Skip to content

ineffecient use of space on mobile

Solved Customisation
10 2 3.6k 1
  • Hi @phenomlab ,

    When I access these pages that show posts on mobile:

    /posts
    /best
    /controversial

    I see something like this:
    Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 1.11.28 PM.png

    This is how it looks on default. Our forum is the same, NodeBB community forum is the same…

    Although this page design does not bother me on desktop, I feel on mobile ~40% of the page is wasted for space…

    1. I wonder your opinion about this.

    2. Do you think these pages can be re-designed with CSS codes?

    I thought something like this, as in the topics… so, the blue line and avatar goes to the right side edge… username comes next to avatar, date goes to the left side… And of course “the post area” will be expanded to whole page…

    Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 1.11.28 PM copy.jpg

  • @phenomlab said in ineffecient use of space on mobile:

    @crazycells It’s all CSS !

    great. Can you please share it when it is ready? I am looking forward to it.

    I have realized this recently, after using “/best-posts” plugin… it is very hard to follow these posts on mobile…

    @crazycells I knew that was coming 😄 - here it is

    @media (max-width: 767px) {
    .posts-list .posts-list-item {
        width: auto;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-body {
        border-right: none !important;
        width: 100%;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
        position: revert;
        left: 0px;
        width: 500px;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author {
        max-width: none !important;
        display: flex;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author span {
        margin-left: 10px;
    }
    }
    

    Some other adjustments to get even more estate on mobile (30px either side) - your tastes may vary

    @media (max-width: 767px) {
    .posts-list .posts-list-item {
        width: auto;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
        position: revert;
        left: 0px;
        width: 100%;
        margin-left: 15px;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author {
        max-width: none !important;
        display: flex;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-body {
        border-right: none !important;
        width: 100%;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author span {
        margin-left: 10px;
    }
    }
    

    The second CSS block gives you this

    1a9607f4-c011-4521-ba7b-e1b5fe44a045-image.png

    A final note that this of course does not include the colour scheme. This is from “Midnight” - a new theme I’ve developed in DEV which is almost ready for release, but has a few bugs I need to iron out first. I’ll publish a blog post on this new theme set soon.

  • Hi @phenomlab ,

    When I access these pages that show posts on mobile:

    /posts
    /best
    /controversial

    I see something like this:
    Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 1.11.28 PM.png

    This is how it looks on default. Our forum is the same, NodeBB community forum is the same…

    Although this page design does not bother me on desktop, I feel on mobile ~40% of the page is wasted for space…

    1. I wonder your opinion about this.

    2. Do you think these pages can be re-designed with CSS codes?

    I thought something like this, as in the topics… so, the blue line and avatar goes to the right side edge… username comes next to avatar, date goes to the left side… And of course “the post area” will be expanded to whole page…

    Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 1.11.28 PM copy.jpg

    @crazycells Funny you should mention that ! I was looking at this in my DEV environment yesterday and decided to alter the layout a bit

    bae79dbc-d2ef-4ceb-b25b-1bbcc24561bd-image.png

    My personal thoughts are that this looks much better and is easier to read 🙂

  • @crazycells Funny you should mention that ! I was looking at this in my DEV environment yesterday and decided to alter the layout a bit

    bae79dbc-d2ef-4ceb-b25b-1bbcc24561bd-image.png

    My personal thoughts are that this looks much better and is easier to read 🙂

    @phenomlab said in ineffecient use of space on mobile:

    @crazycells Funny you should mention that ! I was looking at this in my DEV environment yesterday and decided to alter the layout a bit

    lol, let’s say “great minds think alike” 😄

  • @crazycells Funny you should mention that ! I was looking at this in my DEV environment yesterday and decided to alter the layout a bit

    bae79dbc-d2ef-4ceb-b25b-1bbcc24561bd-image.png

    My personal thoughts are that this looks much better and is easier to read 🙂

    @phenomlab yes, I think this is definitely way better than the current form…

    Is this all CSS? or have you changed the codes in files as well?

  • @phenomlab yes, I think this is definitely way better than the current form…

    Is this all CSS? or have you changed the codes in files as well?

    @crazycells It’s all CSS !

  • @crazycells It’s all CSS !

    @phenomlab said in ineffecient use of space on mobile:

    @crazycells It’s all CSS !

    great. Can you please share it when it is ready? I am looking forward to it.

    I have realized this recently, after using “/best-posts” plugin… it is very hard to follow these posts on mobile…

  • @phenomlab said in ineffecient use of space on mobile:

    @crazycells It’s all CSS !

    great. Can you please share it when it is ready? I am looking forward to it.

    I have realized this recently, after using “/best-posts” plugin… it is very hard to follow these posts on mobile…

    @crazycells I knew that was coming 😄 - here it is

    @media (max-width: 767px) {
    .posts-list .posts-list-item {
        width: auto;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-body {
        border-right: none !important;
        width: 100%;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
        position: revert;
        left: 0px;
        width: 500px;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author {
        max-width: none !important;
        display: flex;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author span {
        margin-left: 10px;
    }
    }
    

    Some other adjustments to get even more estate on mobile (30px either side) - your tastes may vary

    @media (max-width: 767px) {
    .posts-list .posts-list-item {
        width: auto;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
        position: revert;
        left: 0px;
        width: 100%;
        margin-left: 15px;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author {
        max-width: none !important;
        display: flex;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-body {
        border-right: none !important;
        width: 100%;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author span {
        margin-left: 10px;
    }
    }
    

    The second CSS block gives you this

    1a9607f4-c011-4521-ba7b-e1b5fe44a045-image.png

    A final note that this of course does not include the colour scheme. This is from “Midnight” - a new theme I’ve developed in DEV which is almost ready for release, but has a few bugs I need to iron out first. I’ll publish a blog post on this new theme set soon.

