Skip to content

NodeBB: updating Admin details not working

Solved Configure
17 3 4.2k 1
  • @phenomlab Yes, I had a feeling SMTP was the issue. So, I have to choose between SendGrid or the available plugins, right? Are the plugins not dependable, hence you recommended SendGrid?

    @mventures No specific reason for SendGrid other than it’s free for less than 100 emails per month. Typically, I’d suggest hosting your own email, but then you’ll also need a raft of DNS records such as txt, spf, dkim and dmarc.

    These should be added to DNS anyway for sake of good order, but are less dependant when you leverage a third party service. Don’t be surprised if SendGrid also wants you to add DNS records, as this is the norm.

  • @mventures No specific reason for SendGrid other than it’s free for less than 100 emails per month. Typically, I’d suggest hosting your own email, but then you’ll also need a raft of DNS records such as txt, spf, dkim and dmarc.

    These should be added to DNS anyway for sake of good order, but are less dependant when you leverage a third party service. Don’t be surprised if SendGrid also wants you to add DNS records, as this is the norm.

    @phenomlab None of my business perhaps, but what system are you using if you don’t mind me asking? If it’s personal/sensitive, then your recommendation is strongly Sendgrid because it’s easy to set up, dependable and affordable.

    Btw, I’ve heard a lot about Mailgun, and they offer 5000 free emails/month, and only $1 extra for another 1000 if it crosses the 5k mark. Are you OK if I started on this one?

  • @phenomlab None of my business perhaps, but what system are you using if you don’t mind me asking? If it’s personal/sensitive, then your recommendation is strongly Sendgrid because it’s easy to set up, dependable and affordable.

    Btw, I’ve heard a lot about Mailgun, and they offer 5000 free emails/month, and only $1 extra for another 1000 if it crosses the 5k mark. Are you OK if I started on this one?

    @mventures being the “traditionalist” that I am I host my own mail using postfix (a service dedicated for this purpose, but residing on the same VPS). There’s nothing wrong with Mailgun, and NodeBB will actively support it.

    https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodebb-plugin-emailer-mailgun

  • Hi @cagatay
    Thank you for your response.
    (1) Admin email change: I did as you said and it still has the old email. No change over to the new one.
    (2) A new user registration test: I signed up as a user to check. Though I entered an email for this new account, I did not receive the email verification email for this one also. All email folders were checked and nothing has come in yet.
    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    Hi @cagatay
    Thank you for your response.
    (1) Admin email change: I did as you said and it still has the old email. No change over to the new one.
    (2) A new user registration test: I signed up as a user to check. Though I entered an email for this new account, I did not receive the email verification email for this one also. All email folders were checked and nothing has come in yet.
    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    If I can get help on (3) also, that would be great also! Thank you all.

  • @mventures being the “traditionalist” that I am I host my own mail using postfix (a service dedicated for this purpose, but residing on the same VPS). There’s nothing wrong with Mailgun, and NodeBB will actively support it.

    https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodebb-plugin-emailer-mailgun

    @phenomlab Nice! I will give this a try tomorrow and see how it goes. By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

  • @phenomlab Nice! I will give this a try tomorrow and see how it goes. By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

    @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

    The outgoing email should be the default specified in the NodeBB settings. You’ll be using a username and password from the Mailgun service to send mail anyway, so the email address is cosmetic.

  • @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    Hi @cagatay
    Thank you for your response.
    (1) Admin email change: I did as you said and it still has the old email. No change over to the new one.
    (2) A new user registration test: I signed up as a user to check. Though I entered an email for this new account, I did not receive the email verification email for this one also. All email folders were checked and nothing has come in yet.
    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    If I can get help on (3) also, that would be great also! Thank you all.

