Skip to content

Adding fileWrite to nodebb code

Solved Configure
16 2 4.5k 1
  • @phenomlab thanks
    But something Im still not getting, Ive coded it to write to a file when that hash function is called, so I dont understand why it needs to be triggered by a hook event?
    Its like when it runs that function how can it not write the file, its not something that needs to be triggered by an action, it should just do it when that function runs?

    @eveh The hook will trigger, but not if you are modifying password.js directly as it will need to be recompiled. To execute the hook, you should use /admin/appearance/customise#custom-js

  • @eveh The hook will trigger, but not if you are modifying password.js directly as it will need to be recompiled. To execute the hook, you should use /admin/appearance/customise#custom-js

    @phenomlab
    Update, the basic file write did work, I found the txt file did have the ‘!o!’ string characters in.
    But the write of password never worked.
    I tried both (file, password…
    And then wondered if password is an object so tried unpacking it as a string, which didnt work)
    See below
    So its the way Im referencing password that might be problem?
    Screenshot_20221010-194743_Termius~2.jpg

  • @phenomlab
    Update, the basic file write did work, I found the txt file did have the ‘!o!’ string characters in.
    But the write of password never worked.
    I tried both (file, password…
    And then wondered if password is an object so tried unpacking it as a string, which didnt work)
    See below
    So its the way Im referencing password that might be problem?
    Screenshot_20221010-194743_Termius~2.jpg

    @eveh does the account you are running the under have permissions to the file storage ?

  • @eveh does the account you are running the under have permissions to the file storage ?

    @phenomlab yes, sure it does as its doimg the first write to the File,
    Just not where I reference password variable

  • @phenomlab yes, sure it does as its doimg the first write to the File,
    Just not where I reference password variable

    @eveh what’s the output if you stop NodeBB and then run it from the console as ./nodebb dev ?

  • @eveh what’s the output if you stop NodeBB and then run it from the console as ./nodebb dev ?

    @phenomlab could that make a difference if the first write is working?

  • @phenomlab could that make a difference if the first write is working?

    @eveh I don’t expect it to make a difference, no, but it should at least provide some debug logging so you can get an idea of why it fails.

  • @eveh I don’t expect it to make a difference, no, but it should at least provide some debug logging so you can get an idea of why it fails.

    @phenomlab i think issue may have been i didnt stop nodebb before i ran it again in dev

  • @phenomlab i think issue may have been i didnt stop nodebb before i ran it again in dev

    @eveh now you know why I said stop NodeBB first 😁

  • @eveh now you know why I said stop NodeBB first 😁

    @phenomlab Narrowed down this issue, its something to do with accessing these variables
    If I write text out like ‘User’ or ‘password’ that goes to the file.
    But when I try these variables or objects (whatever they are) it never works.
    Ive tried writing out User, password, JSON.stringify(password)
    I dont know how to reference what is contained in User or password
    Below screenshot of the plain text that does work!

    Screenshot_20221010-212300_Termius~2.jpg

    I dont know much about these module exports, or what is passed into the parameter

  • @phenomlab Narrowed down this issue, its something to do with accessing these variables
    If I write text out like ‘User’ or ‘password’ that goes to the file.
    But when I try these variables or objects (whatever they are) it never works.
    Ive tried writing out User, password, JSON.stringify(password)
    I dont know how to reference what is contained in User or password
    Below screenshot of the plain text that does work!

    Screenshot_20221010-212300_Termius~2.jpg

    I dont know much about these module exports, or what is passed into the parameter

    @eveh this might be a question for the NodeBB Devs themselves. In all honesty, I’m not entirely sure without having to research this myself.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Page control arrows for PWA

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    27
    25 Votes
    27 Posts
    13k Views
    @crazycells it is, yes - I think I’ll leave it as there is no specific PWA CSS classes I know of. Well, you could use something like the below, but this means multiple CSS files for different operating systems. /** * Determine the mobile operating system. * This function returns one of 'iOS', 'Android', 'Windows Phone', or 'unknown'. * * @returns {String} */ function getMobileOperatingSystem() { var userAgent = navigator.userAgent || navigator.vendor || window.opera; // Windows Phone must come first because its UA also contains "Android" if (/windows phone/i.test(userAgent)) { return "Windows Phone"; } if (/android/i.test(userAgent)) { return "Android"; } if (/iPad|iPhone|iPod/.test(userAgent) && !window.MSStream) { return "iOS"; } return "unknown"; // return “Android” - one should either handle the unknown or fallback to a specific platform, let’s say Android } Once you’re in that rabbit hole, it’s impossible to get out of it.
  • nodebb error logs

    Bugs nodebb
    6
    2
    4 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    I just wanted to ask because I don’t have much knowledge about the new installation. Thank you for the explanatory answer.
  • Custom html in nodebb to prevent cache

    Unsolved Configure nodebb
    18
    2 Votes
    18 Posts
    5k Views
    @Panda You’ll need to do that with js. With some quick CSS changes, it looks like this [image: 1690796279348-d619844f-fbfe-4cf1-a283-6b7364f6bf18-image.png] The colour choice is still really hard on the eye, but at least you can now read the text
  • Following the API docs but its not clear ...

    Solved Customisation api nodebb
    8
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda you’d be surprised. If you consider that you’d need to use the API to be able to populate a WordPress widget for example (which in turn would of course be PHP), taking this route is still immensely popular.
  • NodeBB: Upgrading to NodeBB v3.x

    Solved Configure nodebb v3.x
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @mventures You’d need to connect to the server and execute it directly - not on your local terminal. Review the guide below, which will show you how to gain access via SSH to your server https://docs.ovh.com/gb/en/dedicated/ssh-introduction/ Once you have access, you’ll need to navigate to the actual folder where NodeBB is installed You’ll then need to change to the directory as shown below /home/unbuntu/nodebb [image: 1680448167972-fdffe673-bf63-4b6d-a728-5506fddc1aff-image.png] In most cases, initial access takes you to the root of the file system. You can always issue pwd in a Linux terminal which will show you the Present Working Directory. From there, you can issue the command cd /home/ubuntu/nodebb Once in the NodeBB directory, you’d use the below commands ./nodebb stop git fetch && git checkout develop && git reset --hard origin/develop ./nodebb upgrade ./nodebb start Line 1 stops the NodeBB instance Line 2 gets the latest files from GIT (repository) and then checks out the development branch. It then resets the version you are using to the development branch ready for v3 Line 3 Runs the upgrade once the new branch is set, and code pulled Line 4 Restarts the NodeBB instance after the upgrade has completed Note that when you restart NodeBB and log back in, things will look very different to what you had in v2.
  • NodeBB: Creating the Swatch modes

    Solved Configure swatch
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    935 Views
    @mventures the swatch feature you refer to isn’t a NodeBB plugin, but a utility that I wrote that handles this. It is available for v2 (as you can see here) but I’ve stopped developing and releasing the code because it has been entirely rewritten to work for v3. If you’d like the code, this is possible, but you’ll need to upgrade to v3 first.
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • nodebb dropdown menu

    Solved Configure nodebb
    5
    1
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in nodebb dropdown menu: @kurulumu-net You set it like the below example taken from this site [image: 1637939951821-aae36790-3257-4bb2-ad5a-0d744309876a-image.png] Which presents this [image: 1637939983445-77f47260-2941-4afe-9614-8e17dcfc8c19-image.png] Very interesting… I actually thought this wasn’t possible, as I remember it being asked in the NodeBB forum. Is this something new that’s been implemented? I’ll 100% be doing that when I’m on the laptop over the weekend.