Skip to content

Threaded post support for NodeBB

Let's Build It
146 5 104.2k 1
  • sure :

    function threaded() {
        $(document).ready(function () {
            // Check if the screen width is 1200px or more
            if ($(window).width() >= 1200) {
                // Check if the dropdown already exists
                if ($('#enableThreading').length === 0) {
                    var threadView = $('<div class="threads-wrapper"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars left"></i><form class="form"><div class="form-check form-switch sticky-tools-bar"> \
                        <input class="form-check-input" id="enableThreading" type="checkbox" data-field="enableThreading"> \
                        <label class=" d-none d-md-inline fw-semibold" for="enableThreading"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars-staggered right"></i></label> \
                    </div></form></div>');
                    $('.topic .sticky-tools ul [component="topic/browsing-users"]:last-of-type').append(threadView);
                    // Check if there's a stored state for the checkbox and update it
                    var storedState = localStorage.getItem('enableThreadingState');
                    if (storedState === 'true') {
                        $('#enableThreading').prop('checked', true);
                    }
                }
                // Toggle the class 'threaded' on or off when the checkbox changes state
                $('#enableThreading').on('change', function () {
                    var isChecked = $(this).is(':checked');
                    if (isChecked) {
                        console.log('Thread view is active.');
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').addClass('threaded');
                        $('.posts-container').addClass('threaded')
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').addClass('threaded')
                        $('.post-container').addClass('threaded')
                        $('.timeline-event').addClass('threaded')
                        $('[component="post/footer"]').addClass('threaded');
                        $('[component="post"]').each(function () {
                            // Add the 'threaded' class to matching elements
                            if ($(this).hasClass('pt-4') || $(this).hasClass('self-post')) {
                                $(this).addClass('threaded');
                                $('.topic .sticky-tools').addClass('threaded');
                            }
                        });
                    } else {
                        console.log('Thread view is inactive.');
                        $('[component="post"]').removeClass('threaded');
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').removeClass('threaded');
                        $('.posts-container').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('.post-container').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('.timeline-event').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('[component="post/footer"]').removeClass('threaded');
                        $('.topic .sticky-tools').removeClass('threaded');
                    }
                    // Store the checkbox state in localStorage
                    localStorage.setItem('enableThreadingState', isChecked);
                });
                // Check for changes in the checkbox state when the page loads
                $('#enableThreading').trigger('change');
            }
        });
    }
    
    function threadedChat() {
        $(document).ready(function () {
            // Check if the screen width is 1200px or more
            if ($(window).width() >= 1200) {
                // Check if the dropdown already exists
                if ($('#enableThreadingChat').length === 0) {
                    var chatView = $('<div class="threads-wrapper"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars left"></i><form class="form"><div class="form-check form-switch sticky-tools-bar"> \
                        <input class="form-check-input" id="enableThreadingChat" type="checkbox" data-field="enableThreading"> \
                        <label class=" d-none d-md-inline fw-semibold" for="enableThreadingChat"><span class="title-tooltip top" tooltip-text="Éditer Profil"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars-staggered right"></i></label> \
                    </div></form></div>');
                    $('[component="chat/header"]').prepend(chatView);
    
                    // Check if there's a stored state for the checkbox and update it
                    var storedState = localStorage.getItem('enableThreadingStateChat');
                    if (storedState === 'true') {
                        $('#enableThreadingChat').prop('checked', true);
                    }
                }
    
                // Toggle the class 'threaded' on or off when the checkbox changes state
                $('#enableThreadingChat').on('change', function () {
                    var isChecked = $(this).is(':checked');
                    if (isChecked) {
                        console.log('Thread view is active.');
                        $('[component="chat/message"]').each(function () {
                            // Add the 'threaded' class to matching elements
                            if ($(this).hasClass('chat-message')) {
                                $(this).addClass('threaded');
                            }
                        });
                    } else {
                        console.log('Thread view is inactive.');
                        $('[component="chat/message"]').removeClass('threaded');
                    }
    
                    // Store the checkbox state in localStorage
                    localStorage.setItem('enableThreadingStateChat', isChecked);
                });
    
                // Check for changes in the checkbox state when the page loads
                $('#enableThreadingChat').trigger('change');
            }
        });
    }
    
    
    $(window).on('action:chat.loaded', function(data) {
            threadedChat();
    });
    $(window).on('action:chat.received', function(data) {
            threadedChat();
    });
    $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function (data) {
        threaded();
    });
    
    $(window).on('action:posts.edited', function (data) {
        threaded();
    });
    
    $(window).on('action:posts.loaded', function (data) {
        threaded();
    });
    

    @DownPW Thanks. You should remove the threadedChat function and these lines

    $(window).on('action:chat.loaded', function(data) {
            threadedChat();
    });
    $(window).on('action:chat.received', function(data) {
            threadedChat();
    });
    

    That code is not functional yet and is very experimental 🙂

    I’ll have a look at your DEV environment to make the code recommendations.

