Skip to content

Smart Widgets

Solved Configure
9 2 2.6k 1
  • I have an idea for a smart Widget,

    1. Without getting into the details of that yet, here is a more basic widget idea as an example.
      Lets say my html /js widget says
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”)
      Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
      So in this example, you could put
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

    2. I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
      What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops?

  • I have an idea for a smart Widget,

    1. Without getting into the details of that yet, here is a more basic widget idea as an example.
      Lets say my html /js widget says
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”)
      Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
      So in this example, you could put
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

    2. I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
      What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
    So in this example, you could put
    ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

    Yes, if you visit this site on a desktop, you’ll see that there is a footer bar that uses this exact function to display the logged in username.

    More detail here
    https://sudonix.org/topic/314/bottom-footer-navbar-button-extend/17?_=1685477223864

    I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
    What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops

    It’s a command from NodeBB core that uses socket.io

  • Thanks, I read through those posts. I tend to do more in js on canvas than CSS etc, and definitely dont want to use Jquery!
    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

  • Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • Thanks, I read through those posts. I tend to do more in js on canvas than CSS etc, and definitely dont want to use Jquery!
    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

    You could expose it this way

        function updateUsername() {
            $('.getUsername .username').text(app.user.username);
            $('.topicUsername').text(app.user.username);
        }
        if (document.readyState === 'loading') {
            document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', updateUsername);
        } else {
            updateUsername();
        }
    

    So in your use case, it would be

    ctx.fillText('name='+app.user.username);
    
  • Thanks, I read through those posts. I tend to do more in js on canvas than CSS etc, and definitely dont want to use Jquery!
    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    definitely dont want to use Jquery!

    Any specific reason for this?

  • I like to do things Vanilla unless there is real need for a library.
    Thats what I most disliked about Nextjs, even a basic project starts with a directory full of autogenerated files, and I had so many times when nothing was working.
    What would be the non-JQ way of doing this please?
    $(‘.getUsername .username’).text(app.user.username);

    chatgpt tells me
    document.querySelector(‘.getUsername.username’).textContent=app.user.username

    So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

  • I like to do things Vanilla unless there is real need for a library.
    Thats what I most disliked about Nextjs, even a basic project starts with a directory full of autogenerated files, and I had so many times when nothing was working.
    What would be the non-JQ way of doing this please?
    $(‘.getUsername .username’).text(app.user.username);

    chatgpt tells me
    document.querySelector(‘.getUsername.username’).textContent=app.user.username

    So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

    Because the library is already loaded in NodeBB, and forms a major part of the platform.

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17117/what-s-next-after-v3/17?_=1685522832798

  • Thanks. it worked. Actually It turned out
    ct1.fillText(app.user.username … etc
    worked without even running that function to ‘expose it’
    So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

  • Thanks. it worked. Actually It turned out
    ct1.fillText(app.user.username … etc
    worked without even running that function to ‘expose it’
    So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

    @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

    So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

    It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train 🙂


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • NodeBB v4.0.0

    General nodebb sudonix version 4
    28
    4 Votes
    28 Posts
    7k Views
    @Panda said in NodeBB v4.0.0: the workings of World aren’t intuitive Its not easy to get World populating when a forum is new to it This is a good point and one I’ve considered also. It’s a little confusing to be honest.
  • What plugins are being used here on Sudonix?

    Solved General nodebb plugins development
    6
    5 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @Roki-Antic Welcome! This site isn’t running Persona, but Harmony - a very heavily customised version at that. Do you have a URL where your site is currently located that is publicly accessible? Feel free to PM this info if you do not want to disclose here. Happy to help with any customisation needs.
  • how to prevent DDoS attacks ?

    Solved Vulnerability ddos nodebb
    34
    17 Votes
    34 Posts
    12k Views
    @phenomlab thank you very much, this was helpful. Everything looks ok
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • Can you adjust Admin settings on your NodeBB?

    Bugs nodebb
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda as, yes, now I understand and that makes 100% sense. It means those who get down voted can still have an opinion and use common services. And yes, you’re right. Rather than down vote, just ignore if you don’t agree.
  • Further Widgets question

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    1
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda category is for a category in its own, so for example, “fruit” whereas categories is the page that contains all categories as a list.
  • IRC Server/Client - Chat App with NodeBB

    Linux nodebb irc server client
    6
    1 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    @Hari not sure from the consumer perspective, but Skype has been all but completely consumed by Microsoft Teams when it comes to business usage.
  • [NodeBB] First post customization

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    5
    4 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab thanks