Skip to content

Fixed background to nodebb forum

Solved Configure
25 2 9.0k 1
  • I’ve been asked to do this:

    On the forum, mobile friendly and on PC you’ll get a fire coloured gradient for the background with everything within a frame on top of that background so the frame can be scrolled but the background doesn’t change.
    Centred experience such as tumblr or twitter in the sense that it’s the info that gets scrolled but not the whole page

    The forum is nodebb hosted, so although I can add custom CSS or Javascript, where can I upload the image to use?
    Also what CSS to write please?

  • I’ve been asked to do this:

    On the forum, mobile friendly and on PC you’ll get a fire coloured gradient for the background with everything within a frame on top of that background so the frame can be scrolled but the background doesn’t change.
    Centred experience such as tumblr or twitter in the sense that it’s the info that gets scrolled but not the whole page

    The forum is nodebb hosted, so although I can add custom CSS or Javascript, where can I upload the image to use?
    Also what CSS to write please?

    @Panda this is untested as I’m not in front of a PC currently, but should work

    body {
    background-image: url("/path/to/your/image.jpg");
    min-height: 100%;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-attachment: fixed;
    background-position: center;
    background-size: cover;
    }
    

    The image can be hosted anywhere outside of the NodeBB ecosystem provided it is reachable from any machine with an Internet connection. It doesn’t necessarily need to be on the site itself

  • @Panda this is untested as I’m not in front of a PC currently, but should work

    body {
    background-image: url("/path/to/your/image.jpg");
    min-height: 100%;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-attachment: fixed;
    background-position: center;
    background-size: cover;
    }
    

    The image can be hosted anywhere outside of the NodeBB ecosystem provided it is reachable from any machine with an Internet connection. It doesn’t necessarily need to be on the site itself

    @phenomlab there was error, close } without opening {

    Is there missing line at start?

    On that topic the brackets and some words in that code block (center , cover etc) are very feint to read on my device?

  • Ah I figured out needed
    body {

    Its working but got this funny response as if background is being clicked, and slightly moves sometimes, when you scroll up and down on forum content

  • Apart from the slight move issue
    The dark background was also too stong and making forum text hard to read.

    I asked chatGPT for fix, both its suggestions didnt work

    1st suggestion change alpha value on rgb made no difference

    Screenshot_20230730_153940_Chrome~2.jpg

    2nd idea, filter:

    Screenshot_20230730_154031_Chrome~2.jpg

    This only made forum text weaker!

    Its now saying I need to edit the image in a paint program, and save it with more transparency, but as Im loading from website I cant do that

    Is there a CSS way to reduce alpha value on image from external url?

  • Ah I figured out needed
    body {

    Its working but got this funny response as if background is being clicked, and slightly moves sometimes, when you scroll up and down on forum content

    @Panda yes, sorry. I’ve updated the original post

  • Apart from the slight move issue
    The dark background was also too stong and making forum text hard to read.

    I asked chatGPT for fix, both its suggestions didnt work

    1st suggestion change alpha value on rgb made no difference

    Screenshot_20230730_153940_Chrome~2.jpg

    2nd idea, filter:

    Screenshot_20230730_154031_Chrome~2.jpg

    This only made forum text weaker!

    Its now saying I need to edit the image in a paint program, and save it with more transparency, but as Im loading from website I cant do that

    Is there a CSS way to reduce alpha value on image from external url?

    @Panda there is. What you are seeing here with the image moving when clicked is called Cumulative Layout Shift which occurs when the body height is set incorrectly.

    Filter and Opacity are a bad idea as you are targeting the body element meaning all ancestors are affected by that change which in turn makes the text even harder to read.

    Tired want to use a overlay with the image, to add background color with transparency which should solve the issue.

  • @Panda there is. What you are seeing here with the image moving when clicked is called Cumulative Layout Shift which occurs when the body height is set incorrectly.

