Skip to content

Linux Certification

Linux
  • So I was curious about being certified in Linux and found this website. https://www.lpi.org/ - The learning materials are free and so far from what I can see, they have done a good job. You have to pay for the test and it looks like the testing is through Pearson Vue. I am one of those that believes you shouldn’t have to have certifications or degrees to get a job, especially if you have the experience and know how to do the job.

It never hurts to have them and if you are interested in a Linux Certifications, this may be a good place to start. What are all of your thoughts regarding this website and these types of certifications?

• @Madchatthew said in Linux Certification:

I am one of those that believes you shouldn’t have to have certifications or degrees to get a job, especially if you have the experience and know how to do the job.

I’m in the same camp here. I’d much rather hire someone with demonstrable skills and experience than a cert junkie any day. I have few certs to my name (well, those that did not expire over the years) , but I also have 33+ years of experience (see if you can work out how old I am 🙂 - clue can be found at this link) - all of it gained “in the trenches” and perfectly demonstrable.

You’re right - it never hurts, but I’ve interviewed people who can talk the talk, but never walk the walk. This is why I always include very tough technical tests to whittle out the cowboys before even agreeing to meet them face to face.

My view is it should be a personal choice, and something along the lines of self-development. I personally admire anyone who is serious about taking this path to make a better life for themselves (given that HR departments these days seem to insist on certification rather than real life experience, which is why when I hire, I do the selection myself), and would actively support them all the way.

One service that Sudonix does offer is mentoring for anyone who feels they could benefit from it.

• @phenomlab I 100% agree with you. I would be curious some of the questions that you ask. I don’t want you to give away your secrets and questions, but it would be nice to see an example of a tough technical questions you ask.

• @Madchatthew You might be sorry you asked 🙂 This is the mentoring category below. Presently, it’s unused, but we have a dedicated area for it.

https://sudonix.org/category/8/mentoring

Other services

https://sudonix.org/services

• phenomlabundefined phenomlab marked this topic as a regular topic on

Related Topics
  • Error certification on virtualmin/Nginx

Solved Linux
    0 Votes
    17 Posts

@DownPW anytime

• Killing Linux Zombie Processes

Tips
    2 Votes
    3 Posts

@DownPW odd indeed. Looks like it’s spawning, immediately dying, then spawning again.

• The problem with purists and cert junkies

Blog
    +0
    4 Votes
    3 Posts

@Panda Sorry - it’ll be there now. I am also using a “curse words” plugin that looks for a**, but also blocks “assets” - not very well written sadly…

• Is plesk good over virtual min?

Solved Linux
    4 Votes
    6 Posts

@phenomlab thank you

• 1 Votes
    3 Posts

@downpw I’m inclined to agree with the self-development - and the point you make about the lack of certification being seen as a barrier to enter professions.

@downpw said in Experience vs Certification - who wins?:

Because even without experience, if you have an iron will, you can be better than someone who has certification. With more work and effort, certainly, but does it matter?

This is an interesting statement because I knew of several people years ago whom obtained MCSE accreditation, but had never sat in front of a real-life scenario before where they had to fix something - hence, the term, “Paper MCSE”. Essentially, this involves reading a book, then going to do the exam. Some people have that capability where they can retain a bulk load of information, and use that to easily pass an exam - yet have no practical experience.

To me, it’s easy to identify these people. They can give you a text-book answer, but have no ability to prove it physically.

• Need help with ping in linux

Locked Linux
    5 Votes
    16 Posts
    1k Views

Note to everyone else here. This user was formally banned from metabullet.com for abusing the service, and as a result, has been banned here also. Quite why this person thought it was ok to come here under the guise of an account he’d previously used at metabullet.com and hope I wouldn’t notice is beyond me.

If you abuse my services once, you won’t get to use them again - period.

As a reminder, the policies surrounding this service, and it’s usage can be found here

• help me configuring cron job for fof/sitemap - flarum

Solved Configure
    18 Votes
    36 Posts
    2k Views

you are too fast 😉

• 2 Votes
    28 Posts
    3k Views

@phenomlab said in Advantages and disadvantages of changing to Ubuntu?:

@jac Yeah, I wouldn’t just leap into it unless you have a valid reason (such as the laptop no longer working and needing to be reinstalled). Probably better the devil you know currently.

Absolutely mate, and generally as discussed that is the only time I have changed over to Ubuntu once the laptop has got slower.

For now I will carry on with Windows, purchase the VPN & BitDefender in later October / early November and then see how all that runs for a few more months 👍🏻.