Skip to content

restarting nodebb on boot

Unsolved Configure
3 2 1.7k 1
  • I have asked this question on the nodebb forum but still very confused, if I may also take opinions here.
    In a power cut or glitch my server may restart. What is the best way to make nodebb forum come back up without doing manual start?
    I was looking at nodemon which I understand, but the nodebb docs suggest a method of adding somethings to a systemd file !
    Its more complicated, is it a better method or can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts?

  • I have asked this question on the nodebb forum but still very confused, if I may also take opinions here.
    In a power cut or glitch my server may restart. What is the best way to make nodebb forum come back up without doing manual start?
    I was looking at nodemon which I understand, but the nodebb docs suggest a method of adding somethings to a systemd file !
    Its more complicated, is it a better method or can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts?

    @eeeee Have you seen / read the below?

    https://docs.nodebb.org/configuring/running/

  • I have asked this question on the nodebb forum but still very confused, if I may also take opinions here.
    In a power cut or glitch my server may restart. What is the best way to make nodebb forum come back up without doing manual start?
    I was looking at nodemon which I understand, but the nodebb docs suggest a method of adding somethings to a systemd file !
    Its more complicated, is it a better method or can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts?

    @eeeee said in restarting nodebb on boot:

    can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts?

    It’s a better method. Nodemon just looks for file system changes and would effectively die if the server was rebooted meaning you’d have to start it again anyway. Systemd is the defacto standard which is how the operating system interacts in terms of services, scheduled tasks etc.


Related Topics
  • Nodebb to Xenforo

    Solved Configure xenforo nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @cagatay as @downpw stated, there isn’t a native tool that will do this for you. You’d need to either develop your own or ask the nodebb team to assist which will be a paid exercise.
  • CSS codes to prevent votes to disappear

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab yes, it is thanks a lot…
  • NodeBB: Consent page

    Solved Configure nodebb consent
    16
    4 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW I still do not see any issues.
  • NodeBB: Upgrading to NodeBB v3.x

    Solved Configure nodebb v3.x
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @mventures You’d need to connect to the server and execute it directly - not on your local terminal. Review the guide below, which will show you how to gain access via SSH to your server https://docs.ovh.com/gb/en/dedicated/ssh-introduction/ Once you have access, you’ll need to navigate to the actual folder where NodeBB is installed You’ll then need to change to the directory as shown below /home/unbuntu/nodebb [image: 1680448167972-fdffe673-bf63-4b6d-a728-5506fddc1aff-image.png] In most cases, initial access takes you to the root of the file system. You can always issue pwd in a Linux terminal which will show you the Present Working Directory. From there, you can issue the command cd /home/ubuntu/nodebb Once in the NodeBB directory, you’d use the below commands ./nodebb stop git fetch && git checkout develop && git reset --hard origin/develop ./nodebb upgrade ./nodebb start Line 1 stops the NodeBB instance Line 2 gets the latest files from GIT (repository) and then checks out the development branch. It then resets the version you are using to the development branch ready for v3 Line 3 Runs the upgrade once the new branch is set, and code pulled Line 4 Restarts the NodeBB instance after the upgrade has completed Note that when you restart NodeBB and log back in, things will look very different to what you had in v2.
  • NodeBB: The global Search option

    Solved Configure search nodebb
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    @mventures Yes, exactly. The other icon will restart NodeBB whilst the first icon I referenced will rebuild (recompile) it. The huge strength of NodeBB over Flarum (for example) is that the code is precompiled, and called once at boot. PHP’s code has to repeatedly reload code from source making it much slower.
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • what does sound/mute button do?

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    20
    1
    9 Votes
    20 Posts
    5k Views
    @crazycells Yeah, looking at the plugin itself, that’s a hard coded limit [image: 1653494282106-3d6dbc10-185b-4102-9470-0c2731a10750-image.png] I’ll probably remove that… eventually…
  • Iframely (Nodebb)

    Solved Configure
    40
    4 Votes
    40 Posts
    15k Views
    @DownPW This is now resolved. The issue was an incorrect URL specified in the Nodebb plugin. I’ve corrected this, and now it works as intended.