    Filter and Opacity are a bad idea as you are targeting the body element meaning all ancestors are affected by that change which in turn makes the text even harder to read.

    Tired want to use a overlay with the image, to add background color with transparency which should solve the issue.

    @phenomlab
    I did try putting 95% height, but didnt solve it

    Re: putting a background color on…
    If you look at the aignite site can you suggest what line to put to make the dark background more transparent

    I try to avoid CSS, so dont know it!

  • @phenomlab
    I did try putting 95% height, but didnt solve it

    Re: putting a background color on…
    If you look at the aignite site can you suggest what line to put to make the dark background more transparent

    I try to avoid CSS, so dont know it!

    @Panda said in Fixed background to nodebb forum:

    I try to avoid CSS, so dont know it!

    You’ll never avoid having to use it. I’d recommend you start to learn it because you’ll come across this in all aspects of web development.

  • @Panda said in Fixed background to nodebb forum:

    I try to avoid CSS, so dont know it!

    You’ll never avoid having to use it. I’d recommend you start to learn it because you’ll come across this in all aspects of web development.

    @phenomlab making min height 90% fixed it 😊

  • Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • @phenomlab making min height 90% fixed it 😊

    @Panda Good. And the background image with the text?

  • @Panda Good. And the background image with the text?

    @phenomlab
    Sort of …
    Its taken me ages to get a skin that looks ok even over a feint background

    If I pick a skin can I change just one of the colors if its not dark enough?

  • @phenomlab
    Sort of …
    Its taken me ages to get a skin that looks ok even over a feint background

    If I pick a skin can I change just one of the colors if its not dark enough?

    @Panda yes, but you should start with a sane value and work backwards. The lower the last number in terms of rgba the higher the transparency.

  • @Panda yes, but you should start with a sane value and work backwards. The lower the last number in terms of rgba the higher the transparency.

    @phenomlab ah ok
    So how do I change one color in a skin?

  • @phenomlab ah ok
    So how do I change one color in a skin?

    @Panda first, define “skin”

  • @Panda first, define “skin”

    @phenomlab I go to admin menu and select skins
    Current one is Quartz

  • @phenomlab I go to admin menu and select skins
    Current one is Quartz

    @Panda ok, but which code runs this? Is it mine, or someone else’s work (it does make a difference.

    Edit - ok, unless I login, I cannot change the skin if it’s under admin. I’m being forced to wear sunglasses currently.

  • @Panda ok, but which code runs this? Is it mine, or someone else’s work (it does make a difference.

    Edit - ok, unless I login, I cannot change the skin if it’s under admin. I’m being forced to wear sunglasses currently.

    @phenomlab
    on aignite.nodebb.com I want to pick skin with colors that look ok over back image.
    But all the skins I try have at least one text color that is light and hard to see over image

  • @phenomlab
    on aignite.nodebb.com I want to pick skin with colors that look ok over back image.
    But all the skins I try have at least one text color that is light and hard to see over image

    @Panda it seems you are using the NodeBB skins which frankly, are terrible. They are all based on bootswatch and all have issues.

    You really need to custom develop a skin if your want it to look right.

  • @Panda it seems you are using the NodeBB skins which frankly, are terrible. They are all based on bootswatch and all have issues.

    You really need to custom develop a skin if your want it to look right.

    @phenomlab yea, this is what Im asking,
    Using a skin but maybe modifying one of the color choices


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Getting Eror When Started NodeBB

    Solved Configure bug
    7
    1
    2 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab yes i did. i deleted one of plugin then it started to work normally.
  • NodeBB: hCaptcha

    Solved Configure hcaptcha
    15
    2 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @mventures none that I know of. I don’t recall selecting these either for mine.
  • Upgrade Problem from 2.8.3 to 2.8.4

