Skip to content

Threaded post support for NodeBB

Let's Build It
146 5 104.3k 1
  • @DownPW Let me have a look.

    @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW Let me have a look.

    Thanks Mark 🙂

    @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW seems fine, yes. Any obvious conflict with other elements?

    Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    It’s a bit the same problem as the previous bug.

    It would be more interesting to act on the dropdown menu than the other elements one by one but my attempts are not fruitful for the moment.

    We could kill one stone/two birds

  • @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW Let me have a look.

    Thanks Mark 🙂

    @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW seems fine, yes. Any obvious conflict with other elements?

    Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    It’s a bit the same problem as the previous bug.

    It would be more interesting to act on the dropdown menu than the other elements one by one but my attempts are not fruitful for the moment.

    We could kill one stone/two birds

    @DownPW I see the issue. Can you please make the below CSS changes - notice the ones commented out and their replacements (which you should follow)

    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event, .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"], .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component=post] {
        border-left: none;
        /* transition: transform 0.3s ease !important; */
        transition: margin-left 0.3s ease, margin-right 0.3s ease !important;
        background: var(--bs-body-bg);
        border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
    }
    
    li[component=post].threaded {
        /* transform: translateX(-100px); */
        /* transition: transform 0.3s ease !important; */
        margin-left: -75px !important;
        transition: margin-left 0.3s ease, margin-right 0.3s ease !important;
    }
    

    My expectation is that this will still work (but using margin instead of transform), and also ensure that the reverse dropdown is not being hidden by the [component="post"] elements.

    When you use transform on an element, a new stacking order is created for it. As you are transforming a parent which doesn’t have z-index of it’s own, a new stacking order for itself and child elements is created. As a result, the child element with z-index remains below the [component="post"] elements.

    If you want to see this in action before applying the CSS, you can remove translateX(-100px) from the li[component=post].threaded class and then try the dropdown menu again. You’ll notice it appears correctly this time, although the content is not being shifted because the translate has been removed.

    We replace it with margin which is slightly less performant when it comes to animation, but the nature of NodeBB is to lazyload posts, therefore, this negates the overall impact to the DOM.

    Let me know if this works.

  • Thats work. Many thanks for resolve
    Thanks for the information, I understand better.

    Would have a working solution other than mine for this :

  • Thats work. Many thanks for resolve
    Thanks for the information, I understand better.

    Would have a working solution other than mine for this :

    @DownPW is that still an issue? I can’t replicate that on your dev site?

    aef70b6b-f702-4a8e-9bab-c0bfd8a34628-image.png

  • Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    cache maybe. I have delete the bugfix because not bug fix 🙂

    image.png

  • Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    cache maybe. I have delete the bugfix because not bug fix 🙂

    image.png

    @DownPW said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    cache maybe. I have delete the bugfix because not bug fix

    Yes, I can’t reproduce this.

  • I mean bug is present but my bug fix don’t work properly.

    test to delete my cache and tell you

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab referenced this topic on
  • @phenomlab not cache 😞

  • @DownPW PM me the link to the post.

  • actually, I noticed that it’s not on all the posts.
    it seems that these are the posts where the last response is that of the user (selfpost)

    DONE

  • actually, I noticed that it’s not on all the posts.
    it seems that these are the posts where the last response is that of the user (selfpost)

    DONE

    @DownPW I’ll have a look at this later

  • no problem.
    I have resolve this bug with change/replace this CSS CODE (I have just delete transform directive) :

    li.pt-4.self-post:not(.self-post .topic-owner-post).threaded {
       /*transform: translateX(0px) !important;*/
       transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
       background: var(--bs-body-bg);
       background: var(--bs-body-navbar)!important;
       padding-right: 30px;
       margin-left: 0rem;
       padding-bottom: 0rem !important;
     }
    

    I don’t know if is a goodfix or not.

