real attacker to observe from a distance whilst concealing their own identity and origin in the process. If you consider the desired effect of DDoS, it is not an attempt to access ports that are typically closed, but to flood (and eventually overwhelm) the target (such as a website) with millions of requests per second in an attempt to force it offline. Victims of DDoS attacks are often financial services for example, with either extortion or financial gain being the primary objective - in other words, pay for the originator to stop the attack. It’s even possible to get DDoS as a service these days - with a credit card, a few clicks of a mouse and a target IP, you can have your own proxy campaign running in minutes which typically involves “booters” or “stressers” - see below for more https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/ddos-as-a-service-attacks-what-are-they-and-how-do-they-work @DownPW said in Setting for high load and prevent DDoS (sysctl, iptables, crowdsec or other): in short if you have any advice to give to secure the best. It’s not just about DDos or firewalls. There are a number of vulnerabilities on all systems that if not patched, will expose that same system to exploit. One of my favourite online testers which does a lot more than most basic ones is below https://www.immuniweb.com/websec/ I’d start with the findings reported here and use that to branch outwards.
  • Nodebb design

    Solved General nodebb
    2
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda said in Nodebb design: One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum. From recollection, Google and Bing have the capability to read and process JS, although it’s not in the same manner as a physical person will consume content on a page. It will be seen as plain text, but will be indexed. However, it’s important to note that Yandex and Baidu will not render JS, although seeing as Google has a 90% share of the content available on the web in terms of indexing, this isn’t something you’ll likely lose sleep over. @Panda said in Nodebb design: The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions. This is mostly based around overall security - you won’t typically want a client machine changing database elements or altering data. This is why you have “client-side” which could be DOM manipulation etc, and “server-side” which performs more complex operations as it can communicate directly with the database whereas the client cannot (and if it can, then you have a serious security flaw). Reading from the API is perfectly acceptable on the client-side, but not being able to write. A paradigm here would be something like SNMP. This protocol exists as a UDP (UDP is very efficient, as it is “fire and forget” and does not wait for a response like TCP does) based service which reads performance data from a remote source, thus enabling an application to parse that data for use in a monitoring application. In all cases, SNMP access should be “RO” (Read Only) and not RW (Read Write). It is completely feasible to assume complete control over a firewall for example by having RW access to SNMP and then exposing it to the entire internet with a weak passphrase. You wouldn’t do it (at least, I hope you wouldn’t) and the same ethic applies to server-side rendering and the execution of commands.
  • ineffecient use of space on mobile

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    10
    2
    7 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab Thanks
  • is "night mode" shifting the forum several pixels up?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    4 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @crazycells hmm. Good point. I actually use my own version of the dark mode plugin, so not entirely sure. However, I think the CSS is probably the same. I’m not at my PC currently but can check and advise later.
  • Blomstra Realtime issues on ubuntu server

    Solved Linux
    26
    1 Votes
    26 Posts
    9k Views
    Just checked this thread on Discuss. It’s effectively not stable yet. My suggestion would be to use kyrne/websocket
  • RSS parser script [NodeBB]

    Customisation nodebb rss script
    47
    9 Votes
    47 Posts
    21k Views
    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]: @jac Not yet. Sorry. Have some other work commitments I need to prioritise. Hoping to get to this over the weekend. No worries at all mate, thanks