Skip to content

Mongodb Authorisation.

Solved General
  • Error: couldn’t add user: there are no users authenticated :

Above error is what I receive when i try to add a user or showdbs for example.

This is a clean install of ubuntu 20.04 and all on a new drive.

Things is I thought I am sure I already added a user and db previously. Now this when i try to install nodebb again. Any ideas? Security is auth=true in mongodb.conf

• @Sampo2910 this is because you have the below in your mongod.conf

security:
      authorization: enabled

This forces the database to only accept connections or direct commands if you authenticate first. If you look at the guide, the ordering of steps is to add the users in the database before enabling the authorization.

https://docs.nodebb.org/installing/os/ubuntu/

Not that this matters as such but can be confusing if you enable this setting before creating the users.

• @Sampo2910 What do you get from the command below

mongo -u admin -p password --authenticationDatabase=admin

Obviously, replace password with the real one.

• @phenomlab
    When i used that and replaced details I get

MongoDB shell version v3.6.8
    connecting to: mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017
    Implicit session: session { "id" : UUID("33e5efda-709f-43a9-ab1f-6c2f5be24199") }
    MongoDB server version: 3.6.8
    Server has startup warnings:
    2022-12-02T18:33:17.917+0200 I STORAGE  [initandlisten]
    2022-12-02T18:33:17.917+0200 I STORAGE  [initandlisten] ** WARNING: Using the XFS filesystem is strongly recommended with the WiredTiger storage engine
    2022-12-02T18:33:17.917+0200 I STORAGE  [initandlisten] **          See http://dochub.mongodb.org/core/prodnotes-filesystem
    > show dbs
    admin          0.000GB
    cod4xwebadmin  0.002GB
    config         0.000GB
    local          0.000GB
    >

So i can go in there that way and i managed to create a user etc. Previously i just used ‘mongo’ and I could do all. What did change? I am using a newer version of Mongo than before. I know that.

• @Sampo2910 this is because you have the below in your mongod.conf

security:
      authorization: enabled

This forces the database to only accept connections or direct commands if you authenticate first. If you look at the guide, the ordering of steps is to add the users in the database before enabling the authorization.

Not that this matters as such but can be confusing if you enable this setting before creating the users.

• phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • @phenomlab

I do not really understand because I have always had it enabled in the past and was still able to use commands by just using ‘mongo’ in the shell. Whilst enabled I was also able to install NodeBB and create users. Just this time round I cannot even though I have followed instruction the same way.

The other app i use instructs me to enable and at no point says to turn it off. That’s the same with nodebb install instructions.

I do not have mongod.conf but mongodb.conf. The security looks like this:

# Turn on/off security.  Off is currently the default
    #noauth = true
    auth = true

• @Sampo2910 interesting. What OS are you using?

• @phenomlab

Ubuntu 20.04
    MongoDB shell version v3.6.8

• @Sampo2910 that conf file doesn’t look right to me. From where did you install MongoDB?

• @phenomlab It is the one i have used for years and the way i did it for years.

https://linuxhint.com/install_mongodb_ubuntu_20_04/

• @Sampo2910 hmm. Nothing wrong with that guide, but I’ve never seen a conf file from MongoDB that looks like it.

Can you send me the remainder of the file?

• @phenomlab

# mongodb.conf

# Where to store the data.
    dbpath=/var/lib/mongodb

#where to log
    logpath=/var/log/mongodb/mongodb.log

logappend=true

bind_ip = 127.0.0.1
    #port = 27017

# Enable journaling, http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Journaling
    journal=true

# Enables periodic logging of CPU utilization and I/O wait
    #cpu = true

# Turn on/off security.  Off is currently the default
    #noauth = true
    auth = true

# Verbose logging output.
    #verbose = true

# Inspect all client data for validity on receipt (useful for
    # developing drivers)
    #objcheck = true

# Enable db quota management
    #quota = true

# Set diagnostic logging level where n is
    #   0=off (default)
    #   1=W
    #   2=R
    #   3=both
    #   7=W+some reads
    #diaglog = 0

