Skip to content

Top Ranked Forums

Chitchat
9 3 3.1k 1
  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

    @cagatay I often wonder who compiles these “stats” and whether they even test NodeBB

  • @cagatay I often wonder who compiles these “stats” and whether they even test NodeBB

    @phenomlab 617mio posts OMG 🙂

  • @phenomlab 617mio posts OMG 🙂

    @cagatay Yeah, on phpBB too !! I thought that platform was well and truly dead.

  • @cagatay Yeah, on phpBB too !! I thought that platform was well and truly dead.

    @phenomlab Maybe its not true coz web site not working. also there is writen users 0 lol 🙂

    I used over 5 years vBulletin it was very good experiences for me. I also have one small forum powered by XenForo.

    But NodeBB is very fast and google index speed also very good. My last time is 2 hours, google bot idexed.

  • @phenomlab Maybe its not true coz web site not working. also there is writen users 0 lol 🙂

    I used over 5 years vBulletin it was very good experiences for me. I also have one small forum powered by XenForo.

    But NodeBB is very fast and google index speed also very good. My last time is 2 hours, google bot idexed.

    @cagatay Yes, there’s a lot of furore around Discorse, but having tried it myself some time ago, I didn’t like it that much. Plus, it requires containers and ruby on rails, which just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

  • Hope one day NodeBB will be some where 🙂

    f8bcef25-ebbf-40f5-bcf9-02fa0b9d99ac-image.png

    @cagatay I think -as far as I could observe- people are not building forums any more, rather than developing a website, they are directly going with “Discord”… It is probably closest to the “forums” among all social media platforms… it is already there, you can create your own discord in seconds, all the infrastructure is already provided.

    Therefore all these old forums rank very high with ancient types of forum softwares… xenforo, vbulletin, phpbb… all from the Jurassic period…

    Just a quick note, Discord and Discourse are separate, unrelated platforms…

  • @cagatay I think -as far as I could observe- people are not building forums any more, rather than developing a website, they are directly going with “Discord”… It is probably closest to the “forums” among all social media platforms… it is already there, you can create your own discord in seconds, all the infrastructure is already provided.

    Therefore all these old forums rank very high with ancient types of forum softwares… xenforo, vbulletin, phpbb… all from the Jurassic period…

    Just a quick note, Discord and Discourse are separate, unrelated platforms…

    @crazycells yes you are absolutly right but the forums need to improve byself. this is a technology age and all software language will improve itself, asp is dead. Nokia is dead 🙂

    We will see that another software will be beter than discord 🙂 it is an endless world 🙂

  • The real issue here is that most people consider forums to be “dead” in the sense that nobody uses them anymore, and social media groups have taken their place. Their once dominant stance in the 90’s and early 00’s will never be experienced again, but having said that, there are a number of forums that did in fact survive the social media onslaught, and still enjoy a large user base.

    Forums tend to be niche. One that immediately sticks out is Reddit - despite looking like it was designed in the 80s, it still has an enormous user base. Another is Stack Overflow, which needs no introduction. The key to any forum is the content it offers, and the more people whom contribute in terms of posting , the more popular and widely respected it becomes as a reliable source of information.

    Forums are still intensely popular with gamers, alongside those that offer tips on hacking etc.


Related Topics
  • Threaded post support for NodeBB

    Let's Build It threading nodebb
    146
    3
    50 Votes
    146 Posts
    104k Views
    Updated git for above change https://github.com/phenomlab/nodebb-harmony-threading/commit/14a4e277521d83d219065ffb14154fd5f5cfac69
  • Sidebar Widget is no longer on the side!

    Moved Solved General nodebb
    4
    2
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda said in Sidebar Widget is no longer on the side!: Ah, so sidebar wont work on mobile? Correct. If you review the docs on bootstrap, you’ll notice that it is designed on a grid system https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/layout/grid/ What I mean by changing the category is moving it on here to general as you posted it in bugs, when it isn’t.
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • Difficult to move posts now, on mobile.

    Bugs nodebb
    16
    1
    5 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW Yes, it is. It’s set far too low meaning other elements with a higher preference will sit over the top of it.
  • 2 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @dave1904 I’d start by adding a console.log function to hookData so you can see what is being returned return hookData; console.log(hookData):
  • 1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW very useful tip. Thanks
  • Q&A Plugin Changes NodeBB

    Solved Customisation nodebb q&a plugin
    25
    1
    6 Votes
    25 Posts
    10k Views
    @phenomlab said in Q&A Plugin Changes NodeBB: float: right; left: 10px; } worked thank you
  • Blinking text Effect

    Customisation nodebb text effect css
    3
    5 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab I love it too @phenomlab said in Blinking text Effect: Has that “broken neon light” look that you see in films. It’s exactly that, kind of old neon signs of bar or pubs a bit cyberpunk too