  • sure :

    function threaded() {
        $(document).ready(function () {
            // Check if the screen width is 1200px or more
            if ($(window).width() >= 1200) {
                // Check if the dropdown already exists
                if ($('#enableThreading').length === 0) {
                    var threadView = $('<div class="threads-wrapper"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars left"></i><form class="form"><div class="form-check form-switch sticky-tools-bar"> \
                        <input class="form-check-input" id="enableThreading" type="checkbox" data-field="enableThreading"> \
                        <label class=" d-none d-md-inline fw-semibold" for="enableThreading"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars-staggered right"></i></label> \
                    </div></form></div>');
                    $('.topic .sticky-tools ul [component="topic/browsing-users"]:last-of-type').append(threadView);
                    // Check if there's a stored state for the checkbox and update it
                    var storedState = localStorage.getItem('enableThreadingState');
                    if (storedState === 'true') {
                        $('#enableThreading').prop('checked', true);
                    }
                }
                // Toggle the class 'threaded' on or off when the checkbox changes state
                $('#enableThreading').on('change', function () {
                    var isChecked = $(this).is(':checked');
                    if (isChecked) {
                        console.log('Thread view is active.');
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').addClass('threaded');
                        $('.posts-container').addClass('threaded')
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').addClass('threaded')
                        $('.post-container').addClass('threaded')
                        $('.timeline-event').addClass('threaded')
                        $('[component="post/footer"]').addClass('threaded');
                        $('[component="post"]').each(function () {
                            // Add the 'threaded' class to matching elements
                            if ($(this).hasClass('pt-4') || $(this).hasClass('self-post')) {
                                $(this).addClass('threaded');
                                $('.topic .sticky-tools').addClass('threaded');
                            }
                        });
                    } else {
                        console.log('Thread view is inactive.');
                        $('[component="post"]').removeClass('threaded');
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').removeClass('threaded');
                        $('.posts-container').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('ul[component="topic"]').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('.post-container').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('.timeline-event').removeClass('threaded')
                        $('[component="post/footer"]').removeClass('threaded');
                        $('.topic .sticky-tools').removeClass('threaded');
                    }
                    // Store the checkbox state in localStorage
                    localStorage.setItem('enableThreadingState', isChecked);
                });
                // Check for changes in the checkbox state when the page loads
                $('#enableThreading').trigger('change');
            }
        });
    }
    
    function threadedChat() {
        $(document).ready(function () {
            // Check if the screen width is 1200px or more
            if ($(window).width() >= 1200) {
                // Check if the dropdown already exists
                if ($('#enableThreadingChat').length === 0) {
                    var chatView = $('<div class="threads-wrapper"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars left"></i><form class="form"><div class="form-check form-switch sticky-tools-bar"> \
                        <input class="form-check-input" id="enableThreadingChat" type="checkbox" data-field="enableThreading"> \
                        <label class=" d-none d-md-inline fw-semibold" for="enableThreadingChat"><span class="title-tooltip top" tooltip-text="Éditer Profil"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-bars-staggered right"></i></label> \
                    </div></form></div>');
                    $('[component="chat/header"]').prepend(chatView);
    
                    // Check if there's a stored state for the checkbox and update it
                    var storedState = localStorage.getItem('enableThreadingStateChat');
                    if (storedState === 'true') {
                        $('#enableThreadingChat').prop('checked', true);
                    }
                }
    
                // Toggle the class 'threaded' on or off when the checkbox changes state
                $('#enableThreadingChat').on('change', function () {
                    var isChecked = $(this).is(':checked');
                    if (isChecked) {
                        console.log('Thread view is active.');
                        $('[component="chat/message"]').each(function () {
                            // Add the 'threaded' class to matching elements
                            if ($(this).hasClass('chat-message')) {
                                $(this).addClass('threaded');
                            }
                        });
                    } else {
                        console.log('Thread view is inactive.');
                        $('[component="chat/message"]').removeClass('threaded');
                    }
    
