Skip to content

Setting for high load and prevent DDoS (sysctl, iptables, crowdsec or other)

Security
4 2 2.2k 1
  • Hello,

    I am looking for ways to make the weavers that we top the world a little more secure via web servers etc…

    I saw this article which allows to best configure the kernel:

    https://www.thegeekdiary.com/sysctl-setting-for-high-load-and-prevent-ddos/

    Do you think this config is valid @phenomlab or would you have others to offer?


    I know Iptables can be a good tool too. I saw this article about it (but ideally for centOS, maybe it’s good for ubuntu server ?):

    https://javapipe.com/blog/iptables-ddos-protection/


    Using Virtualmin, if you have tricks for firewallD (installed by default), I’m interested.

    Besides, FirewallD is based on its own app or on Iptables or something else like ufw?

    I would be curious to know because I use it to open certain ports.

    In short, a topic to list all the tips for securing a server and in this case a server without of course disturbing users accessing the web server and in this case, for me it is nodebb

    cya

  • Hello,

    I am looking for ways to make the weavers that we top the world a little more secure via web servers etc…

    I saw this article which allows to best configure the kernel:

    https://www.thegeekdiary.com/sysctl-setting-for-high-load-and-prevent-ddos/

    Do you think this config is valid @phenomlab or would you have others to offer?


    I know Iptables can be a good tool too. I saw this article about it (but ideally for centOS, maybe it’s good for ubuntu server ?):

    https://javapipe.com/blog/iptables-ddos-protection/


    Using Virtualmin, if you have tricks for firewallD (installed by default), I’m interested.

    Besides, FirewallD is based on its own app or on Iptables or something else like ufw?

    I would be curious to know because I use it to open certain ports.

    In short, a topic to list all the tips for securing a server and in this case a server without of course disturbing users accessing the web server and in this case, for me it is nodebb

    cya

    @DownPW I’d steer well clear of modifying any kernel as detailed in the first post. There is so much that can go wrong here, it’ll take me a day to list all the possibilities. Whilst there’s nothing “wrong” with what is being suggested, it will affect the entire kernel and could present you with more issues than you set out to resolve.

    You have to remember that what works for one person won’t work for another because every environment is different.

    There’s also nothing fundamentally wrong with FirewallD either - it’s functional - albeit a bit basic, but it does the job very well and is simple to use. I’m curious to understand why you aren’t considering the Hetzner firewall as the first post as this makes much more sense to me in terms of handling DDoS traffic.

  • Ha why not.
    Because I just didn’t think of it lolol

    I know hetzner has DDOS protection which works well unlike some provides.

    It is active on my server but apart from 2 or 3 basic rules (SSH port, nodebb;) I don’t really see what to do with it

    in short if you have any advice to give to secure the best.

  • Ha why not.
    Because I just didn’t think of it lolol

    I know hetzner has DDOS protection which works well unlike some provides.

    It is active on my server but apart from 2 or 3 basic rules (SSH port, nodebb;) I don’t really see what to do with it

    in short if you have any advice to give to secure the best.

    @DownPW 🙂 most of this really depends on your desired security model. In all cases with firewalls, less is always more, although it’s never as clear cut as that, and there are always bespoke ports you’ll need to open periodically.

    Heztner’s DDoS protection is superior, and I know they have invested a lot of time, effort, and money into making it extremely effective. However, if you consider that the largest ever DDoS attack hit Cloudflare at 71m rps (and they were able to deflect it), and each attack can last anywhere between 8-24 hours which really depends on how determined the attacker(s) is/are, you can never be fully prepared - nor can you trace it’s true origin.

    DDoS attacks by their nature (Distributed Denial of Service) are conducted by large numbers of devices whom have become part of a “bot army” - and in most cases, the owners of these devices are blissfully unaware that they have been attacked and are under command and control from a nefarious resource. Given that the attacks originate from multiple sources, this allows the real attacker to observe from a distance whilst concealing their own identity and origin in the process.

    If you consider the desired effect of DDoS, it is not an attempt to access ports that are typically closed, but to flood (and eventually overwhelm) the target (such as a website) with millions of requests per second in an attempt to force it offline. Victims of DDoS attacks are often financial services for example, with either extortion or financial gain being the primary objective - in other words, pay for the originator to stop the attack.

    It’s even possible to get DDoS as a service these days - with a credit card, a few clicks of a mouse and a target IP, you can have your own proxy campaign running in minutes which typically involves “booters” or “stressers” - see below for more

    https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/ddos-as-a-service-attacks-what-are-they-and-how-do-they-work

    @DownPW said in Setting for high load and prevent DDoS (sysctl, iptables, crowdsec or other):

    in short if you have any advice to give to secure the best.

    It’s not just about DDos or firewalls. There are a number of vulnerabilities on all systems that if not patched, will expose that same system to exploit. One of my favourite online testers which does a lot more than most basic ones is below

    https://www.immuniweb.com/websec/

    I’d start with the findings reported here and use that to branch outwards.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab marked this topic as a regular topic on

Related Topics
  • 2 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @Muhammad-Abdan-Farooqui Welcome! i’m currently using (and recommend) Bitdefender. For my sins, I’m using Windows, but need this for teams and Office365 integration (otherwise I’d always choose Linux). Have you looked at the Bitdefender product for MAC? https://www.bitdefender.com/en-gb/consumer/antivirus-for-mac
  • Ex GCHQ employee risk to national security

    Discussion gchq security
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab said in Ex GCHQ employee risk to national security: I can’t believe also that security is so lax that someone without adequate clearance can waltz into a restricted area and take what they want. Yeah I can’t believe that either. It is crazy
  • Arch Server Progress

    Chitchat arch linux server web server
    64
    31 Votes
    64 Posts
    24k Views
    @phenomlab I think I am going to switch to this theme eventually. The one I have is ok, but the price for this theme and what you get with it is really good. The business has broken even and is actually making some money now. We will see what the future holds. I am hoping to start getting enough business so I am behind 2 to 3 months. So we will see. My Arch web server has been working great! No issues with it so far. The only thing lately was the mail server software being updated, and they broke everything. I was able to make the required changes and get it back working and it has been working amazingly so far. I am still really happy I switched to Arch Linux Server and I haven’t had to reinstall the whole operating system due to this switch.
  • 3 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    I’ve been using this service for a couple of days now, and it’s made my internet access so much faster. That alone is a plus, and I never thought there would be a contender for Cloudflare in this area.
  • DDoS attacks on our website.

    Moved Security vercel
    3
    2 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    No response from OP so marking as closed
  • 4 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab No they have a free and pro console instance. We can see alert with IP, Source AS, scenario attack etc… Installation on the NODEBB server without problems. Very good tools [image: 1668812242411-cf7e5a89-84f4-435b-82eb-434c0bfc895e-image.png] [image: 1668811810555-cc82a10e-a1f1-4fd8-a433-7c9b2d31f254-image.png] [image: 1668811841819-1b7147b0-37c6-4d87-b4f1-a0fe92e74afd-image.png] [image: 1668811924623-7c21fc10-1825-48e1-a993-92b84455f074-image.png] – We can also do research on IPs via the crowdsec analyzer I believe it’s 500 per month in the Free version [image: 1668812069082-43bc8265-a57c-4439-829c-0bb8602d99b4-image.png]
  • IRC Server/Client - Chat App with NodeBB

    Linux nodebb irc server client
    6
    1 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    @Hari not sure from the consumer perspective, but Skype has been all but completely consumed by Microsoft Teams when it comes to business usage.
  • 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    933 Views
    No one has replied