  • no problem.
    I have resolve this bug with change/replace this CSS CODE (I have just delete transform directive) :

    li.pt-4.self-post:not(.self-post .topic-owner-post).threaded {
       /*transform: translateX(0px) !important;*/
       transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
       background: var(--bs-body-bg);
       background: var(--bs-body-navbar)!important;
       padding-right: 30px;
       margin-left: 0rem;
       padding-bottom: 0rem !important;
     }
    

    I don’t know if is a goodfix or not.

    @DownPW yes, was just typing that!

  • ha ha 🙂

  • Quick note here for anyone who is using the Threaded Posts code and has recently upgraded to 3.7.0 - only to find the threaded posts is now broken 💔

    This is being caused by the HTML structure changes that 3.7.0 makes in the DOM, meaning the element we used to target pre this release no longer exists. To resolve this, locate the line (within the threaded JS function)

    $('.topic .sticky-tools ul.list-unstyled').append(threadView);
    

    And replace it with

    $('.topic .sticky-tools .thread-tools').append(threadView);
    

    That should make it re-appear.

  • Mark hi,
    I dont have this code in my js functions.

  • Mark hi,
    I dont have this code in my js functions.

    @cagatay Yes, because you have legacy code. The line you have is this

    $('.topic .sticky-tools ul [component="topic/browsing-users"]:last-of-type').append(threadView);
    

    This will work fine because you are using the browsing users plugin, but should you decide to remove it, the threaded utility will cease to function. I’ve replaced that line with the below on your forum.

    $('.topic .sticky-tools .thread-tools').append(threadView);
    

Related Topics
  • NodeBB v4.0.0

    General nodebb sudonix version 4
    28
    4 Votes
    28 Posts
    7k Views
    @Panda said in NodeBB v4.0.0: the workings of World aren’t intuitive Its not easy to get World populating when a forum is new to it This is a good point and one I’ve considered also. It’s a little confusing to be honest.
  • Threaded chat support for NodeBB

    Let's Build It threaded chat code
    35
    1
    19 Votes
    35 Posts
    15k Views
    @DownPW said in Threaded chat support for NodeBB: Better like this : add shadow and border-left on self answer Of course - you style to your own requirements and taste I’ll commit that CSS we discussed yesterday also
  • Following the API docs but its not clear ...

    Solved Customisation api nodebb
    8
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda you’d be surprised. If you consider that you’d need to use the API to be able to populate a WordPress widget for example (which in turn would of course be PHP), taking this route is still immensely popular.
  • Whitespace fixes in Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    18
    2
    7 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    @Panda Just circling back here with something of an update (which I think you’ll like). I’ve completely restructured the ranking system. There are now less ranks, with a higher point threshold to reach them. More importantly, if you reload the site, you’ll notice that the ranks are now icons. I also removed the “Author” badge, and made this a single icon, which (to me) looks much better.
  • 14 Votes
    69 Posts
    56k Views
    @phenomlab Seems to be better with some scaling fix for redis on redis.conf. I haven’t seen the message yet since the changes I made # I increase it to the value of /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn tcp-backlog 4096 # I'm uncommenting because it can slow down Redis. Uncommented by default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #save 900 1 #save 300 10 #save 60 10000 If you have other Redis optimizations. I take all your advice https://severalnines.com/blog/performance-tuning-redis/
  • Fresher in Nodebb install

    General nodebb
    24
    15 Votes
    24 Posts
    11k Views
    @Hari I’ve been reading a lot about APO. Looks impressive.
  • Dark Theme Upper Padding

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    7
    1
    6 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW great! thanks a lot… this code solves my problem.
  • NodeBB vs Discourse

    Chitchat nodebb discourse board
    25
    6 Votes
    25 Posts
    13k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB vs Discourse: Hetzner eh ? I use them also. In fact, Sudonix is hosted in Nuremberg yes i’m also at hetzner, i have been a customer there for years with a reseller account for domains. My VPS that I host there are also in Nuremberg