                    // Store the checkbox state in localStorage
                    localStorage.setItem('enableThreadingStateChat', isChecked);
                });
    
                // Check for changes in the checkbox state when the page loads
                $('#enableThreadingChat').trigger('change');
            }
        });
    }
    
    
    $(window).on('action:chat.loaded', function(data) {
            threadedChat();
    });
    $(window).on('action:chat.received', function(data) {
            threadedChat();
    });
    $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function (data) {
        threaded();
    });
    
    $(window).on('action:posts.edited', function (data) {
        threaded();
    });
    
    $(window).on('action:posts.loaded', function (data) {
        threaded();
    });
    

    @DownPW I changed your CSS as it was lacking the actual .threaded class which is the target we add and remove

    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline [component="topic/event"].timeline-event, .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline [component="topic/necro-post"].timeline-event.threaded {
        background: transparent !important;
        margin-bottom: 10px !important;
    }
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .threaded:last-child .timeline-event:last-child,
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .threaded:last-child>[component="post/placeholder"]:last-child,
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .threaded:last-child>[component=post]:last-child {
        margin-left: 0.5rem !important;
    }
    

    Seems to work, but can you confirm?

  • nope

    Sorry I was on my way back from work @phenomlab

    So in fact I’m already going to try adding .threaded to the CSS code.

    When I activate Thread mode, everything is OK however when I deactivate Thread mode, certain classes remain and are not deleted

    For example here, without Thread mode, the background is not returned to vanilla and the same thing for the border-radius :

    0a214db5-6435-49dc-b04d-52842ba0b28d-image.png

  • nope

    Sorry I was on my way back from work @phenomlab

    So in fact I’m already going to try adding .threaded to the CSS code.

    When I activate Thread mode, everything is OK however when I deactivate Thread mode, certain classes remain and are not deleted

    For example here, without Thread mode, the background is not returned to vanilla and the same thing for the border-radius :

    0a214db5-6435-49dc-b04d-52842ba0b28d-image.png

    @DownPW For clarity, I didn’t change all of the classes - only the two you posted last

    Threading off

    fe3562db-edee-4f63-a8aa-1eb59c1279ea-image.png

    Threading on

    a92e0031-cf0c-416e-a1f7-53a6cb3a6631-image.png

  • yep but these 2 class have problem, on your screens, with Threading Off, background color use –bs-body-navbar and not –bs-body-bg.
    And if you seen topi event is not transparent like vanilla

  • yep but these 2 class have problem, on your screens, with Threading Off, background color use –bs-body-navbar and not –bs-body-bg.
    And if you seen topi event is not transparent like vanilla

    @DownPW That should make no difference?

    Just remove it from the class

    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event, .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"], .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component=post] {
        border-left: none;
        transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
        background: var(--bs-body-bg);
        /* background: var(--bs-body-navbar); */
        border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
    }
    

    9871c5b3-1b9b-415b-b848-0f663341fc09-image.png

  • that makes all the difference 🙂

    Vanilla is like this:

    image.png

  • yep but these 2 class have problem, on your screens, with Threading Off, background color use –bs-body-navbar and not –bs-body-bg.
    And if you seen topi event is not transparent like vanilla

    @DownPW said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    And if you seen topi event is not transparent like vanilla

    It is for me

    6d89cea9-6311-48d1-8eea-07b7b827eafd-image.png

  • nope for me

    image.png

  • no return to vanilla background

    blink2.gif

    vanilla: bs-body-bg
    thread ON: bs-body-navbar

  • no return to vanilla background

    blink2.gif

    vanilla: bs-body-bg
    thread ON: bs-body-navbar

    @DownPW Because your CSS has not been altered dude.

    ebe21e6c-5409-498f-a5dd-605403c52622-image.png

    Try now. It works for me?

  • I have not the same result :

    image.png

    I have bs-body-bg with thread ON

  • I have not the same result :

    image.png

    I have bs-body-bg with thread ON

    @DownPW Isn’t that correct, or do you want --bs-body-navbar ?

  • no return to vanilla background

    blink2.gif

    vanilla: bs-body-bg
    thread ON: bs-body-navbar

    @DownPW said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    vanilla: bs-body-bg
    thread ON: bs-body-navbar

  • @DownPW said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    vanilla: bs-body-bg
    thread ON: bs-body-navbar

    @DownPW Right. Hold on.

  • or maybe for each modification this must be specified twice ?

