Skip to content

NodeBB: The global Search option

Solved Configure
5 2 1.4k 1
  • Hi,
    I noticed both on the NodeBB forum, Sudonix forum, and mine also, there is no Search functionality. I would like this very much because I would like people to search for a past answer before asking for a new one. Maybe, I am looking at the wrong place, or do I need to activate it from admin?

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

    @mventures Not quite - it’s because of this

    ff0a9849-5815-4c7a-853a-808fd325a779-image.png

    It’s installed, but not activated by default

    f6280a04-ace2-43a6-8e9a-4614efecba84-image.png

    Every time you install or uninstall a plugin, you need to rebuild NodeBB

    c638615a-4597-41f6-ad32-b552c8433c06-image.png

    f539df98-cb0c-4875-abf4-b61a60333ad5-image.png

    f311a7a0-05b7-4036-820d-85661410369b-image.png

    Confirm, and wait for NodeBB to restart

    bd46bebc-58c6-400a-a3f3-1bd09e17a5b0-image.png

    b1b5263e-f68a-4a34-99b6-5147979fb8af-image.png

    Now go back to your site

    You should see that Search has appeared

    39af2e82-15ec-4add-a758-f422b60c43ba-image.png

    I’ve done all of this for you, so this is for reference.

    Regds

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

    @mventures Not quite - it’s because of this

    ff0a9849-5815-4c7a-853a-808fd325a779-image.png

    It’s installed, but not activated by default

    f6280a04-ace2-43a6-8e9a-4614efecba84-image.png

    Every time you install or uninstall a plugin, you need to rebuild NodeBB

    c638615a-4597-41f6-ad32-b552c8433c06-image.png

    f539df98-cb0c-4875-abf4-b61a60333ad5-image.png

    f311a7a0-05b7-4036-820d-85661410369b-image.png

    Confirm, and wait for NodeBB to restart

    bd46bebc-58c6-400a-a3f3-1bd09e17a5b0-image.png

    b1b5263e-f68a-4a34-99b6-5147979fb8af-image.png

    Now go back to your site

    You should see that Search has appeared

    39af2e82-15ec-4add-a758-f422b60c43ba-image.png

    I’ve done all of this for you, so this is for reference.

    Regds

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • That’s awesome @phenomlab! Thank you. I can see it 🙂

    What did you mean by, “rebuild NodeBB”? And the whole rebuild happens by just clicking that “recycle” button?

  • That’s awesome @phenomlab! Thank you. I can see it 🙂

    What did you mean by, “rebuild NodeBB”? And the whole rebuild happens by just clicking that “recycle” button?

    @mventures Yes, exactly. The other icon will restart NodeBB whilst the first icon I referenced will rebuild (recompile) it.

    The huge strength of NodeBB over Flarum (for example) is that the code is precompiled, and called once at boot. PHP’s code has to repeatedly reload code from source making it much slower.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Nodebb to Xenforo

    Solved Configure xenforo nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @cagatay as @downpw stated, there isn’t a native tool that will do this for you. You’d need to either develop your own or ask the nodebb team to assist which will be a paid exercise.
  • NodeBB: updating Admin details not working

    Solved Configure nodebb admin
    17
    3 Votes
    17 Posts
    4k Views
    @mventures Ok. No issues
  • restarting nodebb on boot

    Unsolved Configure nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee said in restarting nodebb on boot: can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts? It’s a better method. Nodemon just looks for file system changes and would effectively die if the server was rebooted meaning you’d have to start it again anyway. Systemd is the defacto standard which is how the operating system interacts in terms of services, scheduled tasks etc.
  • MailGun Not Working NodeBB

    Solved Configure mail mailgun
    6
    1 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab did it i did not create smtp user on mailgun. everything is working now. [image: 1667569376261-6cc6061f-ed5d-41f6-8eb7-5d98f98b3706-image.png]
  • Blinking text Effect

    Customisation nodebb text effect css
    3
    5 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab I love it too @phenomlab said in Blinking text Effect: Has that “broken neon light” look that you see in films. It’s exactly that, kind of old neon signs of bar or pubs a bit cyberpunk too
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @downpw I’m inclined to agree with this. There isn’t much else you can do, and provided it works with no odd looking artefacts in other browsers, then ok. The :before and :after are pseudo classes and very well supported across all browsers (except perhaps Internet Exploder, but who uses that these days ?)
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.
  • Display tweets in widget [NodeBB]

    Solved Customisation
    29
    4 Votes
    29 Posts
    12k Views
    @phenomlab brilliant, many thanks Mark