    Solved Configure nodebb
    35
    1
    8 Votes
    35 Posts
    10k Views
    @cagatay No, you can ignore that.
  • 5 Votes
    13 Posts
    3k Views
    'use strict'; const winston = require('winston'); const user = require('../user'); const notifications = require('../notifications'); const sockets = require('../socket.io'); const plugins = require('../plugins'); const meta = require('../meta'); module.exports = function (Messaging) { Messaging.notifyQueue = {}; // Only used to notify a user of a new chat message, see Messaging.notifyUser Messaging.notifyUsersInRoom = async (fromUid, roomId, messageObj) => { let uids = await Messaging.getUidsInRoom(roomId, 0, -1); uids = await user.blocks.filterUids(fromUid, uids); let data = { roomId: roomId, fromUid: fromUid, message: messageObj, uids: uids, }; data = await plugins.hooks.fire('filter:messaging.notify', data); if (!data || !data.uids || !data.uids.length) { return; } uids = data.uids; uids.forEach((uid) => { data.self = parseInt(uid, 10) === parseInt(fromUid, 10) ? 1 : 0; Messaging.pushUnreadCount(uid); sockets.in(`uid_${uid}`).emit('event:chats.receive', data); }); if (messageObj.system) { return; } // Delayed notifications let queueObj = Messaging.notifyQueue[`${fromUid}:${roomId}`]; if (queueObj) { queueObj.message.content += `\n${messageObj.content}`; clearTimeout(queueObj.timeout); } else { queueObj = { message: messageObj, }; Messaging.notifyQueue[`${fromUid}:${roomId}`] = queueObj; } queueObj.timeout = setTimeout(async () => { try { await sendNotifications(fromUid, uids, roomId, queueObj.message); } catch (err) { winston.error(`[messaging/notifications] Unabled to send notification\n${err.stack}`); } }, meta.config.notificationSendDelay * 1000); }; async function sendNotifications(fromuid, uids, roomId, messageObj) { const isOnline = await user.isOnline(uids); uids = uids.filter((uid, index) => !isOnline[index] && parseInt(fromuid, 10) !== parseInt(uid, 10)); if (!uids.length) { return; } if (roomId != 11) { // 5 Is the ID of the ID of the global chat room. Messaging.getUidsInRoom(roomId, 0, -1); // Proceed as normal. } else { user.getUidsFromSet('users:online', 0, -1); // Only notify online users. } const { displayname } = messageObj.fromUser; const isGroupChat = await Messaging.isGroupChat(roomId); const notification = await notifications.create({ type: isGroupChat ? 'new-group-chat' : 'new-chat', subject: `email:notif.chat.subject, ${displayname}`, bodyShort: `notifications:new_message_from, ${displayname}`, bodyLong: messageObj.content, nid: `chat_${fromuid}_${roomId}`, from: fromuid, path: `/chats/${messageObj.roomId}`, }); delete Messaging.notifyQueue[`${fromuid}:${roomId}`]; notifications.push(notification, uids); } };
  • How to fix size of photos & videos NodeBB

    Solved Customisation nodebb nodebb size
    7
    3 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @crazycells pleasure. Using percentages makes much more sense in this case. It’s the same argument with px vs pt vs em with fonts, margins, padding, etc., in the sense that em is generally preferred over px and pt https://stackoverflow.com/questions/609517/why-em-instead-of-px
  • is "night mode" shifting the forum several pixels up?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    4 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @crazycells hmm. Good point. I actually use my own version of the dark mode plugin, so not entirely sure. However, I think the CSS is probably the same. I’m not at my PC currently but can check and advise later.
  • Forum not loading

    Solved Configure
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    10k Views
    @phenomlab Brilliant!! Thanks ever so much!! Now I need to try pull in new members
  • RSS parser script [NodeBB]

    Customisation nodebb rss script
    47
    9 Votes
    47 Posts
    21k Views
    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]: @jac Not yet. Sorry. Have some other work commitments I need to prioritise. Hoping to get to this over the weekend. No worries at all mate, thanks