Skip to content

Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

Bugs
11 3 3.4k 1
  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

    @Panda What theme are you using? I’m not familiar with a side panel in the admin console. Can you provide a screenshot?

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

    @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

  • @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

    @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda You make some good points here - I too often need to make changes on the move, but just “accepted” thaty some things (like widgets) can’t be manipulated on mobile devices.

    WordPress has always been like that incidentally.

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda said in Why CSS acts different in Desktop?:

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    Yes, I am able to replicate on Android, but on an iPhone, it behaves differently in the sense that you request the desktop site, but it simply defaults to mobile.

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

    @DownPW it works for the most part, but anything that utilizes drag and drop like widgets is a non starter.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

    @DownPW I’d have to agree with that.


Related Topics
  • 14 Votes
    17 Posts
    5k Views
    No problem dude ! I hope you have a good vacation. Enjoy your loved ones!
  • Threaded post support for NodeBB

    Let's Build It threading nodebb
    146
    3
    50 Votes
    146 Posts
    104k Views
    Updated git for above change https://github.com/phenomlab/nodebb-harmony-threading/commit/14a4e277521d83d219065ffb14154fd5f5cfac69
  • www. Infront stops website access?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    10
    1 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    @Panda because there is no match for the DNS entry specified. The receiving web server parses the headers looking for a destination hostname to match, and anything the web server is unable to resolve will be sent back to the root.
  • NodeBB 3.0 alpha1 : Error on install

    Solved Configure nodebb version 3 install error
    19
    2 Votes
    19 Posts
    6k Views
    @phenomlab Work now
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @qwinter this particular site uses the code I wrote if you want to see it in action. It’s a information and intelligence gatherer I designed for collecting various information security articles from around the globe and consolidating them in one place. Essentially, each “post” is in fact generated by the script, and the NodeBB API. https://hostrisk.com/
  • NodeBB 1.19.3

    Solved Performance nodebb 1.19.3 performance
    33
    4 Votes
    33 Posts
    15k Views
    @phenomlab I find the problem Mark The error message indicated this path : http://localhost:4567/assets/plugins/nodebb-plugin-emoji/emoji/styles.css?v=6983dobg16u I change the path url on config.json [image: 1645128773854-47bacc80-f141-41e4-a261-3f8d650cc6f6-image.png] And all it’s good Weird, I didn’t have to change that path before 1.19.3 But this does not prevent the problem from a clean install with Emoji Plugin EDIT: After test, that resolv the problem installation for 1.18.x but not for 1.19.x (I have other error message when I run ./nodebb Setup For resume: NodeJS 16_x with 1.18.x is ok
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.
  • nodebb dropdown menu

    Solved Configure nodebb
    5
    1
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in nodebb dropdown menu: @kurulumu-net You set it like the below example taken from this site [image: 1637939951821-aae36790-3257-4bb2-ad5a-0d744309876a-image.png] Which presents this [image: 1637939983445-77f47260-2941-4afe-9614-8e17dcfc8c19-image.png] Very interesting… I actually thought this wasn’t possible, as I remember it being asked in the NodeBB forum. Is this something new that’s been implemented? I’ll 100% be doing that when I’m on the laptop over the weekend.