Skip to content

Social icon (Nodebb)

Solved Customisation
7 2 2.7k 1
  • Hi Mark,

    This title may not be relevant so feel free to change it.

    I’m looking to add an image so when I post to social profiles etc it displays an image instead of the NodeBB logo.

    How do I achieve this?

    Many thanks

  • Hi Mark,

    This title may not be relevant so feel free to change it.

    I’m looking to add an image so when I post to social profiles etc it displays an image instead of the NodeBB logo.

    How do I achieve this?

    Many thanks

    @jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/15650/default-image-when-sharing-topics-posts

    but, I never got a response 😠 - however, there is an OG image (Open Graph) which you can apply at

    /admin/settings/general

    Which (I think) should give you a default image (which you of course specify by uploading) for sharing on social media.

    EDIT - on checking, this does indeed work. Once the image is applied, the Open Graph tags are present in each post - see below

    <meta property="og:title" content="Social icon (Nodebb)" />
    <meta property="og:description" content="@jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community   	  	 		 			  				 					                                                          May 11  /  Technical Support                                                                         ..." />
    <meta property="og:type" content="article" />
    <meta property="article:published_time" content="2021-12-04T16:58:18.479Z" />
    <meta property="article:modified_time" content="2021-12-04T17:28:05.608Z" />
    <meta property="article:section" content="Customisation" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:width" content="1900" />
    <meta property="og:image:height" content="950" />
    <meta property="og:url" content="https://sudonix.com/topic/162/social-icon-nodebb/2" />
    
  • @jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/15650/default-image-when-sharing-topics-posts

    but, I never got a response 😠 - however, there is an OG image (Open Graph) which you can apply at

    /admin/settings/general

    Which (I think) should give you a default image (which you of course specify by uploading) for sharing on social media.

    EDIT - on checking, this does indeed work. Once the image is applied, the Open Graph tags are present in each post - see below

    <meta property="og:title" content="Social icon (Nodebb)" />
    <meta property="og:description" content="@jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community   	  	 		 			  				 					                                                          May 11  /  Technical Support                                                                         ..." />
    <meta property="og:type" content="article" />
    <meta property="article:published_time" content="2021-12-04T16:58:18.479Z" />
    <meta property="article:modified_time" content="2021-12-04T17:28:05.608Z" />
    <meta property="article:section" content="Customisation" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:width" content="1900" />
    <meta property="og:image:height" content="950" />
    <meta property="og:url" content="https://sudonix.com/topic/162/social-icon-nodebb/2" />
    

    @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb):

    @jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/15650/default-image-when-sharing-topics-posts

    but, I never got a response 😠 - however, there is an OG image (Open Graph) which you can apply at

    /admin/settings/general

    Which (I think) should give you a default image (which you of course specify by uploading) for sharing on social media.

    EDIT - on checking, this does indeed work. Once the image is applied, the Open Graph tags are present in each post - see below

    <meta property="og:title" content="Social icon (Nodebb)" />
    <meta property="og:description" content="@jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community   	  	 		 			  				 					                                                          May 11  /  Technical Support                                                                         ..." />
    <meta property="og:type" content="article" />
    <meta property="article:published_time" content="2021-12-04T16:58:18.479Z" />
    <meta property="article:modified_time" content="2021-12-04T17:28:05.608Z" />
    <meta property="article:section" content="Customisation" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:width" content="1900" />
    <meta property="og:image:height" content="950" />
    <meta property="og:url" content="https://sudonix.com/topic/162/social-icon-nodebb/2" />
    

    Thanks very much mate, I’ll try this tomorrow.

  • JACundefined JAC referenced this topic on
  • @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb):

    @jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/15650/default-image-when-sharing-topics-posts

    but, I never got a response 😠 - however, there is an OG image (Open Graph) which you can apply at

    /admin/settings/general

    Which (I think) should give you a default image (which you of course specify by uploading) for sharing on social media.

