Skip to content

NodeBB: The global Search option

Solved Configure
5 2 1.4k 1
  • Hi,
    I noticed both on the NodeBB forum, Sudonix forum, and mine also, there is no Search functionality. I would like this very much because I would like people to search for a past answer before asking for a new one. Maybe, I am looking at the wrong place, or do I need to activate it from admin?

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

    @mventures Not quite - it’s because of this

    ff0a9849-5815-4c7a-853a-808fd325a779-image.png

    It’s installed, but not activated by default

    f6280a04-ace2-43a6-8e9a-4614efecba84-image.png

    Every time you install or uninstall a plugin, you need to rebuild NodeBB

    c638615a-4597-41f6-ad32-b552c8433c06-image.png

    f539df98-cb0c-4875-abf4-b61a60333ad5-image.png

    f311a7a0-05b7-4036-820d-85661410369b-image.png

    Confirm, and wait for NodeBB to restart

    bd46bebc-58c6-400a-a3f3-1bd09e17a5b0-image.png

    b1b5263e-f68a-4a34-99b6-5147979fb8af-image.png

    Now go back to your site

    You should see that Search has appeared

    39af2e82-15ec-4add-a758-f422b60c43ba-image.png

    I’ve done all of this for you, so this is for reference.

    Regds

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

  • My apologies! I have found the Search field on NodeBB and your site. I just need to figure out how to get it on my site. Could it be because I have no posts yet?

    @mventures Not quite - it’s because of this

    ff0a9849-5815-4c7a-853a-808fd325a779-image.png

    It’s installed, but not activated by default

    f6280a04-ace2-43a6-8e9a-4614efecba84-image.png

    Every time you install or uninstall a plugin, you need to rebuild NodeBB

    c638615a-4597-41f6-ad32-b552c8433c06-image.png

    f539df98-cb0c-4875-abf4-b61a60333ad5-image.png

    f311a7a0-05b7-4036-820d-85661410369b-image.png

    Confirm, and wait for NodeBB to restart

    bd46bebc-58c6-400a-a3f3-1bd09e17a5b0-image.png

    b1b5263e-f68a-4a34-99b6-5147979fb8af-image.png

    Now go back to your site

    You should see that Search has appeared

    39af2e82-15ec-4add-a758-f422b60c43ba-image.png

    I’ve done all of this for you, so this is for reference.

    Regds

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • That’s awesome @phenomlab! Thank you. I can see it 🙂

    What did you mean by, “rebuild NodeBB”? And the whole rebuild happens by just clicking that “recycle” button?

  • That’s awesome @phenomlab! Thank you. I can see it 🙂

    What did you mean by, “rebuild NodeBB”? And the whole rebuild happens by just clicking that “recycle” button?

    @mventures Yes, exactly. The other icon will restart NodeBB whilst the first icon I referenced will rebuild (recompile) it.

    The huge strength of NodeBB over Flarum (for example) is that the code is precompiled, and called once at boot. PHP’s code has to repeatedly reload code from source making it much slower.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Opening links in nodebb widget

    Solved Configure nodebb
    6
    4 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    A more efficient way of including this would be to not over complicate it and leverage a standard iframe (providing the CSP headers of the remote site permit this) like below <iframe src="https://www.classmarker.com/online-test/start/?quiz=gag66aea7922f0a5" width="700" height="800"></iframe> This works first time every time on your site as intended.
  • navigation menu panel on mobile

    Solved Customisation nodebb css
    8
    1
    7 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @crazycells hmm. That’s odd. I haven’t made any changes from recollection but I could be wrong. I’ll need to check. EDIT - very strange. I honestly don’t recall adding the below CSS block to alter the bottom bar, but you’re right… .bottombar-nav { padding: 0px !important; } I’ve removed this so it reflects stock Harmony.
  • NodeBB: Creating the Swatch modes

    Solved Configure swatch
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    935 Views
    @mventures the swatch feature you refer to isn’t a NodeBB plugin, but a utility that I wrote that handles this. It is available for v2 (as you can see here) but I’ve stopped developing and releasing the code because it has been entirely rewritten to work for v3. If you’d like the code, this is possible, but you’ll need to upgrade to v3 first.
  • restarting nodebb on boot

    Unsolved Configure nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee said in restarting nodebb on boot: can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts? It’s a better method. Nodemon just looks for file system changes and would effectively die if the server was rebooted meaning you’d have to start it again anyway. Systemd is the defacto standard which is how the operating system interacts in terms of services, scheduled tasks etc.
  • fading in /tags page

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    32
    1
    30 Votes
    32 Posts
    12k Views
    Fix working perfectly
  • Configure SMTP for Nodebb

    Solved Configure
    14
    5 Votes
    14 Posts
    4k Views
    @marusaky based on the work completed thus far (in relation to PM exchanges), I’m going to mark this completed. Sending email from the server itself works fine without issue, and DNS appears to be clean (valid SPF, DMARC, and DKIM records). It appears that only Gmail marks incoming messages from your domain as spam - perhaps because of the domain age, which there is nothing we can do to prevent this. Mail delivery to all other domains appears to work fine in al of my tests.
  • creating topic specific widgets

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    16
    10 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @crazycells said in creating topic specific widgets: Additionally if hide class exists, why are we re-defining it? We’re not 🤭 I misspelled it - it should be hidden
  • [NodeBB] Creating new user to auto post content

    Solved Customisation
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab many thanks Mark .