Skip to content

Composer options on nodebb

Solved Configure
8 2 2.3k 1
  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

    @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

  • @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

    @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

    @Panda Here you go

    6e2191b0-c777-459a-82e8-cf14840c7f9c-image.png

  • Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

    @Panda You should be able to expose the CSS for these using F12 to get into console

    3591518c-e3a3-4ada-a43c-6b32a5e0359c-image.png

    a2b8ed46-4157-4ff2-85f0-576543380107-image.png

    That should then expose the element once selected

    89d9c545-a47a-40d1-98f4-80cf3b958e8f-image.png

    Here’s the below CSS you need based on the screenshot provided.

    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="picture-o"], .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="spoiler"] {
        display: none;
    }
    

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Nodebb and emails

    Solved Configure nodebb
    27
    5 Votes
    27 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda it will use SMTP. In all cases, I never use any plugin to send email. I’ll always send it raw.
  • adding some console.log to Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee if you’re using the console, you could try node app.js > app.log 2>&1 This would redirect stdout to a file named app.log and redirect stderr to stdout. I’m not sure about standard logging under NodeBB, but there is an error log located at logs/error.log. Failing that, you could always stop the NodeBB service then use ./nodebb dev from the console which would then provide debug output.
  • NodeBB: Consent page

    Solved Configure nodebb consent
    16
    4 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW I still do not see any issues.
  • How to fix size of photos & videos NodeBB

    Solved Customisation nodebb nodebb size
    7
    3 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @crazycells pleasure. Using percentages makes much more sense in this case. It’s the same argument with px vs pt vs em with fonts, margins, padding, etc., in the sense that em is generally preferred over px and pt https://stackoverflow.com/questions/609517/why-em-instead-of-px
  • NodeBB 1.19.3

    Solved Performance nodebb 1.19.3 performance
    33
    4 Votes
    33 Posts
    15k Views
    @phenomlab I find the problem Mark The error message indicated this path : http://localhost:4567/assets/plugins/nodebb-plugin-emoji/emoji/styles.css?v=6983dobg16u I change the path url on config.json [image: 1645128773854-47bacc80-f141-41e4-a261-3f8d650cc6f6-image.png] And all it’s good Weird, I didn’t have to change that path before 1.19.3 But this does not prevent the problem from a clean install with Emoji Plugin EDIT: After test, that resolv the problem installation for 1.18.x but not for 1.19.x (I have other error message when I run ./nodebb Setup For resume: NodeJS 16_x with 1.18.x is ok
  • Adjusting the size of boxes in posts-list class

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    3
    3 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab thanks a lot, this combination works best .posts-list .posts-list-item .content { overflow: auto; max-height: 600px; }
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.
  • Iframely (Nodebb)

    Solved Configure
    40
    4 Votes
    40 Posts
    15k Views
    @DownPW This is now resolved. The issue was an incorrect URL specified in the Nodebb plugin. I’ve corrected this, and now it works as intended.