Skip to content

Only those who do nothing make no mistakes

Mentoring
  • einstein.webp

This is one of my personal favorites.

One day, Albert Einstein started to write the nine times table on the blackboard

Table Result
    1 x 9 9
    2 x 9 18
    3 x 9 27
    4 x 9 36
    5 x 9 45
    6 x 9 54
    7 x 9 63
    8 x 9 72
    9 x 9 81
    10 x 9 91

The class mocked and made fun of him because he had made a mistake, as the correct answer for 10 x 9 is 90.

Einstein waited for everyone to stop and said

Despite me answering the first 9 questions correctly, no one congratulated me. Instead, when I made one mistake, everyone spotted it and started laughing. This means that despite being very successful, society will only notice the smallest mistake and make a big deal out of it. Don’t let simple criticism destroy your dreams.

Moral of the story

Only those who do nothing make no mistakes.

This is 100% true. Nobody will ever pat you on the back and tell you what a great job you’re doing, but they will be the first to tell you something is wrong.

• @phenomlab said in Only those who do nothing make no mistakes:

Despite me answering the first 9 questions correctly, no one congratulated me. Instead, when I made one mistake, everyone spotted it and started laughing. This means that despite being very successful, society will only notice the smallest mistake and make a big deal out of it. Don’t let simple criticism destroy your dreams.

nice observation 🙂

• @crazycells yes, one of my favorites. People seem very quick to criticize when you do something wrong, yet never say anything when you get it right.

• @phenomlab said in Only those who do nothing make no mistakes:

@crazycells yes, one of my favorites. People seem very quick to criticize when you do something wrong, yet never say anything when you get it right.

A good little read, enjoyed that 😁.

• This is so true! You can see this all over social media as well. Someone makes a mistake or has a bad day and it blows up like crazy and all the good things they are doing or who they are is all forgotten. This happens with being an employee as well. Although management try to cover it up by doing the, hey you are doing a great job blah blah blah, but you need to do better with blah blah blah.