Skip to content

Plugin to show images in teasers

General
6 2 1.8k 1
  • Hi,

    I’ve posted this on nodebb before but was hoping to get more response here if anyone is interested. 🙂

    I was searching for a solution to show images, especially custom emojis, in teasers. Right now custom emojis or images are shown like “xyz.png” or “:emoji1:”:

    Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 12-39-45 Kategorien.png

    Regular emojis from emoji packs are displayed, I guess because the browser interprets ASCII.

    I’ve then created a plugin using an intended solution found here. It should remove the img-tag from the configureStripTags Hook.

    Unfortunately there is no impact to the recent cards plugin or any other teasers. No regarding error or warning found in the nodebb log. This is part of the log when I run ./nodebb dev:

    verbose: [plugins] Loaded plugin: nodebb-plugin-teaser-image
    
    verbose: [plugins/fireHook] filter:teasers.configureStripTags
    

    Plugin is as basic as it can be:

    index.js:

    'use strict';
    
    var plugin = {};
    
    plugin.filterTeasersConfigureStripTags = async function (hookData) {
      // Check if the "img" tag is present in the tags array
      if (hookData.tags.includes('img')) {
        // Remove the "img" tag from the tags array
        hookData.tags = hookData.tags.filter(tag => tag !== 'img');
      }
    
      return hookData;
    };
    
    module.exports = plugin;
    

    package.json:

    {
      "name": "nodebb-plugin-teaser-image",
      "version": "1.0.0",
      "description": "NodeBB Plugin to show images in teasers",
      "main": "index.js",
      "dependencies": {},
      "nbbpm": {
        "compatibility": "^1.0.0 || ^2.0.0 || ^3.0.0"
      }
    }
    
    

    plugin.json:

    {
      "id": "nodebb-plugin-teaser-image",
      "name": "Show images in Teasers",
      "description": "A NodeBB plugin to show images in teasers",
      "version": "1.0.0",
      "hooks": [
        {
          "hook": "filter:teasers.configureStripTags",
          "method": "filterTeasersConfigureStripTags"
        }
      ]
    }
    
    

    Anything I have overlooked or any more information I could add? From my understanding, this should already work. 🤔 Help is appreciated. I don’t have a github link yet, If anyone wants to try you can just create a folder in node_modules and add the above files.

  • Hi,

    I’ve posted this on nodebb before but was hoping to get more response here if anyone is interested. 🙂

    I was searching for a solution to show images, especially custom emojis, in teasers. Right now custom emojis or images are shown like “xyz.png” or “:emoji1:”:

    Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 12-39-45 Kategorien.png

    Regular emojis from emoji packs are displayed, I guess because the browser interprets ASCII.

    I’ve then created a plugin using an intended solution found here. It should remove the img-tag from the configureStripTags Hook.

    Unfortunately there is no impact to the recent cards plugin or any other teasers. No regarding error or warning found in the nodebb log. This is part of the log when I run ./nodebb dev:

    verbose: [plugins] Loaded plugin: nodebb-plugin-teaser-image
    
    verbose: [plugins/fireHook] filter:teasers.configureStripTags
    

    Plugin is as basic as it can be:

    index.js:

    'use strict';
    
    var plugin = {};
    
    plugin.filterTeasersConfigureStripTags = async function (hookData) {
      // Check if the "img" tag is present in the tags array
      if (hookData.tags.includes('img')) {
        // Remove the "img" tag from the tags array
        hookData.tags = hookData.tags.filter(tag => tag !== 'img');
      }
    
      return hookData;
    };
    
    module.exports = plugin;
    

    package.json:

    {
      "name": "nodebb-plugin-teaser-image",
      "version": "1.0.0",
      "description": "NodeBB Plugin to show images in teasers",
      "main": "index.js",
      "dependencies": {},
      "nbbpm": {
        "compatibility": "^1.0.0 || ^2.0.0 || ^3.0.0"
      }
    }
    
    

    plugin.json:

    {
      "id": "nodebb-plugin-teaser-image",
      "name": "Show images in Teasers",
      "description": "A NodeBB plugin to show images in teasers",
      "version": "1.0.0",
      "hooks": [
        {
          "hook": "filter:teasers.configureStripTags",
          "method": "filterTeasersConfigureStripTags"
        }
      ]
    }
    
    

    Anything I have overlooked or any more information I could add? From my understanding, this should already work. 🤔 Help is appreciated. I don’t have a github link yet, If anyone wants to try you can just create a folder in node_modules and add the above files.

