Skip to content

Adding fileWrite to nodebb code

Solved Configure
16 2 4.5k 1
  • I have a test nodebb (no live users) and I want to see what is / isnt possible, in regard to owners accessing passwords.
    In src/password.js I added
    const fs=require(‘fs’)
    and a line to write password to a txt file. It didnt even open a file (even when just writing a text string in simpler test … see screenshot)
    I also added the same to src/user/password.js as I assumed one of these files will be accessed when someone logs in.
    So why was no pasfi.txt file ever created?
    Disclamer, I would not obviously do this on a live forum, but Im curious
    Screenshot_20221010-141223_Termius~2.jpg

  • I have a test nodebb (no live users) and I want to see what is / isnt possible, in regard to owners accessing passwords.
    In src/password.js I added
    const fs=require(‘fs’)
    and a line to write password to a txt file. It didnt even open a file (even when just writing a text string in simpler test … see screenshot)
    I also added the same to src/user/password.js as I assumed one of these files will be accessed when someone logs in.
    So why was no pasfi.txt file ever created?
    Disclamer, I would not obviously do this on a live forum, but Im curious
    Screenshot_20221010-141223_Termius~2.jpg

    @eveh You’d need to recompile the password.js file for any changes to be picked up. This typically won’t work unless you use ./nodebb build && ./nodebb start. Even then, you may still require a local DEV instance of webpack.

    One other way would be to use one of the existing hooks in NodeBB and create a custom JS function for it.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • @eveh You’d need to recompile the password.js file for any changes to be picked up. This typically won’t work unless you use ./nodebb build && ./nodebb start. Even then, you may still require a local DEV instance of webpack.

    One other way would be to use one of the existing hooks in NodeBB and create a custom JS function for it.

    @phenomlab thanks, tried the recompile but still nothing.
    I have it running on a test server (so not locally)
    I tried reading up about hooks but didnt fully understand.
    If I use a non-async file write command would I still need that?
    Can you help me get started with this hook / webpack thing?

  • @phenomlab thanks, tried the recompile but still nothing.
    I have it running on a test server (so not locally)
    I tried reading up about hooks but didnt fully understand.
    If I use a non-async file write command would I still need that?
    Can you help me get started with this hook / webpack thing?

    @eveh said in Adding fileWrite to nodebb code:

    If I use a non-async file write command would I still need that?

    Yes, because you are changing one of the core files

    @eveh said in Adding fileWrite to nodebb code:

    I tried reading up about hooks but didnt fully understand.

    Did you review this page ?

    https://docs.nodebb.org/development/plugins/hooks/

    @eveh said in Adding fileWrite to nodebb code:

    Can you help me get started with this hook / webpack thing?

    That’s a question probably best asked over on the community forms, as that’s where the devs are located

    https://community.nodebb/org

  • @eveh said in Adding fileWrite to nodebb code:

    If I use a non-async file write command would I still need that?

    Yes, because you are changing one of the core files

    @eveh said in Adding fileWrite to nodebb code:

    I tried reading up about hooks but didnt fully understand.

    Did you review this page ?

    https://docs.nodebb.org/development/plugins/hooks/

    @eveh said in Adding fileWrite to nodebb code:

    Can you help me get started with this hook / webpack thing?

    That’s a question probably best asked over on the community forms, as that’s where the devs are located

    https://community.nodebb/org

    @phenomlab thanks
    But something Im still not getting, Ive coded it to write to a file when that hash function is called, so I dont understand why it needs to be triggered by a hook event?
    Its like when it runs that function how can it not write the file, its not something that needs to be triggered by an action, it should just do it when that function runs?

  • @phenomlab thanks
    But something Im still not getting, Ive coded it to write to a file when that hash function is called, so I dont understand why it needs to be triggered by a hook event?
    Its like when it runs that function how can it not write the file, its not something that needs to be triggered by an action, it should just do it when that function runs?

    @eveh The hook will trigger, but not if you are modifying password.js directly as it will need to be recompiled. To execute the hook, you should use /admin/appearance/customise#custom-js

  • @eveh The hook will trigger, but not if you are modifying password.js directly as it will need to be recompiled. To execute the hook, you should use /admin/appearance/customise#custom-js

    @phenomlab
    Update, the basic file write did work, I found the txt file did have the ‘!o!’ string characters in.
    But the write of password never worked.
    I tried both (file, password…
    And then wondered if password is an object so tried unpacking it as a string, which didnt work)
    See below
    So its the way Im referencing password that might be problem?
    Screenshot_20221010-194743_Termius~2.jpg

  • @phenomlab
    Update, the basic file write did work, I found the txt file did have the ‘!o!’ string characters in.
    But the write of password never worked.
    I tried both (file, password…
    And then wondered if password is an object so tried unpacking it as a string, which didnt work)
    See below
    So its the way Im referencing password that might be problem?
    Screenshot_20221010-194743_Termius~2.jpg

    @eveh does the account you are running the under have permissions to the file storage ?

  • @eveh does the account you are running the under have permissions to the file storage ?

    @phenomlab yes, sure it does as its doimg the first write to the File,
    Just not where I reference password variable

  • @phenomlab yes, sure it does as its doimg the first write to the File,
    Just not where I reference password variable

    @eveh what’s the output if you stop NodeBB and then run it from the console as ./nodebb dev ?

  • @eveh what’s the output if you stop NodeBB and then run it from the console as ./nodebb dev ?

    @phenomlab could that make a difference if the first write is working?

  • @phenomlab could that make a difference if the first write is working?

    @eveh I don’t expect it to make a difference, no, but it should at least provide some debug logging so you can get an idea of why it fails.

  • @eveh I don’t expect it to make a difference, no, but it should at least provide some debug logging so you can get an idea of why it fails.

    @phenomlab i think issue may have been i didnt stop nodebb before i ran it again in dev

  • @phenomlab i think issue may have been i didnt stop nodebb before i ran it again in dev

    @eveh now you know why I said stop NodeBB first 😁

  • @eveh now you know why I said stop NodeBB first 😁

    @phenomlab Narrowed down this issue, its something to do with accessing these variables
    If I write text out like ‘User’ or ‘password’ that goes to the file.
    But when I try these variables or objects (whatever they are) it never works.
    Ive tried writing out User, password, JSON.stringify(password)
    I dont know how to reference what is contained in User or password
    Below screenshot of the plain text that does work!

    Screenshot_20221010-212300_Termius~2.jpg

    I dont know much about these module exports, or what is passed into the parameter

  • @phenomlab Narrowed down this issue, its something to do with accessing these variables
    If I write text out like ‘User’ or ‘password’ that goes to the file.
    But when I try these variables or objects (whatever they are) it never works.
    Ive tried writing out User, password, JSON.stringify(password)
    I dont know how to reference what is contained in User or password
    Below screenshot of the plain text that does work!

    Screenshot_20221010-212300_Termius~2.jpg

    I dont know much about these module exports, or what is passed into the parameter

    @eveh this might be a question for the NodeBB Devs themselves. In all honesty, I’m not entirely sure without having to research this myself.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • TNG + Nodebb

    General tng genealogy nodebb plugin
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @Madchatthew said in TNG + Nodebb: you have to try and use duck tape and super glue to change something to make it do what you want it to do I couldn’t have put that better myself.
  • NodeBB v3 Chat Very Slow

    Moved Performance nodebb v3 nodebb chat
    47
    11 Votes
    47 Posts
    19k Views
    @DownPW Seems fine.
  • build nodebb Warning in entrypoint size limit

    Solved Performance nodebb
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @eeeee they are nothing to worry about, and can be ignored.
  • NodeBB: The global Search option

    Solved Configure search nodebb
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    @mventures Yes, exactly. The other icon will restart NodeBB whilst the first icon I referenced will rebuild (recompile) it. The huge strength of NodeBB over Flarum (for example) is that the code is precompiled, and called once at boot. PHP’s code has to repeatedly reload code from source making it much slower.
  • [NODEBB] Welcome Message

    Solved Customisation css html nodebb
    20
    2
    13 Votes
    20 Posts
    8k Views
    @DownPW the ‘js’ code for the banner takes the time from the client, so what it displays really depends on the regional settings for the operating system. I’ve not seen this issue myself but would like to see some examples of screenshots if possible.
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.
  • Iframely (Nodebb)

    Solved Configure
    40
    4 Votes
    40 Posts
    15k Views
    @DownPW This is now resolved. The issue was an incorrect URL specified in the Nodebb plugin. I’ve corrected this, and now it works as intended.
  • nodebb-plugin-customize error

    Solved Customisation
    25
    2 Votes
    25 Posts
    15k Views
    @phenomlab it work, thanks