Skip to content

NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme

Discussion
22 4 11.0k 1
  • @DownPW I’m running Harmony now on https://sudonix.dev 🙂 There is no swatch functionality from what I can see, so the code we developed is still up for the taking.

    @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    @DownPW I’m running Harmony now on https://sudonix.dev 🙂 There is no swatch functionality from what I can see, so the code we developed is still up for the taking.

    thanks for this one 👍
    I could check it more seriously…

  • Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.

    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…

    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/16908/january-2023-developer-update/15?_=1673947070798

  • Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.

    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…

    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/16908/january-2023-developer-update/15?_=1673947070798

    @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.
    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…
    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here

    Do you think I could go through your swatch rather than the one I have?

    Because I don’t believe you released your code here. Whether ?

    Either way, I know I’ll have to start all over again in these 2 cases

  • @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Just looking through my code here, and provided that Persona as a NodeBB theme continues to be maintained, then the conversion of my code to v3 is a relatively simple affair meaning I could continue with my Swatch code without too much effort.
    Essentially, the move from v2 to v3 is basically the migration of bootstrap from v3 to v5. I suppose much of this depends on the future of Persona…
    EDIT - I’ll just leave this here

    Do you think I could go through your swatch rather than the one I have?

    Because I don’t believe you released your code here. Whether ?

    Either way, I know I’ll have to start all over again in these 2 cases

    @DownPW Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.

    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

  • @DownPW Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.

    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.
    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    Yes indeed, we have to focus on one main theme and not two. (Persona or Harmony)

    I don’t yet have the opinions of the other members of my team but since it’s I who will then develop the themes compatible with Harmony, I think that we will go towards the road of Harmony

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance 😉

  • @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.
    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    Yes indeed, we have to focus on one main theme and not two. (Persona or Harmony)

    I don’t yet have the opinions of the other members of my team but since it’s I who will then develop the themes compatible with Harmony, I think that we will go towards the road of Harmony

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance 😉

    @DownPW said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance

    More than happy to do so. In fact, BS5 makes it so much easier as LESS variables are being used, which we simply target and change. Far LESS (pun intended) work !

  • @phenomlab said in NodeBB v3 and Harmony Theme:

    Yes, of course. However, because of the change of elements, I have to re-write most of it. In addition, only one theme will be supported - either Persona, or Harmony. If we go the Harmony route (which is highly likely) then virtually all of the swatch needs to be re-written including LESS etc.
    I don’t want to support more than one theme and would ideally stick to Harmony.

    Yes indeed, we have to focus on one main theme and not two. (Persona or Harmony)

    I don’t yet have the opinions of the other members of my team but since it’s I who will then develop the themes compatible with Harmony, I think that we will go towards the road of Harmony

    If you are ready to share your codes once finished and explain how to use it, it’s really a good thing and I already thank you in advance 😉

    @DownPW I’ve started development work on Harmony in v3 and should have some beta code for you to test soon. Stay tuned!

  • @DownPW I’ve started development work on Harmony in v3 and should have some beta code for you to test soon. Stay tuned!

    @phenomlab Oh yeah very good news 😉

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab forked this topic on
  • hello mark

    here is my tutorial for install V3.00 but it’s for alpha3.0 like you see in command.

    cd /path/to/your/nodebb
    git rev-parse HEAD  # save this value in case you need to roll back  
    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    git reset --hard v3.0.0-alpha.3
    npm config set legacy-peer-deps true
    ./nodebb upgrade -mi
    ./nodebb build
    ./nodebb start
    

    – My questions :

    • How to know the name of the last version for V3 for install it (here is alpha.3) and adapt cli command above ?

    • How to upgrade the dev environment ? I know when Harmony it’s upgrade, we must upgrade boottrap 5

    – Here the command to upgrade bootstrap5 :

    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    

    Many thanks

  • hello mark

    here is my tutorial for install V3.00 but it’s for alpha3.0 like you see in command.

    cd /path/to/your/nodebb
    git rev-parse HEAD  # save this value in case you need to roll back  
    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    git reset --hard v3.0.0-alpha.3
    npm config set legacy-peer-deps true
    ./nodebb upgrade -mi
    ./nodebb build
    ./nodebb start
    

    – My questions :

    • How to know the name of the last version for V3 for install it (here is alpha.3) and adapt cli command above ?