    THREAD OFF

    /* Start of threaded CSS rules */
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event,
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"],
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post"] {
      border-left: none;
      transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
      background: var(--bs-body-bg);
      /* background: var(--bs-body-navbar); */
      border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
    }
    

    THREAD ON

    /* Start of threaded CSS rules */
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event,
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"],
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post"].threaded {
      border-left: none;
      transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
      /* background: var(--bs-body-bg); */
      background: var(--bs-body-navbar);
      border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
    }
    

    Same things for other modif like border radius

  • or maybe for each modification this must be specified twice ?

    THREAD OFF

    /* Start of threaded CSS rules */
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event,
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"],
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post"] {
      border-left: none;
      transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
      background: var(--bs-body-bg);
      /* background: var(--bs-body-navbar); */
      border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
    }
    

    THREAD ON

    /* Start of threaded CSS rules */
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event,
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"],
    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post"].threaded {
      border-left: none;
      transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
      /* background: var(--bs-body-bg); */
      background: var(--bs-body-navbar);
      border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
    }
    

    Same things for other modif like border radius

    @DownPW Try now.

  • 🙂

    One or 2 classes are missing in Thread ON mode but this is the logic I want.

    What have you done that I can understand and modify?

  • 🙂

    One or 2 classes are missing in Thread ON mode but this is the logic I want.

    What have you done that I can understand and modify?

    @DownPW Good…

    Added

      li.pt-4.threaded {
        background: var(--bs-body-navbar) !important;
    }
    

    Modified

      .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event,
      .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"],
      .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post"] {
        border-left: none;
        transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
        background: var(--bs-body-bg); 
        border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
      }
    
  • hmm Ok
    For once I don’t understand the logic 🙂

    Just one thing I have added befor one Thread ON mode :

    image.png
    image.png


Related Topics
  • Forum customisation

    Customisation nodebb forum customised
    11
    2
    6 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    Thank you Mark, the changes look fantastic!!
  • Test of youtube embeds

    Solved Configure nodebb
    14
    11 Votes
    14 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab Perfect!!! Many thanks.
  • NodeBB Twitter / X embeds

    Let's Build It twitter script
    34
    21 Votes
    34 Posts
    15k Views
    @phenomlab said: @DownPW thanks for spotting (and fixing) this issue. I admittedly threw this together quickly for @jac some time ago, and it hasn’t had any love since. If OK with you, I’ll merge these changes into the github repository? No problem dude
  • Bug Report

    Solved Bugs nodebb bugs
    47
    1
    26 Votes
    47 Posts
    17k Views
    @crazycells Good points, thanks. I completely forgot that classes are added - makes life much simpler! EDIT - seems this is pretty straightforward, and only needs the below CSS .upvoted i { color: var(--bs-user-level) !important; } This then yields [image: 1718028529465-3f072f8a-ebfa-4910-8723-73c493b8e4eb-image.png] However, the caveat here is that the .upvoted class will only show for your upvotes, and nobody else’s. However, this does satisfy the original request however I would love to see my upvoted posts more clearly, because currently, when I upvote, nothing on the post tool is changing, it would be nicer if there is an indication that I have upvoted (like a filled or colored triangle?)
  • 15 Votes
    51 Posts
    24k Views
    Oh yes, that’s what’s super cool, I learn something every day. Afterwards I start from so low in JS
  • 2 Votes
    2 Posts
    888 Views
    @dave1904 that’s a really good point actually. I know it was there previously on Persona, but you’re right - no such function exists on harmony. However, putting something in place to mimick the behaviour of Persona won’t be hard from the js standpoint, although I wonder if perhaps we should ask the NodeBB developers is this feature was overlooked?
  • 36 Votes
    55 Posts
    27k Views
    @DownPW I see why. The code relies on the existence of [component="topic/quickreply/container"] However, this by definition means that the below has to be enabled [image: 1679077966615-aeef638f-4188-489d-a9f2-f3a26dbca9d8-image.png] It will then work [image: 1679077992245-7fb38631-e0f3-46ef-b652-00929d927b13-image.png] For some unknown reason, this is hidden in Harmony, and only shows if you select it. In v2, it seems that the <section> is deleted altogether in Persona if “Quick Reply” is disabled, meaning it won’t fire as it can’t locate that specific component. The downside is that you might not want the quick reply function, but I think it’s a PITA to scroll up to the top of the post just to reply, so I have it on
  • [NodeBB] username cards

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    8
    5 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab Aha…nice to know. As always thank you for the reply and information.