Skip to content

Goodbye OnePlus, hello Samsung

Blog

Related Topics
  • Why Forums Are Still Relevant in 2024

Blog
    2 Votes
    3 Posts

@JAC wow. Thanks for the great comments. They are truly appreciated.

I tend to agree with the social media comments you’ve made. This is made all the more prominent in relation to recent events in Southport for example, and toxicity is a huge issue. Just look at some of the comments from trolls - they are truly disgusting, and the perpetrators seem to take great delight in the anonymity the Internet affords them.

forums in general are much more subject focused, easier to moderate and users are less likely to be banned because they are there for a specific interest or reason, not to cause trouble.

Agreed, although discussions can still get out of hand and quite often, these are left to run riot and quickly spiral out of control. A great example of that is here

https://sudonix.org/topic/141/how-to-destroy-a-community-before-it-s-even-built

there’s something much more calming about coming to a specific page at your fancy, posting and taking part in healthy debates over the real mishmash of social media.

Yes, I personally prefer the atmosphere of a forum against the backdrop of unwanted noise via social media.

• 3 Votes
    4 Posts

@phenomlab yeah you have a good point there. Information over lives just doesn’t seem to be worth it. And being the one to release that info and be the one who first put it out there, you may be on the right track about the notoriety.

• Apple, what were you thinking?

Blog
    14 Votes
    15 Posts

My daughter needed a new tablet, which was an older Samsung. My wife wanted to get her an Ipad. Fortunately, I was able to talk her out of that and show her how much better an android tablet would be. Preferably the Samsung S9 Ultra tablet. By the way, that thing is outstanding! Great purchase!

• 3 Votes
    3 Posts

@crazycells if it does indeed materialise, then this could well be a landmark case that sets a precedent. But, I don’t hold much hope to be honest. I’d like to be wrong.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Optimum config for NodeBB under NGINX

Performance
    3 Votes
    4 Posts

@crazycells hi - no security reason, or anything specific in this case. However, the nginx.conf I posted was from my Dev environment which uses this port as a way of not interfering with production.

And yes, I use clustering on this site with three instances.

• NODEBB: Nginx error performance & High CPU

Solved Performance
    14 Votes
    69 Posts
    5k Views

@phenomlab

Seems to be better with some scaling fix for redis on redis.conf. I haven’t seen the message yet since the changes I made

# I increase it to the value of /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn tcp-backlog 4096 # I'm uncommenting because it can slow down Redis. Uncommented by default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #save 900 1 #save 300 10 #save 60 10000

If you have other Redis optimizations. I take all your advice

https://severalnines.com/blog/performance-tuning-redis/

• NodeBB slow after DB recovery

Solved Performance
    5 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied