Skip to content

Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

Bugs
11 3 3.4k 1
  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

    @Panda What theme are you using? I’m not familiar with a side panel in the admin console. Can you provide a screenshot?

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

    @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

  • @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

    @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda You make some good points here - I too often need to make changes on the move, but just “accepted” thaty some things (like widgets) can’t be manipulated on mobile devices.

    WordPress has always been like that incidentally.

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda said in Why CSS acts different in Desktop?:

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    Yes, I am able to replicate on Android, but on an iPhone, it behaves differently in the sense that you request the desktop site, but it simply defaults to mobile.

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

    @DownPW it works for the most part, but anything that utilizes drag and drop like widgets is a non starter.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

    @DownPW I’d have to agree with that.


Related Topics
  • nodebb error logs

    Bugs nodebb
    6
    2
    4 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    I just wanted to ask because I don’t have much knowledge about the new installation. Thank you for the explanatory answer.
  • 4 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda said in Upgrade to NodeBB v3? 2BB or not 2BB, that is the question!: So although thats a plugin it has Widget like element and stopped working on the Theme change Which is normal based on the widgets being reset when you change themes.
  • Email validation NodeBB

    Bugs nodebb
    21
    3 Votes
    21 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda said in Email validation NodeBB: Did you configure that as a custom change to the usual quote icon. How do you do that? I notice on NodeBB site its a solid blue quotes Yes, I changed it. NodeBB by default users the free font awesome library whereas I use the pro (paid) version SDK have access to a wider set of icons, and at different thicknesses etc. The change of colour is just simple CSS.
  • Gettin Erors NodeBB

    Solved Configure nodebb eror
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab no forum is working goods. there is no eror message since yestarday.
  • Post Style View

    Solved Customisation post style sudonix nodebb
    67
    2
    18 Votes
    67 Posts
    32k Views
    @cagatay Just add margin-left on the element like @phenomlab said to you : topic [component="post/parent"] { margin-left: 10px; } [image: 1669191112290-aa08c62b-4223-4cba-8c0f-c73d50474c0d-image.png] Maybe @phenomlab have a better way
  • How to fix header side as boxed

    Solved Customisation header boxed sudonix nodebb
    10
    1
    6 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab yes it caused a problem for mobile users. thank you for helping …
  • Recent Cards plugin customization

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    21
    1
    13 Votes
    21 Posts
    11k Views
    @pobojmoks that’s easily done by modifying the code provided here so that it targets background rather than border In essence, the below should work $(document).ready(function() { $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function(data) { $('.recent-card-container').each(function(i) { var dataId = $(this).attr("data-cid"); var color = $('[role="presentation"]', this).css("background-color"); console.log("data-cid " + dataId + " is " + color); $('[data-cid="' + dataId + '"] .recent-card').attr("style", "background-color: " + color); }); }); });
  • WordPress & NodeBB

    Solved WordPress
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @jac That won’t matter. You just redirect at nginx or apache level and it’ll work. The generally accepted standard though is to use a subdomain.