  • @crazycells I knew that was coming 😄 - here it is

    @media (max-width: 767px) {
    .posts-list .posts-list-item {
        width: auto;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-body {
        border-right: none !important;
        width: 100%;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
        position: revert;
        left: 0px;
        width: 500px;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author {
        max-width: none !important;
        display: flex;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author span {
        margin-left: 10px;
    }
    }
    

    Some other adjustments to get even more estate on mobile (30px either side) - your tastes may vary

    @media (max-width: 767px) {
    .posts-list .posts-list-item {
        width: auto;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
        position: revert;
        left: 0px;
        width: 100%;
        margin-left: 15px;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author {
        max-width: none !important;
        display: flex;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-body {
        border-right: none !important;
        width: 100%;
    }
    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info .post-author span {
        margin-left: 10px;
    }
    }
    

    The second CSS block gives you this

    1a9607f4-c011-4521-ba7b-e1b5fe44a045-image.png

    A final note that this of course does not include the colour scheme. This is from “Midnight” - a new theme I’ve developed in DEV which is almost ready for release, but has a few bugs I need to iron out first. I’ll publish a blog post on this new theme set soon.

    @phenomlab said in ineffecient use of space on mobile:

    @crazycells I knew that was coming - here it is

    lol of course 😄

    Thanks a lot. It is definitely much better than the previous version…

    Since we have not adapted posts as boxes yet, I would like to separate the posts by a line from edge to edge… but not sure what classes should I use? I know the code will be something like this:

    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #000;
    }
    

    but this does not extend from edge to edge. Do you have any other suggestions to separate posts from each other?

    Actually, it looks good when I add:

        margin-bottom: 35px;
    

    but, I wanted to ask in case you have a better solution.

  • @phenomlab said in ineffecient use of space on mobile:

    @crazycells I knew that was coming - here it is

    lol of course 😄

    Thanks a lot. It is definitely much better than the previous version…

    Since we have not adapted posts as boxes yet, I would like to separate the posts by a line from edge to edge… but not sure what classes should I use? I know the code will be something like this:

    .posts-list .posts-list-item .post-info {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #000;
    }
    

    but this does not extend from edge to edge. Do you have any other suggestions to separate posts from each other?

    Actually, it looks good when I add:

        margin-bottom: 35px;
    

    but, I wanted to ask in case you have a better solution.

    @crazycells This is fine. The generally accepted way of adding a space between elements is to use margin so you’re on the right track.

  • @crazycells This is fine. The generally accepted way of adding a space between elements is to use margin so you’re on the right track.

    @phenomlab Thanks 🙏

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • crazycellsundefined crazycells referenced this topic on

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • 2 Votes
    1 Posts
    502 Views
    No one has replied
  • CSS codes to prevent votes to disappear

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab yes, it is thanks a lot…
  • 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    No one has replied
  • Smart Widgets

    Solved Configure nodebb
    9
    3 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @Panda said in Smart Widgets: So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object? It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train
  • NodeBB 3.0 alpha1 : Error on install

    Solved Configure nodebb version 3 install error
    19
    2 Votes
    19 Posts
    6k Views
    @phenomlab Work now
  • Title on homepage of nodebb forum

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    2
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    @eveh Welcome board The code you are referring to is custom written as no such functionality exists under NodeBB. However, adding the functionality is relatively trivial. Below are the required steps Navigate to /admin/appearance/customise#custom-header Add the below code to your header, and save once completed <ol id="mainbanner" class="breadcrumb"><li id="addtext">Your Title Goes Here</li></ol> Navigate to /admin/appearance/customise#custom-js and add the below code, then save $(document).ready(function() { $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function(data) { // Initialise mainbanner ID, but hide it from view $('#mainbanner').hide(); var pathname = window.location.pathname; if (pathname === "/") { $("#addtext").text("Your Title"); $('#mainbanner').show(); } else {} // If we want to add a title to a sub page, uncomment the below and adjust accordingly //if (pathname === "/yourpath") { //$("#addtext").text("Your Title"); //$('#mainbanner').show(); //} }); }); Navigate to /admin/appearance/customise#custom-css and add the below CSS block .breadcrumb { right: 0; margin-right: auto; text-align: center; background: #0086c4; color: #ffffff; width: 100vw; position: relative; margin-left: -50vw; left: 50%; top: 50px; position: fixed; z-index: 1020; } Note, that you will need to adjust your CSS code to suit your own site / requirements.
  • 11 Votes
    23 Posts
    9k Views
    @DownPW No issues. Thanks to the Google Chrome “bug”, it does have some restrictions, but works fine other than that. I have an odd issue where it doesn’t work on Firefox mobile, but works fine on Firefox desktop.
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.