Skip to content

NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme

Discussion
22 4 11.0k 1
  • @DownPW I’ll need to look at the structure, but I can’t see why not.

    @phenomlab

    I also see another problem with this selector : he display all the default themes.
    We should be able to remove all those present by default and display only those we need

    in addition as soon as you do a CTRL + F5 or refresh web page with F5, it removes the theme lol

  • @phenomlab

    I also see another problem with this selector : he display all the default themes.
    We should be able to remove all those present by default and display only those we need

    in addition as soon as you do a CTRL + F5 or refresh web page with F5, it removes the theme lol

    @DownPW yes, I noticed that also. Looks like session data isn’t being retained.

  • @DownPW I’m running Harmony now on https://sudonix.dev 🙂 There is no swatch functionality from what I can see, so the code we developed is still up for the taking.

    @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    @DownPW I’m running Harmony now on https://sudonix.dev 🙂 There is no swatch functionality from what I can see, so the code we developed is still up for the taking.

    thanks for this one 👍
    I could check it more seriously…

  • Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.

    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…

    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/16908/january-2023-developer-update/15?_=1673947070798

  • Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.

    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…

    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/16908/january-2023-developer-update/15?_=1673947070798

    @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.
    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…
    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here

    Do you think I could go through your swatch rather than the one I have?

    Because I don’t believe you released your code here. Whether ?

    Either way, I know I’ll have to start all over again in these 2 cases

  • @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.
    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…
    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here

    Do you think I could go through your swatch rather than the one I have?

    Because I don’t believe you released your code here. Whether ?

    Either way, I know I’ll have to start all over again in these 2 cases

    @DownPW Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.

    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

  • @DownPW Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.

    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.
    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    Yes indeed, we have to focus on one main theme and not two. (Persona or Harmony)

    I don’t yet have the opinions of the other members of my team but since it’s I who will then develop the themes compatible with Harmony, I think that we will go towards the road of Harmony

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance 😉

  • @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.
    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    Yes indeed, we have to focus on one main theme and not two. (Persona or Harmony)

    I don’t yet have the opinions of the other members of my team but since it’s I who will then develop the themes compatible with Harmony, I think that we will go towards the road of Harmony

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance 😉

    @DownPW said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance

    More than happy to do so. In fact, BS5 makes it so much easier as LESS variables are being used, which we simply target and change. Far LESS (pun intended) work !

  • @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.
    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    Yes indeed, we have to focus on one main theme and not two. (Persona or Harmony)

    I don’t yet have the opinions of the other members of my team but since it’s I who will then develop the themes compatible with Harmony, I think that we will go towards the road of Harmony

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance 😉

    @DownPW I’ve started development work on Harmony in v3 and should have some beta code for you to test soon. Stay tuned!

  • @DownPW I’ve started development work on Harmony in v3 and should have some beta code for you to test soon. Stay tuned!

    @phenomlab Oh yeah very good news 😉

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab forked this topic on
  • hello mark

    here is my tutorial for install V3.00 but it’s for alpha3.0 like you see in command.

    cd /path/to/your/nodebb
    git rev-parse HEAD  # save this value in case you need to roll back  
    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    git reset --hard v3.0.0-alpha.3
    npm config set legacy-peer-deps true
    ./nodebb upgrade -mi
    ./nodebb build
    ./nodebb start
    

    – My questions :

    • How to know the name of the last version for V3 for install it (here is alpha.3) and adapt cli command above ?

    • How to upgrade the dev environment ? I know when Harmony it’s upgrade, we must upgrade boottrap 5

    – Here the command to upgrade bootstrap5 :

    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    

    Many thanks

  • hello mark

    here is my tutorial for install V3.00 but it’s for alpha3.0 like you see in command.

    cd /path/to/your/nodebb
    git rev-parse HEAD  # save this value in case you need to roll back  
    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    git reset --hard v3.0.0-alpha.3
    npm config set legacy-peer-deps true
    ./nodebb upgrade -mi
    ./nodebb build
    ./nodebb start
    

    – My questions :

    • How to know the name of the last version for V3 for install it (here is alpha.3) and adapt cli command above ?

    • How to upgrade the dev environment ? I know when Harmony it’s upgrade, we must upgrade boottrap 5

    – Here the command to upgrade bootstrap5 :

    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    

    Many thanks

  • Been playing with the user profile page this afternoon. Thought I’d post a video as I’m really pleased with how this came out


Related Topics
  • 4 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab oh no, that is 1 cent on the video, but you are right, symbols are similar… I just converted it to $1 , since it is more intuitive in daily life…
  • Nodebb design

    Solved General nodebb
    2
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda said in Nodebb design: One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum. From recollection, Google and Bing have the capability to read and process JS, although it’s not in the same manner as a physical person will consume content on a page. It will be seen as plain text, but will be indexed. However, it’s important to note that Yandex and Baidu will not render JS, although seeing as Google has a 90% share of the content available on the web in terms of indexing, this isn’t something you’ll likely lose sleep over. @Panda said in Nodebb design: The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions. This is mostly based around overall security - you won’t typically want a client machine changing database elements or altering data. This is why you have “client-side” which could be DOM manipulation etc, and “server-side” which performs more complex operations as it can communicate directly with the database whereas the client cannot (and if it can, then you have a serious security flaw). Reading from the API is perfectly acceptable on the client-side, but not being able to write. A paradigm here would be something like SNMP. This protocol exists as a UDP (UDP is very efficient, as it is “fire and forget” and does not wait for a response like TCP does) based service which reads performance data from a remote source, thus enabling an application to parse that data for use in a monitoring application. In all cases, SNMP access should be “RO” (Read Only) and not RW (Read Write). It is completely feasible to assume complete control over a firewall for example by having RW access to SNMP and then exposing it to the entire internet with a weak passphrase. You wouldn’t do it (at least, I hope you wouldn’t) and the same ethic applies to server-side rendering and the execution of commands.
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • adding some console.log to Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee if you’re using the console, you could try node app.js > app.log 2>&1 This would redirect stdout to a file named app.log and redirect stderr to stdout. I’m not sure about standard logging under NodeBB, but there is an error log located at logs/error.log. Failing that, you could always stop the NodeBB service then use ./nodebb dev from the console which would then provide debug output.
  • Gettin Erors NodeBB

    Solved Configure nodebb eror
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab no forum is working goods. there is no eror message since yestarday.
  • Q&A Plugin Changes NodeBB

    Solved Customisation nodebb q&a plugin
    25
    1
    6 Votes
    25 Posts
    10k Views
    @phenomlab said in Q&A Plugin Changes NodeBB: float: right; left: 10px; } worked thank you
  • Detect if user is admin

    General nodebb javascript code
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @pwsincd I think you can use userData.isAdmin = isAdmin; if I’m not mistaken - see https://community.nodebb.org/topic/15128/how-to-hide-whitelist-user-field-only-to-owner-or-admin?_=1648802303112 for an example
  • CSS codes for fa-info icon

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    9
    1
    6 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    I have just figured it out… it can be targeted with text-decoration-color: I was mistakenly using color