Skip to content

Top Ranked Forums

Chitchat
9 3 3.1k 1
  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

    @cagatay I often wonder who compiles these “stats” and whether they even test NodeBB

  • @cagatay I often wonder who compiles these “stats” and whether they even test NodeBB

    @phenomlab 617mio posts OMG 🙂

  • @phenomlab 617mio posts OMG 🙂

    @cagatay Yeah, on phpBB too !! I thought that platform was well and truly dead.

  • @cagatay Yeah, on phpBB too !! I thought that platform was well and truly dead.

    @phenomlab Maybe its not true coz web site not working. also there is writen users 0 lol 🙂

    I used over 5 years vBulletin it was very good experiences for me. I also have one small forum powered by XenForo.

    But NodeBB is very fast and google index speed also very good. My last time is 2 hours, google bot idexed.

  • @phenomlab Maybe its not true coz web site not working. also there is writen users 0 lol 🙂

    I used over 5 years vBulletin it was very good experiences for me. I also have one small forum powered by XenForo.

    But NodeBB is very fast and google index speed also very good. My last time is 2 hours, google bot idexed.

    @cagatay Yes, there’s a lot of furore around Discorse, but having tried it myself some time ago, I didn’t like it that much. Plus, it requires containers and ruby on rails, which just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

    @cagatay I think -as far as I could observe- people are not building forums any more, rather than developing a website, they are directly going with “Discord”… It is probably closest to the “forums” among all social media platforms… it is already there, you can create your own discord in seconds, all the infrastructure is already provided.

    Therefore all these old forums rank very high with ancient types of forum softwares… xenforo, vbulletin, phpbb… all from the Jurassic period…

    Just a quick note, Discord and Discourse are separate, unrelated platforms…

  • @cagatay I think -as far as I could observe- people are not building forums any more, rather than developing a website, they are directly going with “Discord”… It is probably closest to the “forums” among all social media platforms… it is already there, you can create your own discord in seconds, all the infrastructure is already provided.

    Therefore all these old forums rank very high with ancient types of forum softwares… xenforo, vbulletin, phpbb… all from the Jurassic period…

    Just a quick note, Discord and Discourse are separate, unrelated platforms…

    @crazycells yes you are absolutly right but the forums need to improve byself. this is a technology age and all software language will improve itself, asp is dead. Nokia is dead 🙂

    We will see that another software will be beter than discord 🙂 it is an endless world 🙂

  • The real issue here is that most people consider forums to be “dead” in the sense that nobody uses them anymore, and social media groups have taken their place. Their once dominant stance in the 90’s and early 00’s will never be experienced again, but having said that, there are a number of forums that did in fact survive the social media onslaught, and still enjoy a large user base.

    Forums tend to be niche. One that immediately sticks out is Reddit - despite looking like it was designed in the 80s, it still has an enormous user base. Another is Stack Overflow, which needs no introduction. The key to any forum is the content it offers, and the more people whom contribute in terms of posting , the more popular and widely respected it becomes as a reliable source of information.

    Forums are still intensely popular with gamers, alongside those that offer tips on hacking etc.


Related Topics
  • 3 Votes
    1 Posts
    973 Views
    No one has replied
  • how to hide "moved" badge with CSS?

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    12
    1
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @crazycells ah, I see. That makes sense.
  • nodebb error logs

    Bugs nodebb
    6
    2
    4 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    I just wanted to ask because I don’t have much knowledge about the new installation. Thank you for the explanatory answer.
  • Further Widgets question

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    1
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda category is for a category in its own, so for example, “fruit” whereas categories is the page that contains all categories as a list.
  • adding some console.log to Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee if you’re using the console, you could try node app.js > app.log 2>&1 This would redirect stdout to a file named app.log and redirect stderr to stdout. I’m not sure about standard logging under NodeBB, but there is an error log located at logs/error.log. Failing that, you could always stop the NodeBB service then use ./nodebb dev from the console which would then provide debug output.
  • NodeBB: Favicon upload issue

    Solved Configure nodebb favicon
    12
    1
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab I am on a Mac, so I used the “Option + Command + I”, and then performed the steps. It loaded my favicon! I checked on Firefox which I haven’t used before, and it showed my favicon also! That’s fantastic and thank you for the help!
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • Best forum software?

    Chitchat forum software
    28
    10 Votes
    28 Posts
    10k Views
    @marusaky Good post. The real issue with Flarum is that even the most minor of changes requires a extension, which is crazy. With NodeBB, you can make changes on the fly very easily, and without too much effort. There is an element of learning when it comes to making changes to any platform, but Javascript is not difficult at all once you get used to it, and there’s also extensive support for jQuery (and hundreds of code snippets on the internet you can easily adapt and tailor to your own needs) For years, phpBB used to reign supreme - now it’s incredibly dated, and always did have the most confusing admin panel I’ve ever seen.