    • How to upgrade the dev environment ? I know when Harmony it’s upgrade, we must upgrade boottrap 5

    – Here the command to upgrade bootstrap5 :

    git fetch && git checkout bootstrap5
    

    Many thanks

  • Been playing with the user profile page this afternoon. Thought I’d post a video as I’m really pleased with how this came out


Related Topics
  • What’s going on with NodeBB?

    Performance nodebb script die
    20
    8 Votes
    20 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay The most reliable way to upgrade Node.js on Ubuntu depends on how you originally installed it. Method 1: Using NVM (Recommended) If you already use Node Version Manager (NVM), upgrading is simple. NVM allows you to keep both versions and switch between them if needed. Install Node 22: nvm install 22 Switch to Node 22: nvm use 22 Set it as your default: nvm alias default 22 Verify the change: node -v Method 2: Using NodeSource (PPA) If you installed Node.js via apt using the NodeSource repository, you need to update the repository script to point to the new version. Remove the old NodeSource list (optional but cleaner): sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list Download and run the NodeSource setup script for Node 22: curl -fsSL [https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x](https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x) | sudo -E bash - Install/Upgrade Node.js: sudo apt-get install -y nodejs Verify the installation: node -v Method 3: Using the ‘n’ Package If you have npm installed, you can use the n interactive manager. Clear the npm cache: sudo npm cache clean -f Install the ‘n’ helper: sudo npm install -g n Install Node 22: sudo n 22 Update your shell: hash -r Troubleshooting Permission Denied: If you see permission errors using Method 2 or 3, ensure you are using sudo. Path Issues: If node -v still shows version 20 after upgrading via NVM, restart your terminal or run source ~/.bashrc. Conflicts: Avoid mixing these methods. If you switch from apt to nvm, it is best to sudo apt remove nodejs first to avoid path conflicts.
  • Nodebb and emails

    Solved Configure nodebb
    27
    5 Votes
    27 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda it will use SMTP. In all cases, I never use any plugin to send email. I’ll always send it raw.
  • How to deploy WordPress.org Developer theme

    Solved Configure wordpress theme github
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @Hari the real issue here is that I don’t think it can be used as a theme for WordPress because of the dependencies it clearly has, including its own Web server. My view here is that this is designed to be a complete development environment outside of the WordPress core.
  • how to hide "moved" badge with CSS?

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    12
    1
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @crazycells ah, I see. That makes sense.
  • SEO and Nodebb

    Performance nodebb seo
    2
    2 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda It’s the best it’s ever been to be honest. I’ve used a myriad of systems in the past - most notably, WordPress, and then Flarum (which for SEO, was absolutely dire - they never even had SEO out of the box, and relied on a third party extension to do it), and NodeBB easily fares the best - see below example https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asudonix.org&oq=site%3Asudonix.org&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j69i58j69i60l2.9039j0j3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1 However, this was not without significant effort on my part once I’d migrated from COM to ORG - see below posts https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17286/google-crawl-error-after-site-migration/17?_=1688461250365 And also https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/221027803?hl=en&msgid=221464164 It was painful to say the least - as it turns out, there was an issue in NodeBB core that prevented spiders from getting to content, which as far as I understand, is now fixed. SEO in itself is a dark art - a black box that nobody really fully understands, and it’s essentially going to boil down to one thing - “content”. Google’s algorithm for indexing has also changed dramatically over the years. They only now crawl content that has value, so if it believes that your site has nothing to offer, it will simply skip it.
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • How to fix header side as boxed

    Solved Customisation header boxed sudonix nodebb
    10
    1
    6 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab yes it caused a problem for mobile users. thank you for helping …
  • Fontawesome 5

    Unsolved Customisation fonts css nodebb
    14
    1 Votes
    14 Posts
    5k Views
    @pwsincd hi. Just following up on this thread (I know it’s old) but was curious to understand if it’s still an issue or not ?