# Diagnostic/debugging option
    #nocursors = true

# Ignore query hints
    #nohints = true

# Disable the HTTP interface (Defaults to localhost:27018).
    #nohttpinterface = true

# Turns off server-side scripting.  This will result in greatly limited
    # functionality
    #noscripting = true

# Turns off table scans.  Any query that would do a table scan fails.
    #notablescan = true

# Disable data file preallocation.
    #noprealloc = true

# Specify .ns file size for new databases.
    # nssize = <size>

# Accout token for Mongo monitoring server.
    #mms-token = <token>

# Server name for Mongo monitoring server.
    #mms-name = <server-name>

# Ping interval for Mongo monitoring server.
    #mms-interval = <seconds>

# Replication Options

# in replicated mongo databases, specify here whether this is a slave or master
    #slave = true
    #source = master.example.com
    # Slave only: specify a single database to replicate
    #only = master.example.com
    # or
    #master = true
    #source = slave.example.com

# Address of a server to pair with.
    #pairwith = <server:port>
    # Address of arbiter server.
    #arbiter = <server:port>
    # Automatically resync if slave data is stale
    #autoresync
    # Custom size for replication operation log.
    #oplogSize = <MB>
    # Size limit for in-memory storage of op ids.
    #opIdMem = <bytes>

# SSL options
    # Enable SSL on normal ports
    #sslOnNormalPorts = true
    # SSL Key file and password
    #sslPEMKeyFile = /etc/ssl/mongodb.pem
    #sslPEMKeyPassword = pass

• @Sampo2910 I’ve only ever installed MongoDB using the NodeBB guide

• @phenomlab

All broken at the moment. Will figure it out 🙂 Using that guide above stopped my other app and a ton of errors on install 🙂 Also this is now in nodebb. All for another day 🙂

2022-12-03 01_31_24-Extend _ Plugins _ NodeBB Admin Control Panel.png

• @Sampo2910 what were the errors? I’ve never had an issue with it?

• @phenomlab Only way all works is if i use node v12 anything more i get errors like that on the page.

MongoDB shell version v5.0.14 and MongoDB server version: 3.6.8 is what I am using. I get a warning that they do not match but i cant seem to update mongo server version either.

I am not at a level where I understand to be honest. Node, npm, nvm mongo…things work on some versions and not others. Updating to the latest just breaks things.

smiley@fmjcod4:~$ mongo
    MongoDB shell version v5.0.14
    connecting to: mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017/?compressors=disabled&gssapiServiceName=mongodb
    Implicit session: session { "id" : UUID("b7326d9b-2817-403e-b072-2f0f5330761d") }
    MongoDB server version: 3.6.8
    WARNING: shell and server versions do not match
    ================
    Warning: the "mongo" shell has been superseded by "mongosh",
    which delivers improved usability and compatibility.The "mongo" shell has been deprecated and will be removed in
    an upcoming release.
    For installation instructions, see
    https://docs.mongodb.com/mongodb-shell/install/
    ================
    > show dbs
    uncaught exception: Error: Failed to acquire database information from privileges :
    _getErrorWithCode@src/mongo/shell/utils.js:25:13
    Mongo.prototype._getDatabaseNamesFromPrivileges@src/mongo/shell/mongo.js:69:15
    Mongo.prototype.getDBs/<@src/mongo/shell/mongo.js:134:31
    Mongo.prototype.getDBs@src/mongo/shell/mongo.js:97:12
    shellHelper.show@src/mongo/shell/utils.js:956:13
    shellHelper@src/mongo/shell/utils.js:838:15
    @(shellhelp2):1:1
    > exit
    bye

• @Sampo2910 yes, that does indeed look a mess! I don’t think nodeJS at version 12 for NodeBB is even supported anymore. I asked a similar question but so long ago

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/16532/supported-version-of-nodejs

Plus, the version of MongoDB started (3.x) is also really old. I seem to recall you using an app which is considered legacy and requires older versions of software, but I think the two together are going to cause you significant issues - clearly which you’re seeing now.

My suggestion would be to keep these on separate machines.

• @Sampo2910 I just saw this on the NodeBB community site and it seems very much in line with the issue you are experiencing. Worth a look I think

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/16826/does-nodebb-work-with-mongodb-6-0

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Why not buy me a coffee? It's a nice gesture, and a great way to show your appreciation 💗