Skip to content

adding some console.log to Nodebb

Solved Customisation
4 2 1.9k 1
  • I’m trying some code small addition to NodeBB.
    for debugging purposed where do any outputs from console.log() go?

    Usually, when I run my own stand-alone node code it ‘hangs the screen’ until Ctrl-X out of it, hence you can see console.logs
    But as nodeBB runs as a service in the background, you dont see console.log output on the screen

  • I’m trying some code small addition to NodeBB.
    for debugging purposed where do any outputs from console.log() go?

    Usually, when I run my own stand-alone node code it ‘hangs the screen’ until Ctrl-X out of it, hence you can see console.logs
    But as nodeBB runs as a service in the background, you dont see console.log output on the screen

    @eeeee output from console.log will be in the console tab of the browser when your press F12 to access the developer tools.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • @eeeee output from console.log will be in the console tab of the browser when your press F12 to access the developer tools.

    @phenomlab
    oh, surely only javascript console.log goes to front end, Im meaning using console.log in server side node code.
    What I want is a note to myself on server, not viewable front end.
    for example Ive added some code which doesnt work, and I want to log (somewhere)
    “Reached this code”
    x=10
    etc
    So I want to console log to a server side file I can go and read to help me debug.
    Is there a nodebb log already in use I can write to?
    I tried making my own txt file as using fs.writeFile and that did not work, but thinking some built in console.log command would be simpler

  • @phenomlab
    oh, surely only javascript console.log goes to front end, Im meaning using console.log in server side node code.
    What I want is a note to myself on server, not viewable front end.
    for example Ive added some code which doesnt work, and I want to log (somewhere)
    “Reached this code”
    x=10
    etc
    So I want to console log to a server side file I can go and read to help me debug.
    Is there a nodebb log already in use I can write to?
    I tried making my own txt file as using fs.writeFile and that did not work, but thinking some built in console.log command would be simpler

    @eeeee if you’re using the console, you could try

    node app.js > app.log 2>&1

    This would redirect stdout to a file named app.log and redirect stderr to stdout.

    I’m not sure about standard logging under NodeBB, but there is an error log located at logs/error.log.

    Failing that, you could always stop the NodeBB service then use ./nodebb dev from the console which would then provide debug output.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • NodeBB recent cards customisation

    Solved Customisation nodebb recent cards
    3
    1
    2 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab thank you very much for the assistance Mark, massively appreciated as always. The great thing about this is it’s all documented for other NodeBB users that come looking for solutions . Looks far better .
  • Sidebar Widget is no longer on the side!

    Moved Solved General nodebb
    4
    2
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda said in Sidebar Widget is no longer on the side!: Ah, so sidebar wont work on mobile? Correct. If you review the docs on bootstrap, you’ll notice that it is designed on a grid system https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/layout/grid/ What I mean by changing the category is moving it on here to general as you posted it in bugs, when it isn’t.
  • Smart Widgets

    Solved Configure nodebb
    9
    3 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @Panda said in Smart Widgets: So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object? It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train
  • 36 Votes
    55 Posts
    27k Views
    @DownPW I see why. The code relies on the existence of [component="topic/quickreply/container"] However, this by definition means that the below has to be enabled [image: 1679077966615-aeef638f-4188-489d-a9f2-f3a26dbca9d8-image.png] It will then work [image: 1679077992245-7fb38631-e0f3-46ef-b652-00929d927b13-image.png] For some unknown reason, this is hidden in Harmony, and only shows if you select it. In v2, it seems that the <section> is deleted altogether in Persona if “Quick Reply” is disabled, meaning it won’t fire as it can’t locate that specific component. The downside is that you might not want the quick reply function, but I think it’s a PITA to scroll up to the top of the post just to reply, so I have it on
  • Forum Icons NodeBB

    Solved Customisation icons forum nodebb
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay That matches what I see [image: 1667218162107-4f0f858d-9812-42b1-9f61-ffb13d31dccd-image.png]
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @qwinter this particular site uses the code I wrote if you want to see it in action. It’s a information and intelligence gatherer I designed for collecting various information security articles from around the globe and consolidating them in one place. Essentially, each “post” is in fact generated by the script, and the NodeBB API. https://hostrisk.com/
  • NodeBB Design help

    Solved Customisation
    8
    3
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @riekmedia I’ve applied some new CSS to your site. Can you reload the page and try again ? For the record, this is what I added #footer { background: #2d343e; border-top: 4px solid #2d343e; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 70px; padding: 80px 0 0; position: relative; clear: both; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; z-index: 1000; margin-left: -15px; margin-right: -338px; } The /categories page seems a bit messed up, so looking at that currently EDIT - issued some override CSS in the CATEGORIES widget <!--- CSS fix for overspill on /categories page - DO NOT DELETE --> <style> #footer { margin-right: -45px; } </style> That should resolve the /categories issue.
  • NodeBB customisation

    Locked Customisation
    332
    27 Votes
    332 Posts
    245k Views
    @jac Given your departure away from your previous project, I’m going to close this thread…