Skip to content

The pandemic effect on technology

Blog
  • I came across this news article this morning

https://news.sky.com/story/e3-cancelled-gamings-most-famous-event-killed-off-for-good-13028802

This really is the end of an era, and it’s abundantly clear that the pandemic had a large part to play in its demise. From the article:

It comes after plans for its return earlier this year were scrapped, with the likes of PlayStation maker Sony and Assassin’s Creed developer Ubisoft among the companies that planned to skip it.

When big players such as Sony and Ubisoft do not plan on attending, the writing is on the wall. During the pandemic, various organisations were forced to adopt new ways of promoting their products, with live streams becoming the new normal - and by order of magnitude, a much cheaper alternative that has the same impact.

This clearly demonstrates that technology is continually evolving, and there doesn’t seem to be any signs of a return to previous pre-pandemic forms on multiple fronts. Just look at how the work from home model has dramatically changed, with virtually every organisation having some form or remote working program they never considered before.

Along the same lines, companies that were relatively minor before the pandemic have enjoyed a meteoric rise since being in a unique position to fill the void created by the pandemic. Out of the many is Zoom - take a look at the revenue graph below for an example

b486247b-8af4-4b6a-b180-c27838d2c59f-image.png

Source - https://www.businessofapps.com/data/zoom-statistics/

At the peak of pandemic. Zoom reported 200m connections per day, and whilst that figure may have dropped of late, Zoom is still considered the #1 video conferencing tool and used in day-to-day life to facilitate meetings across the globe - even for people sitting in the same office space.

However you look at it, most of these pandemic “rising stars” are now here to stay and considered part of everyday life.

• 6 Votes
    7 Posts

@crazycells Neither do I. Personally, I think he would have been mortified at the very concept, and probably would never have approved it’s release.

• 3 Votes
    4 Posts

I’ve been using this service for a couple of days now, and it’s made my internet access so much faster. That alone is a plus, and I never thought there would be a contender for Cloudflare in this area.

• 1 Votes
    3 Posts

@DownPW absolutely. Then there’s also the cost of having to replace aging hardware - for both the production site, and the recovery location.

• 13 Votes
    17 Posts

@小城风雨多 I was a die-hard OnePlus user since the 6T, but my experience with the 9 series has left me extremely disappointed and I probably won’t go back now I have a Samsung S23+ which works perfectly.

• 2 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 1 Votes
    3 Posts

@DownPW yes, exactly my point.

• 5 Votes
    4 Posts

@crazycells love this article. You’re absolutely right about people using colors that are either completely at odds with the scheme on their own site, or have no real concept of theming itself or swatches.

There’s nothing worse than garish colour on a web site. Nothing more than back button fodder.

• 109 Votes
    152 Posts
    12k Views

https://news.sky.com/story/scarlett-johannsson-shocked-and-angered-after-openai-allegedly-recreated-her-voice-without-consent-13140514

SCARLETT JOHANSSON’S STATEMENT IN FULL

Last September, I received an offer from Sam Altman, who wanted to hire me to voice the current ChatGPT 4.0 system.

He told me that he felt that by my voicing the system, I could bridge the gap between tech companies and creatives and help consumers to feel comfortable with the seismic shift concerning humans and AI.

He said he felt that my voice would be comforting to people.

After much consideration and for personal reasons, I declined the offer.

Nine months later, my friends, family and the general public all noted how much the newest system named “Sky” sounded like me.

When I heard the released demo, I was shocked, angered and in disbelief that Mr Altman would pursue a voice that sounded so eerily similar to mine that my closest friends and news outlets could not tell the difference.

Mr Altman even insinuated that the similarity was intentional, tweeting a single word “her” - a reference to the film in which I voiced a chat system, Samantha, who forms an intimate relationship with a human.

Two days before the ChatGPT 4.0 demo was released, Mr Altman contacted my agent, asking me to reconsider. Before we could connect, the system was out there.

As a result of their actions, I was forced to hire legal counsel, who wrote two letters to Mr Altman and OpenAI, setting out what they had done and asking them to detail the exact process by which they created the “Sky” voice. Consequently, OpenAI reluctantly agreed to take down the “Sky” voice.

In a time when we are all grappling with deepfakes and the protection of our own likeness, our own work, our own identities, I believe these are questions that deserve absolute clarity.

I look forward to resolution in the form of transparency and the passage of appropriate legislation to help ensure that individual rights are protected.