Skip to content

Fixed background to nodebb forum

Solved Configure
25 2 9.0k 1
  • @phenomlab
    Sort of …
    Its taken me ages to get a skin that looks ok even over a feint background

    If I pick a skin can I change just one of the colors if its not dark enough?

    @Panda yes, but you should start with a sane value and work backwards. The lower the last number in terms of rgba the higher the transparency.

  • @Panda yes, but you should start with a sane value and work backwards. The lower the last number in terms of rgba the higher the transparency.

    @phenomlab ah ok
    So how do I change one color in a skin?

  • @phenomlab ah ok
    So how do I change one color in a skin?

    @Panda first, define “skin”

  • @Panda first, define “skin”

    @phenomlab I go to admin menu and select skins
    Current one is Quartz

  • @phenomlab I go to admin menu and select skins
    Current one is Quartz

    @Panda ok, but which code runs this? Is it mine, or someone else’s work (it does make a difference.

    Edit - ok, unless I login, I cannot change the skin if it’s under admin. I’m being forced to wear sunglasses currently.

  • @Panda ok, but which code runs this? Is it mine, or someone else’s work (it does make a difference.

    Edit - ok, unless I login, I cannot change the skin if it’s under admin. I’m being forced to wear sunglasses currently.

    @phenomlab
    on aignite.nodebb.com I want to pick skin with colors that look ok over back image.
    But all the skins I try have at least one text color that is light and hard to see over image

  • @phenomlab
    on aignite.nodebb.com I want to pick skin with colors that look ok over back image.
    But all the skins I try have at least one text color that is light and hard to see over image

    @Panda it seems you are using the NodeBB skins which frankly, are terrible. They are all based on bootswatch and all have issues.

    You really need to custom develop a skin if your want it to look right.

  • @Panda it seems you are using the NodeBB skins which frankly, are terrible. They are all based on bootswatch and all have issues.

    You really need to custom develop a skin if your want it to look right.

    @phenomlab yea, this is what Im asking,
    Using a skin but maybe modifying one of the color choices

  • @phenomlab yea, this is what Im asking,
    Using a skin but maybe modifying one of the color choices

    @Panda the really depends on what you want to do. Are you offering the same skin to everyone, or do you want to have light and dark modes etc?

    If the one skin, then this is simple enough, but you’d need a lot of custom css to make this work.

  • @Panda the really depends on what you want to do. Are you offering the same skin to everyone, or do you want to have light and dark modes etc?

    If the one skin, then this is simple enough, but you’d need a lot of custom css to make this work.

    @phenomlab the background is supposed to be different for every user everytime they reload page
    but its always covered in light yellow color (alpha .86) so background will always be light

    Its just in each skin theres always one text color that is also light

  • Not sure why you are using a before pseudonym element to set the overlay. It’s much more efficient to do it this way (for example)

    body {
        position: relative;
        background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(245, 246, 252, 0.52), rgba(117, 19, 93, 0.73)), url(https://loremflickr.com/500/500/flame);
        min-height: 90%;
        background-repeat: no-repeat;
        background-attachment: fixed;
        background-position: center;
        background-size: cover;
    }
    

    image.png

    The below CSS block should be removed

    body::before {
        content: "";
        position: absolute;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
        width: 100%;
        height: 100%;
        background-color: rgba(255, 240, 220, 0.85);
        z-index: -100;
    }
    

    z-index: -100; is also overkill - -1 is usually always enough as this places the target element behind everything else.

  • Not sure why you are using a before pseudonym element to set the overlay. It’s much more efficient to do it this way (for example)

    body {
        position: relative;
        background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(245, 246, 252, 0.52), rgba(117, 19, 93, 0.73)), url(https://loremflickr.com/500/500/flame);
        min-height: 90%;
        background-repeat: no-repeat;
        background-attachment: fixed;
        background-position: center;
        background-size: cover;
    }
    

    image.png

    The below CSS block should be removed

    body::before {
        content: "";
        position: absolute;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
        width: 100%;
        height: 100%;
        background-color: rgba(255, 240, 220, 0.85);
        z-index: -100;
    }
    

    z-index: -100; is also overkill - -1 is usually always enough as this places the target element behind everything else.

    @phenomlab ah…
    Chatgpt told me the ::before method.
    Thanks for the human input 🙂

  • @phenomlab ah…
    Chatgpt told me the ::before method.
    Thanks for the human input 🙂

    @Panda said in Fixed background to nodebb forum:

    Chatgpt told me the ::before method.

    Go figure 😛


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Nodebb and emails

    Solved Configure nodebb
    27
    5 Votes
    27 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda it will use SMTP. In all cases, I never use any plugin to send email. I’ll always send it raw.
  • build nodebb Warning in entrypoint size limit

    Solved Performance nodebb
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @eeeee they are nothing to worry about, and can be ignored.
  • nodebb loading emojis

    Solved Configure nodebb emojis
    16
    1
    1 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW sure. Let me have a look at this in more detail. I know nginx plus has extensive support for this, but it’s not impossible to get somewhere near acceptable with the standard version. You might be better off handling this at the Cloudflare level given that it sits in between the requesting client and your server.
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • background color of the footer area

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    7
    1
    7 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab thank you very much
  • [NODEBB] Welcome Message

    Solved Customisation css html nodebb
    20
    2
    13 Votes
    20 Posts
    8k Views
    @DownPW the ‘js’ code for the banner takes the time from the client, so what it displays really depends on the regional settings for the operating system. I’ve not seen this issue myself but would like to see some examples of screenshots if possible.
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.
  • Forum not loading

    Solved Configure
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    10k Views
    @phenomlab Brilliant!! Thanks ever so much!! Now I need to try pull in new members