    EDIT - on checking, this does indeed work. Once the image is applied, the Open Graph tags are present in each post - see below

    <meta property="og:title" content="Social icon (Nodebb)" />
    <meta property="og:description" content="@jac Good question. I raised something similar on the NodeBB community   	  	 		 			  				 					                                                          May 11  /  Technical Support                                                                         ..." />
    <meta property="og:type" content="article" />
    <meta property="article:published_time" content="2021-12-04T16:58:18.479Z" />
    <meta property="article:modified_time" content="2021-12-04T17:28:05.608Z" />
    <meta property="article:section" content="Customisation" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/profile/1-profileavatar-1629822570834.png" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:url" content="https://sudonix.com/assets/uploads/system/og-image.png" />
    <meta property="og:image:width" content="1900" />
    <meta property="og:image:height" content="950" />
    <meta property="og:url" content="https://sudonix.com/topic/162/social-icon-nodebb/2" />
    

    Thanks very much mate, I’ll try this tomorrow.

  • @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb):

    @jac In addition, see this

    https://community.nodebb.org/post/86245

    73027e22-1ffa-42a9-8271-54a5c50f599a-image.png

    That’s a good shout mate 😁😁

  • @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb):

    @jac In addition, see this

    https://community.nodebb.org/post/86245

    73027e22-1ffa-42a9-8271-54a5c50f599a-image.png

    That’s a good shout mate 😁😁

    @jac I just tested my theory around using the OG image, and according to the Twitter card validator, it works fine

    73e805e1-997b-41bf-9259-51c5052ca8fc-image.png

  • @jac I just tested my theory around using the OG image, and according to the Twitter card validator, it works fine

    73e805e1-997b-41bf-9259-51c5052ca8fc-image.png

    @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb):

    @jac I just tested my theory around using the OG image, and according to the Twitter card validator, it works fine

    73e805e1-997b-41bf-9259-51c5052ca8fc-image.png

    fixed 🙂

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Custom Page - nodebb

    Solved Customisation custom-pages nodebb
    13
    2
    5 Votes
    13 Posts
    2k Views
    I’m happy to see this
  • how to prevent DDoS attacks ?

    Solved Vulnerability ddos nodebb
    34
    17 Votes
    34 Posts
    12k Views
    @phenomlab thank you very much, this was helpful. Everything looks ok
  • Whitespace fixes in Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    18
    2
    7 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    @Panda Just circling back here with something of an update (which I think you’ll like). I’ve completely restructured the ranking system. There are now less ranks, with a higher point threshold to reach them. More importantly, if you reload the site, you’ll notice that the ranks are now icons. I also removed the “Author” badge, and made this a single icon, which (to me) looks much better.
  • adding some console.log to Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @eeeee if you’re using the console, you could try node app.js > app.log 2>&1 This would redirect stdout to a file named app.log and redirect stderr to stdout. I’m not sure about standard logging under NodeBB, but there is an error log located at logs/error.log. Failing that, you could always stop the NodeBB service then use ./nodebb dev from the console which would then provide debug output.
  • [NodeBB] Import custom Font

    Solved Customisation custom fonts nodebb css
    12
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay you’ll need to define this in the body tag (or another element if you want greater or more granular targets) - for example body { font-family: "Poppins"; font-size: 16px; } Essentially, you use the font-size CSS directive.
  • NodeBB Design help

    Solved Customisation
    8
    3
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @riekmedia I’ve applied some new CSS to your site. Can you reload the page and try again ? For the record, this is what I added #footer { background: #2d343e; border-top: 4px solid #2d343e; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 70px; padding: 80px 0 0; position: relative; clear: both; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; z-index: 1000; margin-left: -15px; margin-right: -338px; } The /categories page seems a bit messed up, so looking at that currently EDIT - issued some override CSS in the CATEGORIES widget <!--- CSS fix for overspill on /categories page - DO NOT DELETE --> <style> #footer { margin-right: -45px; } </style> That should resolve the /categories issue.
  • Customising NodeBB

    Locked Customisation nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Closing this thread as a duplicate of https://sudonix.com/topic/12/nodebb-customisation
  • NodeBB customisation

    Locked Customisation
    332
    27 Votes
    332 Posts
    245k Views
    @jac Given your departure away from your previous project, I’m going to close this thread…