    @dave1904 there’s nothing wrong with the plugin you’ve written, but seeing as it’s a server side hook, have you changed the plugin load order so that yours is the last to load?

    It could well be that your plugin is being overridden by another.

  • @dave1904 there’s nothing wrong with the plugin you’ve written, but seeing as it’s a server side hook, have you changed the plugin load order so that yours is the last to load?

    It could well be that your plugin is being overridden by another.

    @phenomlab said in Plugin to show images in teasers:

    have you changed the plugin load order so that yours is the last to load?

    Yes I did, the plugin is last in the plugin order list.

  • @phenomlab said in Plugin to show images in teasers:

    have you changed the plugin load order so that yours is the last to load?

    Yes I did, the plugin is last in the plugin order list.

    @dave1904 have you considered doing this client side? You could fairly easily manipulate the element in question using js.

    Admittedly, anyone using your site without script access won’t be able to leverage this, but it’s an acceptable solution.

  • Thank you @phenomlab

    Client side development is something I would consider but I don’t like it when things don’t work and especially when I don’t know why they don’t work. Do you maybe have any idea where I could have a look for more troubleshooting? I see that the hook is fired but can I see anywhere what the hook is doing in detail?

  • Thank you @phenomlab

    Client side development is something I would consider but I don’t like it when things don’t work and especially when I don’t know why they don’t work. Do you maybe have any idea where I could have a look for more troubleshooting? I see that the hook is fired but can I see anywhere what the hook is doing in detail?

    @dave1904 I’d start by adding a console.log function to hookData so you can see what is being returned

    return hookData;
    console.log(hookData):
    

Related Topics
  • NodeBB v4.0.0

    General nodebb sudonix version 4
    28
    4 Votes
    28 Posts
    7k Views
    @Panda said in NodeBB v4.0.0: the workings of World aren’t intuitive Its not easy to get World populating when a forum is new to it This is a good point and one I’ve considered also. It’s a little confusing to be honest.
  • Spam spam spam

    Solved Configure nodebb
    6
    2 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda said in Spam spam spam: ok, yes Ive seen the queue, it shows IP, but doesnt have a field for comments from registrant. It’s not designed for that. It merely serves as a gateway between posts appearing on your form or not. @Panda said in Spam spam spam: It would be better if nodebb had this plugin included in ACP list, as not only then do you know its approved and should work, but many people cant or dont want to use CLI on the server That’s a question for the NodeBB devs but in all honesty you can’t not use the CLI when installing nodebb so to be this isn’t a big deal.
  • What plugins are being used here on Sudonix?

    Solved General nodebb plugins development
    6
    5 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @Roki-Antic Welcome! This site isn’t running Persona, but Harmony - a very heavily customised version at that. Do you have a URL where your site is currently located that is publicly accessible? Feel free to PM this info if you do not want to disclose here. Happy to help with any customisation needs.
  • Nodebb 3.2.0

    Bugs nodebb nodebb 3.2.0
    20
    1
    2 Votes
    20 Posts
    6k Views
    @crazycells yes, I’m aware of that. Need to fix EDIT- fixed. Caused by the same CSS that is used to absolutely position the “verified” group badge in the posts view. Amended this CSS so that is specifically targets the post stream as below li[component="post"] a[href*="/groups/verified"] { position: absolute !important; left: 8px; z-index: 2; margin-top: 1px; border-radius: 999px !important; line-height: 14px; display: block; height: 22px; margin-left: 0px !important; }
  • 12 Votes
    47 Posts
    15k Views
    @dave1904 just coming back to this thread as @DownPW and I both experienced issues with other plugins today, and the fix was to use the plugin ordering in the ACP and move the Harmony theme to the very top so it comes before everything else in terms of other plugins. It might be worth at least trying this to see if it gives you a result rather than the previous bulldozer approach. Thinking about it, the previous fix I proposed is along the same lines and disabling plugins does in fact change the order when they are enabled again, so this is definitely worth a try. Let me know how you get on.
  • build nodebb Warning in entrypoint size limit

    Solved Performance nodebb
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @eeeee they are nothing to worry about, and can be ignored.
  • Dark Theme Upper Padding

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    7
    1
    6 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW great! thanks a lot… this code solves my problem.
  • creating topic specific widgets

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    16
    10 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @crazycells said in creating topic specific widgets: Additionally if hide class exists, why are we re-defining it? We’re not 🤭 I misspelled it - it should be hidden