Skip to content

Using nodebb as a publishing destination, posting after git push?

General
5 2 1.9k 1
  • Bear with me, this is a bit of a perversion of forum software to use it more as a CMS.
    I want to create an active community. You need to write a lot for that to happen. I do write a lot, but my style is to create a highly connected graph of small thoughts (aka digital garden, aka zettelkasten).

    My ideal workflow is that I have lots of .md files which link to each other.

    I want to publish those to nodebb, as top post on a thread. @phenomlab you already use nodebb instead of a blog, after trying software that was custom-build for blogs (ghost) and not finding it better than nodebb posts! This is very similar, but I want to publish/update lots of posts at once.

    Ideal workflow: I have lots of md files on my local machine. I update them as I like. When I’m ready, I do a git push or similar, and all content appears/gets updated on nodebb.

    This is a perversion: using forum software as a CMS.

    My question is: is this doable? Worth doing? Would I bump into issues in the future if I do this?

  • Bear with me, this is a bit of a perversion of forum software to use it more as a CMS.
    I want to create an active community. You need to write a lot for that to happen. I do write a lot, but my style is to create a highly connected graph of small thoughts (aka digital garden, aka zettelkasten).

    My ideal workflow is that I have lots of .md files which link to each other.

    I want to publish those to nodebb, as top post on a thread. @phenomlab you already use nodebb instead of a blog, after trying software that was custom-build for blogs (ghost) and not finding it better than nodebb posts! This is very similar, but I want to publish/update lots of posts at once.

    Ideal workflow: I have lots of md files on my local machine. I update them as I like. When I’m ready, I do a git push or similar, and all content appears/gets updated on nodebb.

    This is a perversion: using forum software as a CMS.

    My question is: is this doable? Worth doing? Would I bump into issues in the future if I do this?

    @qwinter I wouldn’t use git push for this unless you are specifically looking for version control. I’d personally use the NodeBB API to do exactly this. I have some working code I can share to assist in this process. Essentially, you could just create your own RSS feed, and have NodeBB pull from that directly.

    The code requires some PHP and the SimplePie library - have a look at this

    https://sudonix.com/topic/170/creating-posts-from-rss-feeds-in-flarum

    Something similar I did when using Flarum. If you’d like an idea of how effective this can be, ask @JAC who I’ve written various customizations for over the years for sites that he’s run previously.

  • @qwinter I wouldn’t use git push for this unless you are specifically looking for version control. I’d personally use the NodeBB API to do exactly this. I have some working code I can share to assist in this process. Essentially, you could just create your own RSS feed, and have NodeBB pull from that directly.

    The code requires some PHP and the SimplePie library - have a look at this

    https://sudonix.com/topic/170/creating-posts-from-rss-feeds-in-flarum

    Something similar I did when using Flarum. If you’d like an idea of how effective this can be, ask @JAC who I’ve written various customizations for over the years for sites that he’s run previously.

    @phenomlab wow, no surprise you had thought of this. Yeah I want to keep versions but of course I can do that while still pushing things to an RSS feed.

    Will ask @JAC , thanks for the idea and potentially the scripts!

    Unrelated: I like this at the bottom of the post:

    Referenced by
    phenomlab phenomlab

    Which plugin is that?

  • @phenomlab wow, no surprise you had thought of this. Yeah I want to keep versions but of course I can do that while still pushing things to an RSS feed.

    Will ask @JAC , thanks for the idea and potentially the scripts!

    Unrelated: I like this at the bottom of the post:

    Referenced by
    phenomlab phenomlab

    Which plugin is that?

    @qwinter said in Using nodebb as a publishing destination, posting after git push?:

    Which plugin is that?

    It’s part of core 🙂

  • @qwinter this particular site uses the code I wrote if you want to see it in action. It’s a information and intelligence gatherer I designed for collecting various information security articles from around the globe and consolidating them in one place.

    Essentially, each “post” is in fact generated by the script, and the NodeBB API.

    https://hostrisk.com/


Related Topics
  • Modify the tagging behavior in NodeBB

    Locked General tagging harmony
    11
    3 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    For anyone else following this thread https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17402/change-in-reply-to-xxxx-text And https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/commit/f2152953cddd3247746ef393516b0a53ba7750a4
  • Can you adjust Admin settings on your NodeBB?

    Bugs nodebb
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda as, yes, now I understand and that makes 100% sense. It means those who get down voted can still have an opinion and use common services. And yes, you’re right. Rather than down vote, just ignore if you don’t agree.
  • NodeBB v3 Chat Very Slow

    Moved Performance nodebb v3 nodebb chat
    47
    11 Votes
    47 Posts
    19k Views
    @DownPW Seems fine.
  • restarting nodebb on boot

    Unsolved Configure nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee said in restarting nodebb on boot: can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts? It’s a better method. Nodemon just looks for file system changes and would effectively die if the server was rebooted meaning you’d have to start it again anyway. Systemd is the defacto standard which is how the operating system interacts in terms of services, scheduled tasks etc.
  • Changing Background on NodeBB

    Solved Customisation background image nodebb
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @cagatay You’d target the body tag and use the below line of CSS background: url(/assets/customcss/backgrounds/default/default.png) no-repeat center center fixed; Obviously, you need to change the path to suit where your image is being stored. More info around the background property can be found here https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_background.php
  • Fresher in Nodebb install

    General nodebb
    24
    15 Votes
    24 Posts
    11k Views
    @Hari I’ve been reading a lot about APO. Looks impressive.
  • Bootstrap Version

    Solved Customisation nodebb bootstrap
    8
    5 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab That will be nice once they have completed that. It will be interesting to see how long that takes. So for now I will use custom css to make it look the way I want. Frameworks just make things a little faster. Thanks @phenomlab
  • NodeBB Blog Comments

    General nodebb blog
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @kurulumu-net Not specifically, but you should review this post from the very large thread as it will save you a lot of time. There’s significant customisation on the Ghost side of things, but not in NodeBB https://community.nodebb.org/post/86022