    @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    Because you need to enable that in Settings 🙂

    Go to /admin/settings/user#default-user-settings

    Enable the below

    eb821911-fcb3-4222-9fba-19b6a66be91d-image.png

    7aa39f3b-4a2a-4bf6-b5b4-2428f7d68a7e-image.png

    Save

    And finally,

    Go to user/admin/settings

    Enable “Show my full name”

    9a15b1dd-dc4a-47a3-a208-f6366b76ad28-image.png

    Save

    I’ve done this on your site, so it should be working as intended.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    Because you need to enable that in Settings 🙂

    Go to /admin/settings/user#default-user-settings

    Enable the below

    eb821911-fcb3-4222-9fba-19b6a66be91d-image.png

    7aa39f3b-4a2a-4bf6-b5b4-2428f7d68a7e-image.png

    Save

    And finally,

    Go to user/admin/settings

    Enable “Show my full name”

    9a15b1dd-dc4a-47a3-a208-f6366b76ad28-image.png

    Save

    I’ve done this on your site, so it should be working as intended.

    @phenomlab Yes, it is working! Thank you so much 🙂

  • @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

    The outgoing email should be the default specified in the NodeBB settings. You’ll be using a username and password from the Mailgun service to send mail anyway, so the email address is cosmetic.

    @phenomlab Update: I haven’t forgotten the task of setting up a SendGrid account. It’s just that my account hasn’t been verified yet. It’s been a few days already and I keep getting questionnaires from them. Have chased again today.

  • @phenomlab Update: I haven’t forgotten the task of setting up a SendGrid account. It’s just that my account hasn’t been verified yet. It’s been a few days already and I keep getting questionnaires from them. Have chased again today.

    @mventures Ok. No issues


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Nodebb to Xenforo

    Solved Configure xenforo nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @cagatay as @downpw stated, there isn’t a native tool that will do this for you. You’d need to either develop your own or ask the nodebb team to assist which will be a paid exercise.
  • 4 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda said in Upgrade to NodeBB v3? 2BB or not 2BB, that is the question!: So although thats a plugin it has Widget like element and stopped working on the Theme change Which is normal based on the widgets being reset when you change themes.
  • NodeBB: Favicon upload issue

    Solved Configure nodebb favicon
    12
    1
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab I am on a Mac, so I used the “Option + Command + I”, and then performed the steps. It loaded my favicon! I checked on Firefox which I haven’t used before, and it showed my favicon also! That’s fantastic and thank you for the help!
  • NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme

    Discussion nodebb theme
    22
    13 Votes
    22 Posts
    11k Views
    Been playing with the user profile page this afternoon. Thought I’d post a video as I’m really pleased with how this came out profile-screen-capture.webm
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • Top Ranked Forums

    Chitchat nodebb top ranked
    9
    1
    3 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    The real issue here is that most people consider forums to be “dead” in the sense that nobody uses them anymore, and social media groups have taken their place. Their once dominant stance in the 90’s and early 00’s will never be experienced again, but having said that, there are a number of forums that did in fact survive the social media onslaught, and still enjoy a large user base. Forums tend to be niche. One that immediately sticks out is Reddit - despite looking like it was designed in the 80s, it still has an enormous user base. Another is Stack Overflow, which needs no introduction. The key to any forum is the content it offers, and the more people whom contribute in terms of posting , the more popular and widely respected it becomes as a reliable source of information. Forums are still intensely popular with gamers, alongside those that offer tips on hacking etc.
  • Configure SMTP for Nodebb

    Solved Configure
    14
    5 Votes
    14 Posts
    4k Views
    @marusaky based on the work completed thus far (in relation to PM exchanges), I’m going to mark this completed. Sending email from the server itself works fine without issue, and DNS appears to be clean (valid SPF, DMARC, and DKIM records). It appears that only Gmail marks incoming messages from your domain as spam - perhaps because of the domain age, which there is nothing we can do to prevent this. Mail delivery to all other domains appears to work fine in al of my tests.
  • NodeBB Footer

    Solved Customisation footer nodebb
    10
    1 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB Footer: @jac and you. Hope all is well and you recover quickly Thanks pal