Skip to content

NodeBB: updating Admin details not working

Solved Configure
17 3 4.2k 1
  • @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    But neither the name is visible on the public page, nor an email verification was received. I have tried twice, and nothing. Would anyone know what the reason could be?

    Email is not configured on the server you are running - this is why no notification was received, because none would have been sent. For this to work, you’ll need to install either a postfix server to send mail, or use one of the available plugins as detailed below

    d3dbd291-6c1a-425b-bf39-bc47979c3c32-image.png

    I did something similar for @JAC some time ago - provided you have a low level of mail sending, you can typically use the free plans to send mail.

    SendGrid is probably the best option

    157e5c66-6199-4d6a-90f5-3217809c9667-image.png

    Create an account there, then over PM, share with me the login and connection details, and I’ll configure this for you.

    @phenomlab Yes, I had a feeling SMTP was the issue. So, I have to choose between SendGrid or the available plugins, right? Are the plugins not dependable, hence you recommended SendGrid?

  • @phenomlab Yes, I had a feeling SMTP was the issue. So, I have to choose between SendGrid or the available plugins, right? Are the plugins not dependable, hence you recommended SendGrid?

    @mventures No specific reason for SendGrid other than it’s free for less than 100 emails per month. Typically, I’d suggest hosting your own email, but then you’ll also need a raft of DNS records such as txt, spf, dkim and dmarc.

    These should be added to DNS anyway for sake of good order, but are less dependant when you leverage a third party service. Don’t be surprised if SendGrid also wants you to add DNS records, as this is the norm.

  • @mventures No specific reason for SendGrid other than it’s free for less than 100 emails per month. Typically, I’d suggest hosting your own email, but then you’ll also need a raft of DNS records such as txt, spf, dkim and dmarc.

    These should be added to DNS anyway for sake of good order, but are less dependant when you leverage a third party service. Don’t be surprised if SendGrid also wants you to add DNS records, as this is the norm.

    @phenomlab None of my business perhaps, but what system are you using if you don’t mind me asking? If it’s personal/sensitive, then your recommendation is strongly Sendgrid because it’s easy to set up, dependable and affordable.

    Btw, I’ve heard a lot about Mailgun, and they offer 5000 free emails/month, and only $1 extra for another 1000 if it crosses the 5k mark. Are you OK if I started on this one?

  • @phenomlab None of my business perhaps, but what system are you using if you don’t mind me asking? If it’s personal/sensitive, then your recommendation is strongly Sendgrid because it’s easy to set up, dependable and affordable.

    Btw, I’ve heard a lot about Mailgun, and they offer 5000 free emails/month, and only $1 extra for another 1000 if it crosses the 5k mark. Are you OK if I started on this one?

    @mventures being the “traditionalist” that I am I host my own mail using postfix (a service dedicated for this purpose, but residing on the same VPS). There’s nothing wrong with Mailgun, and NodeBB will actively support it.

    https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodebb-plugin-emailer-mailgun

  • Hi @cagatay
    Thank you for your response.
    (1) Admin email change: I did as you said and it still has the old email. No change over to the new one.
    (2) A new user registration test: I signed up as a user to check. Though I entered an email for this new account, I did not receive the email verification email for this one also. All email folders were checked and nothing has come in yet.
    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    Hi @cagatay
    Thank you for your response.
    (1) Admin email change: I did as you said and it still has the old email. No change over to the new one.
    (2) A new user registration test: I signed up as a user to check. Though I entered an email for this new account, I did not receive the email verification email for this one also. All email folders were checked and nothing has come in yet.
    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    If I can get help on (3) also, that would be great also! Thank you all.

  • @mventures being the “traditionalist” that I am I host my own mail using postfix (a service dedicated for this purpose, but residing on the same VPS). There’s nothing wrong with Mailgun, and NodeBB will actively support it.

    https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodebb-plugin-emailer-mailgun

    @phenomlab Nice! I will give this a try tomorrow and see how it goes. By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

  • @phenomlab Nice! I will give this a try tomorrow and see how it goes. By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

    @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

    The outgoing email should be the default specified in the NodeBB settings. You’ll be using a username and password from the Mailgun service to send mail anyway, so the email address is cosmetic.

  • @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    Hi @cagatay
    Thank you for your response.
    (1) Admin email change: I did as you said and it still has the old email. No change over to the new one.
    (2) A new user registration test: I signed up as a user to check. Though I entered an email for this new account, I did not receive the email verification email for this one also. All email folders were checked and nothing has come in yet.
    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    If I can get help on (3) also, that would be great also! Thank you all.

    @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    Because you need to enable that in Settings 🙂

    Go to /admin/settings/user#default-user-settings

    Enable the below

    eb821911-fcb3-4222-9fba-19b6a66be91d-image.png

    7aa39f3b-4a2a-4bf6-b5b4-2428f7d68a7e-image.png

    Save

    And finally,

    Go to user/admin/settings

    Enable “Show my full name”

    9a15b1dd-dc4a-47a3-a208-f6366b76ad28-image.png

    Save

    I’ve done this on your site, so it should be working as intended.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    (3) Admin name: What I meant was - I entered a “full name” for my admin account, and this name is not showing up in the posts.

    Because you need to enable that in Settings 🙂

    Go to /admin/settings/user#default-user-settings

    Enable the below

    eb821911-fcb3-4222-9fba-19b6a66be91d-image.png

    7aa39f3b-4a2a-4bf6-b5b4-2428f7d68a7e-image.png

    Save

    And finally,

    Go to user/admin/settings

    Enable “Show my full name”

    9a15b1dd-dc4a-47a3-a208-f6366b76ad28-image.png

    Save

    I’ve done this on your site, so it should be working as intended.

    @phenomlab Yes, it is working! Thank you so much 🙂

  • @mventures said in NodeBB: updating Admin details not working:

    By the way, do I need an email in my domain name for this to work, or is the outgoing email from Mailgun/Sendgrid email domain?

    The outgoing email should be the default specified in the NodeBB settings. You’ll be using a username and password from the Mailgun service to send mail anyway, so the email address is cosmetic.

    @phenomlab Update: I haven’t forgotten the task of setting up a SendGrid account. It’s just that my account hasn’t been verified yet. It’s been a few days already and I keep getting questionnaires from them. Have chased again today.

  • @phenomlab Update: I haven’t forgotten the task of setting up a SendGrid account. It’s just that my account hasn’t been verified yet. It’s been a few days already and I keep getting questionnaires from them. Have chased again today.

    @mventures Ok. No issues


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics