Skip to content

adding some console.log to Nodebb

Solved Customisation
4 2 1.9k 1
  • I’m trying some code small addition to NodeBB.
    for debugging purposed where do any outputs from console.log() go?

    Usually, when I run my own stand-alone node code it ‘hangs the screen’ until Ctrl-X out of it, hence you can see console.logs
    But as nodeBB runs as a service in the background, you dont see console.log output on the screen

  • I’m trying some code small addition to NodeBB.
    for debugging purposed where do any outputs from console.log() go?

    Usually, when I run my own stand-alone node code it ‘hangs the screen’ until Ctrl-X out of it, hence you can see console.logs
    But as nodeBB runs as a service in the background, you dont see console.log output on the screen

    @eeeee output from console.log will be in the console tab of the browser when your press F12 to access the developer tools.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • @eeeee output from console.log will be in the console tab of the browser when your press F12 to access the developer tools.

    @phenomlab
    oh, surely only javascript console.log goes to front end, Im meaning using console.log in server side node code.
    What I want is a note to myself on server, not viewable front end.
    for example Ive added some code which doesnt work, and I want to log (somewhere)
    “Reached this code”
    x=10
    etc
    So I want to console log to a server side file I can go and read to help me debug.
    Is there a nodebb log already in use I can write to?
    I tried making my own txt file as using fs.writeFile and that did not work, but thinking some built in console.log command would be simpler

  • @phenomlab
    oh, surely only javascript console.log goes to front end, Im meaning using console.log in server side node code.
    What I want is a note to myself on server, not viewable front end.
    for example Ive added some code which doesnt work, and I want to log (somewhere)
    “Reached this code”
    x=10
    etc
    So I want to console log to a server side file I can go and read to help me debug.
    Is there a nodebb log already in use I can write to?
    I tried making my own txt file as using fs.writeFile and that did not work, but thinking some built in console.log command would be simpler

    @eeeee if you’re using the console, you could try

    node app.js > app.log 2>&1

    This would redirect stdout to a file named app.log and redirect stderr to stdout.

    I’m not sure about standard logging under NodeBB, but there is an error log located at logs/error.log.

    Failing that, you could always stop the NodeBB service then use ./nodebb dev from the console which would then provide debug output.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • What’s going on with NodeBB?

    Performance nodebb script die
    20
    8 Votes
    20 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay The most reliable way to upgrade Node.js on Ubuntu depends on how you originally installed it. Method 1: Using NVM (Recommended) If you already use Node Version Manager (NVM), upgrading is simple. NVM allows you to keep both versions and switch between them if needed. Install Node 22: nvm install 22 Switch to Node 22: nvm use 22 Set it as your default: nvm alias default 22 Verify the change: node -v Method 2: Using NodeSource (PPA) If you installed Node.js via apt using the NodeSource repository, you need to update the repository script to point to the new version. Remove the old NodeSource list (optional but cleaner): sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list Download and run the NodeSource setup script for Node 22: curl -fsSL [https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x](https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x) | sudo -E bash - Install/Upgrade Node.js: sudo apt-get install -y nodejs Verify the installation: node -v Method 3: Using the ‘n’ Package If you have npm installed, you can use the n interactive manager. Clear the npm cache: sudo npm cache clean -f Install the ‘n’ helper: sudo npm install -g n Install Node 22: sudo n 22 Update your shell: hash -r Troubleshooting Permission Denied: If you see permission errors using Method 2 or 3, ensure you are using sudo. Path Issues: If node -v still shows version 20 after upgrading via NVM, restart your terminal or run source ~/.bashrc. Conflicts: Avoid mixing these methods. If you switch from apt to nvm, it is best to sudo apt remove nodejs first to avoid path conflicts.
  • how to prevent DDoS attacks ?

    Solved Vulnerability ddos nodebb
    34
    17 Votes
    34 Posts
    12k Views
    @phenomlab thank you very much, this was helpful. Everything looks ok
  • Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

    Bugs nodebb
    11
    4 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    @DownPW I’d have to agree with that.
  • who is read NodeBB

    Customisation read post nodebb
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @cagatay You should ask in the NodeBB forums. Perhaps reference this post https://discuss.flarum.org/d/23066-who-read
  • Changing Background on NodeBB

    Solved Customisation background image nodebb
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @cagatay You’d target the body tag and use the below line of CSS background: url(/assets/customcss/backgrounds/default/default.png) no-repeat center center fixed; Obviously, you need to change the path to suit where your image is being stored. More info around the background property can be found here https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_background.php
  • Social icon (Nodebb)

    Solved Customisation nodebb social
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb): @jac I just tested my theory around using the OG image, and according to the Twitter card validator, it works fine [image: 1638880098289-73e805e1-997b-41bf-9259-51c5052ca8fc-image.png] fixed
  • NodeBB Design help

    Solved Customisation
    8
    3
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @riekmedia I’ve applied some new CSS to your site. Can you reload the page and try again ? For the record, this is what I added #footer { background: #2d343e; border-top: 4px solid #2d343e; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 70px; padding: 80px 0 0; position: relative; clear: both; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; z-index: 1000; margin-left: -15px; margin-right: -338px; } The /categories page seems a bit messed up, so looking at that currently EDIT - issued some override CSS in the CATEGORIES widget <!--- CSS fix for overspill on /categories page - DO NOT DELETE --> <style> #footer { margin-right: -45px; } </style> That should resolve the /categories issue.
  • Customising NodeBB

    Locked Customisation nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Closing this thread as a duplicate of https://sudonix.com/topic/12/nodebb-customisation