Skip to content

IRC Server/Client - Chat App with NodeBB

Linux
6 3 2.9k 1
  • Hello @all @phenomlab

    NodeBB haven’t got a great chat plugin or native chat system.
    Global chat plugin is very good but he haven’t got moderation tools and it’s a problem.

    For my test, I research a good IRC server for Debian 11 to install on my VM.
    I would like to have Moderation Tools and a GUI for the Configuration (Moderation ,channels etc…)

    For the Client, I have install The Lounge on the VM, it’s a server client IRC wirth GUI, he is very great 😉

    There may be better than IRC servers/clients, but the IRC server/The lounge combo has the advantage of being quite simple without necessarily having user databases.
    Afterwards, if we have a app or system that can interface with the NodeBB user database, that would be great. (IRC server too)

    Thanks my friends

  • Hello @all @phenomlab

    NodeBB haven’t got a great chat plugin or native chat system.
    Global chat plugin is very good but he haven’t got moderation tools and it’s a problem.

    For my test, I research a good IRC server for Debian 11 to install on my VM.
    I would like to have Moderation Tools and a GUI for the Configuration (Moderation ,channels etc…)

    For the Client, I have install The Lounge on the VM, it’s a server client IRC wirth GUI, he is very great 😉

    There may be better than IRC servers/clients, but the IRC server/The lounge combo has the advantage of being quite simple without necessarily having user databases.
    Afterwards, if we have a app or system that can interface with the NodeBB user database, that would be great. (IRC server too)

    Thanks my friends

    @DownPW My personal take on this is that NodeBB is a forum application first and foremost, and it’s PM system is arguably much better than those whom have previously attempted this (Flarum for example). With applications such as Discord, I (personally) see little room for a product like NodeBB to compete, and, a chat plugin would defeat the objective of a forum in the sense that it is not designed to retain archived information useful for other visitors to the site.

    In addition, I see this as harmful to Google searches and general SEO. The chat plugin discussions would not be public, meaning that any useful information contained in the chats themselves are inaccessible to others.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab marked this topic as a regular topic on
  • So sorry Mark @phenomlab for my answer delay, I’ve been pretty busy lately 😞

    I respect your point of view on this.
    however, I would like to test this even for fun.

    After research, I will install InspIRCd for test and Use The Lounge for the client.

    I see rocketchat too but I have no fund a great tutorial for install.

    I’m still looking for a way to interface the NodeBB database (user/password) with another chat application.

    The goal would be for a NodeBB user to be able to use their nodeBB credentials to connect to chat (Irc or other applications)

    cya 😙

  • So sorry Mark @phenomlab for my answer delay, I’ve been pretty busy lately 😞

    I respect your point of view on this.
    however, I would like to test this even for fun.

    After research, I will install InspIRCd for test and Use The Lounge for the client.

    I see rocketchat too but I have no fund a great tutorial for install.

    I’m still looking for a way to interface the NodeBB database (user/password) with another chat application.

    The goal would be for a NodeBB user to be able to use their nodeBB credentials to connect to chat (Irc or other applications)

    cya 😙

    @DownPW I think RocketChat is the most popular these days. I also know there is a plugin that allows NodeBB sessions to persist across applications so that night be worth looking at in terms of authentication.

  • We still use Skype 🤣 these days it’s very slow, we thought of switching to discord for our internal use but we don’t want to miss chay history.

    Chatmantra .io or something is also really nice

  • We still use Skype 🤣 these days it’s very slow, we thought of switching to discord for our internal use but we don’t want to miss chay history.

    Chatmantra .io or something is also really nice

    @Hari not sure from the consumer perspective, but Skype has been all but completely consumed by Microsoft Teams when it comes to business usage.


Related Topics
  • Nodebb and emails

    Solved Configure nodebb
    27
    5 Votes
    27 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda it will use SMTP. In all cases, I never use any plugin to send email. I’ll always send it raw.
  • TNG + Nodebb

    General tng genealogy nodebb plugin
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @Madchatthew said in TNG + Nodebb: you have to try and use duck tape and super glue to change something to make it do what you want it to do I couldn’t have put that better myself.
  • Page control arrows for PWA

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    27
    25 Votes
    27 Posts
    13k Views
    @crazycells it is, yes - I think I’ll leave it as there is no specific PWA CSS classes I know of. Well, you could use something like the below, but this means multiple CSS files for different operating systems. /** * Determine the mobile operating system. * This function returns one of 'iOS', 'Android', 'Windows Phone', or 'unknown'. * * @returns {String} */ function getMobileOperatingSystem() { var userAgent = navigator.userAgent || navigator.vendor || window.opera; // Windows Phone must come first because its UA also contains "Android" if (/windows phone/i.test(userAgent)) { return "Windows Phone"; } if (/android/i.test(userAgent)) { return "Android"; } if (/iPad|iPhone|iPod/.test(userAgent) && !window.MSStream) { return "iOS"; } return "unknown"; // return “Android” - one should either handle the unknown or fallback to a specific platform, let’s say Android } Once you’re in that rabbit hole, it’s impossible to get out of it.
  • Nodebb 3.2.0

    Bugs nodebb nodebb 3.2.0
    20
    1
    2 Votes
    20 Posts
    6k Views
    @crazycells yes, I’m aware of that. Need to fix EDIT- fixed. Caused by the same CSS that is used to absolutely position the “verified” group badge in the posts view. Amended this CSS so that is specifically targets the post stream as below li[component="post"] a[href*="/groups/verified"] { position: absolute !important; left: 8px; z-index: 2; margin-top: 1px; border-radius: 999px !important; line-height: 14px; display: block; height: 22px; margin-left: 0px !important; }
  • Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

    Bugs nodebb
    11
    4 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    @DownPW I’d have to agree with that.
  • nodebb loading emojis

    Solved Configure nodebb emojis
    16
    1
    1 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW sure. Let me have a look at this in more detail. I know nginx plus has extensive support for this, but it’s not impossible to get somewhere near acceptable with the standard version. You might be better off handling this at the Cloudflare level given that it sits in between the requesting client and your server.
  • 11 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    @dave1904 excellent news. Thanks for the feedback
  • [NodeBB] custom Gravatar image not showing

    Solved Customisation
    6
    1 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    @jac said in [NodeBB] custom Gravatar image not showing: @phenomlab said in [NodeBB] custom Gravatar image not showing: @jac are you using Custom ? Sure am mate Confirmed Fixed