Skip to content

Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

Bugs
11 3 3.4k 1
  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

    @Panda What theme are you using? I’m not familiar with a side panel in the admin console. Can you provide a screenshot?

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

    @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

  • @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

    @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda You make some good points here - I too often need to make changes on the move, but just “accepted” thaty some things (like widgets) can’t be manipulated on mobile devices.

    WordPress has always been like that incidentally.

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda said in Why CSS acts different in Desktop?:

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    Yes, I am able to replicate on Android, but on an iPhone, it behaves differently in the sense that you request the desktop site, but it simply defaults to mobile.

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

    @DownPW it works for the most part, but anything that utilizes drag and drop like widgets is a non starter.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

    @DownPW I’d have to agree with that.


Related Topics
  • Forum customisation

    Customisation nodebb forum customised
    11
    2
    6 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    Thank you Mark, the changes look fantastic!!
  • nodebb error logs

    Bugs nodebb
    6
    2
    4 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    I just wanted to ask because I don’t have much knowledge about the new installation. Thank you for the explanatory answer.
  • Sidebar Widget is no longer on the side!

    Moved Solved General nodebb
    4
    2
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda said in Sidebar Widget is no longer on the side!: Ah, so sidebar wont work on mobile? Correct. If you review the docs on bootstrap, you’ll notice that it is designed on a grid system https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/layout/grid/ What I mean by changing the category is moving it on here to general as you posted it in bugs, when it isn’t.
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • NodeBB inline videoplayer

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    12
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab YAY! It works Thanks so much
  • fading in /tags page

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    32
    1
    30 Votes
    32 Posts
    12k Views
    Fix working perfectly
  • RSS parser script [NodeBB]

    Customisation nodebb rss script
    47
    9 Votes
    47 Posts
    21k Views
    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]: @jac Not yet. Sorry. Have some other work commitments I need to prioritise. Hoping to get to this over the weekend. No worries at all mate, thanks
  • WordPress & NodeBB

    Solved WordPress
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @jac That won’t matter. You just redirect at nginx or apache level and it’ll work. The generally accepted standard though is to use a subdomain.