Skip to content

Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

Bugs
11 3 3.4k 1
  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

    @Panda What theme are you using? I’m not familiar with a side panel in the admin console. Can you provide a screenshot?

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

    @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

  • @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

    @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda You make some good points here - I too often need to make changes on the move, but just “accepted” thaty some things (like widgets) can’t be manipulated on mobile devices.

    WordPress has always been like that incidentally.

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda said in Why CSS acts different in Desktop?:

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    Yes, I am able to replicate on Android, but on an iPhone, it behaves differently in the sense that you request the desktop site, but it simply defaults to mobile.

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

    @DownPW it works for the most part, but anything that utilizes drag and drop like widgets is a non starter.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

    @DownPW I’d have to agree with that.


Related Topics
  • Nodebb vs Wordpress vs Other

    General wordpress nodebb woocomerce business
    4
    5 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    PrestaShop + modules IA https://www.prestashop.com Magento https://developer.adobe.com/open/magento
  • What’s going on with NodeBB?

    Performance nodebb script die
    20
    8 Votes
    20 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay The most reliable way to upgrade Node.js on Ubuntu depends on how you originally installed it. Method 1: Using NVM (Recommended) If you already use Node Version Manager (NVM), upgrading is simple. NVM allows you to keep both versions and switch between them if needed. Install Node 22: nvm install 22 Switch to Node 22: nvm use 22 Set it as your default: nvm alias default 22 Verify the change: node -v Method 2: Using NodeSource (PPA) If you installed Node.js via apt using the NodeSource repository, you need to update the repository script to point to the new version. Remove the old NodeSource list (optional but cleaner): sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list Download and run the NodeSource setup script for Node 22: curl -fsSL [https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x](https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x) | sudo -E bash - Install/Upgrade Node.js: sudo apt-get install -y nodejs Verify the installation: node -v Method 3: Using the ‘n’ Package If you have npm installed, you can use the n interactive manager. Clear the npm cache: sudo npm cache clean -f Install the ‘n’ helper: sudo npm install -g n Install Node 22: sudo n 22 Update your shell: hash -r Troubleshooting Permission Denied: If you see permission errors using Method 2 or 3, ensure you are using sudo. Path Issues: If node -v still shows version 20 after upgrading via NVM, restart your terminal or run source ~/.bashrc. Conflicts: Avoid mixing these methods. If you switch from apt to nvm, it is best to sudo apt remove nodejs first to avoid path conflicts.
  • Nodebb and emails

    Solved Configure nodebb
    27
    5 Votes
    27 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda it will use SMTP. In all cases, I never use any plugin to send email. I’ll always send it raw.
  • how to hide "moved" badge with CSS?

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    12
    1
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @crazycells ah, I see. That makes sense.
  • Difficult to move posts now, on mobile.

    Bugs nodebb
    16
    1
    5 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW Yes, it is. It’s set far too low meaning other elements with a higher preference will sit over the top of it.
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • Further Widgets question

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    1
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda category is for a category in its own, so for example, “fruit” whereas categories is the page that contains all categories as a list.
  • Adding fileWrite to nodebb code

    Solved Configure nodebb
    16
    1
    5 Votes
    16 Posts
    4k Views
    @eveh this might be a question for the NodeBB Devs themselves. In all honesty, I’m not entirely sure without having to research this myself.