Skip to content

Linux on a Stick

Linux
  • Yes, linux on a stick, otherwise know as a usb drive. I’m not talking about a live usb version of Linux. I am talking about actually install Linux on a usb drive. I was curious over the weekend, how cool would it be to install Linux on a usb drive and be able to use any computer to boot up and use my own same operating system each time with persistent data. Meaning that I can update, install and change whatever I want and be able to have the versatility of using whatever computer that may be around.

I had read a couple of articles regarding this and decided to give it a try. I used Virtualbox to create a virtual machine. During the creation, I did not create the virtual hard drive portion. Under the USB section, I made sure to choose USB 3.0 and with the USB drive plugged in, I added it to that section. In the network section, I kept the network option to NAT and everything else I setup according to what I would normally do. Those don’t technically matter because when you boot up, the OS will use the system resources directly. One other thing that I had to select was to use EFI. With that option selected, you get the option to boot up with systemd and not grub. That did make a difference.

I use Arch for this. One thing I found out is that you want to use the latest installer. I would say that no matter which Linux version you use, to use the latest installer to make sure you get the latest mirrors and such. I have tried this on one of the laptops at home and it worked beeeaauuttiifffuullyyyy! It was awesome. When I was done and shutdown the laptop, removed the USB drive and started the laptop up, it booted right into windblows again. So with this method, you have a portable OS that you can take anywhere and use on any computer.

I did try using this on my work computer, but they have that locked down so you can’t get to the boot menu. I may try it again at some point just in case I picked the wrong option, but regardless, I have a couple more laptops at home that I can test it on in the mean time.

This was a fun experiment and I have to say that the results were Linux running blazing fast, even over a USB port. My next option would be to run it over USB C and I imagine the OS would be even faster.

• @Madchatthew Great overview, thanks. I too have done something similar (although not for a few years), and it’s a great way to be completely secure in the sense that if you need to use a public computer, you simply restart it with the USB drive attached. I’m inclined to do this again, and would probably go for a USB stick like the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SSK-External-Android-Business-Essential/dp/B0C36CXVP4

The difference in read/write speed is significant

68d70c4a-4254-4880-83b4-fe7a8b53d2d7-image.png

• @phenomlab That is awesome! I just used a 32 G stick because that is all I had. A 256 MB one would be way better and probably all you would need. It would be kinda fun to go up to 1 TB, but I don’t think you would need that size for this application.

I love how you can use either end. One for regular USB and the other for USB C. That is great and the price is actually pretty good. I looked at the 1 TB and the price wasn’t bad even for that size.

• Madchatthewundefined Madchatthew marked this topic as a regular topic
  • @Madchatthew Yes, I am tempted, I must confess.

• @phenomlab I say dooooo eeeeeetttttt becuase I probably will haha

• I am totally geaking out right now. I am working from home today and tried this on another laptop we have and it is so very awesome! I did have to disable the boot security on this laptop, which I’m not too worried about. I can always re-enable it. I think I will be buying that USB you posted Phenomlab.

I am currently typing this post from that drive and am setting up neovim for development following along a youtube video. Just because. I have been using neovim more lately and really am starting to like it. It is very powerful and a lot you can do with it from what I am seeing.

Anyway, had to post this here because it is frickin awesome!

• @Madchatthew said in Linux on a Stick:

I think I will be buying that USB you posted Phenomlab.

Let me know how you get on with it. I too am considering it

• @phenomlab I will do that. I am hoping to buy it within the next week or two.