Skip to content

Threaded post support for NodeBB

Let's Build It
146 5 104.1k 1
  • After test, seems to be good with add this in JS function in if and else :

    $('[component="topic/quickreply/container"]').addClass('threaded'); //test
    
    $('[component="topic/quickreply/container"]').removeClass('threaded'); //test
    

    and this to CSS :

    [component="topic/quickreply/container"].threaded {
        z-index: -1 !important;
        position: relative;
    }
    

    Tell me if this seems correct to you @phenomlab

    @DownPW seems fine, yes. Any obvious conflict with other elements?

  • I haven’t tested everything. this is something to watch out for

  • I have the same problem for thread but this time I can’t solve it 😞

    image.png

    image.png

  • I have the same problem for thread but this time I can’t solve it 😞

    image.png

    image.png

    @DownPW Let me have a look.

  • @DownPW Let me have a look.

    @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW Let me have a look.

    Thanks Mark 🙂

    @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW seems fine, yes. Any obvious conflict with other elements?

    Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    It’s a bit the same problem as the previous bug.

    It would be more interesting to act on the dropdown menu than the other elements one by one but my attempts are not fruitful for the moment.

    We could kill one stone/two birds

  • @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW Let me have a look.

    Thanks Mark 🙂

    @phenomlab said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    @DownPW seems fine, yes. Any obvious conflict with other elements?

    Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    It’s a bit the same problem as the previous bug.

    It would be more interesting to act on the dropdown menu than the other elements one by one but my attempts are not fruitful for the moment.

    We could kill one stone/two birds

    @DownPW I see the issue. Can you please make the below CSS changes - notice the ones commented out and their replacements (which you should follow)

    .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline .timeline-event, .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component="post/placeholder"], .page-topic .topic .posts.timeline > [component=post] {
        border-left: none;
        /* transition: transform 0.3s ease !important; */
        transition: margin-left 0.3s ease, margin-right 0.3s ease !important;
        background: var(--bs-body-bg);
        border-radius: var(--bs-border-radius);
    }
    
    li[component=post].threaded {
        /* transform: translateX(-100px); */
        /* transition: transform 0.3s ease !important; */
        margin-left: -75px !important;
        transition: margin-left 0.3s ease, margin-right 0.3s ease !important;
    }
    

    My expectation is that this will still work (but using margin instead of transform), and also ensure that the reverse dropdown is not being hidden by the [component="post"] elements.

    When you use transform on an element, a new stacking order is created for it. As you are transforming a parent which doesn’t have z-index of it’s own, a new stacking order for itself and child elements is created. As a result, the child element with z-index remains below the [component="post"] elements.

    If you want to see this in action before applying the CSS, you can remove translateX(-100px) from the li[component=post].threaded class and then try the dropdown menu again. You’ll notice it appears correctly this time, although the content is not being shifted because the translate has been removed.

    We replace it with margin which is slightly less performant when it comes to animation, but the nature of NodeBB is to lazyload posts, therefore, this negates the overall impact to the DOM.

    Let me know if this works.

  • Thats work. Many thanks for resolve
    Thanks for the information, I understand better.

    Would have a working solution other than mine for this :

  • Thats work. Many thanks for resolve
    Thanks for the information, I understand better.

    Would have a working solution other than mine for this :

    @DownPW is that still an issue? I can’t replicate that on your dev site?

    aef70b6b-f702-4a8e-9bab-c0bfd8a34628-image.png

  • Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    cache maybe. I have delete the bugfix because not bug fix 🙂

    image.png

  • Besides, my solution above is only partial. It turns out that sometimes I can no longer click to reply to the post via quick Reply. Nothing happens when I click to enter text

    cache maybe. I have delete the bugfix because not bug fix 🙂

    image.png

    @DownPW said in Threading support for NodeBB:

    cache maybe. I have delete the bugfix because not bug fix

    Yes, I can’t reproduce this.

  • I mean bug is present but my bug fix don’t work properly.

    test to delete my cache and tell you

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab referenced this topic on
  • @phenomlab not cache 😞

  • @DownPW PM me the link to the post.

  • actually, I noticed that it’s not on all the posts.
    it seems that these are the posts where the last response is that of the user (selfpost)

    DONE

  • actually, I noticed that it’s not on all the posts.
    it seems that these are the posts where the last response is that of the user (selfpost)

    DONE

    @DownPW I’ll have a look at this later

  • no problem.
    I have resolve this bug with change/replace this CSS CODE (I have just delete transform directive) :

    li.pt-4.self-post:not(.self-post .topic-owner-post).threaded {
       /*transform: translateX(0px) !important;*/
       transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
       background: var(--bs-body-bg);
       background: var(--bs-body-navbar)!important;
       padding-right: 30px;
       margin-left: 0rem;
       padding-bottom: 0rem !important;
     }
    

    I don’t know if is a goodfix or not.

  • no problem.
    I have resolve this bug with change/replace this CSS CODE (I have just delete transform directive) :

    li.pt-4.self-post:not(.self-post .topic-owner-post).threaded {
       /*transform: translateX(0px) !important;*/
       transition: transform 0.3s ease !important;
       background: var(--bs-body-bg);
       background: var(--bs-body-navbar)!important;
       padding-right: 30px;
       margin-left: 0rem;
       padding-bottom: 0rem !important;
     }
    

    I don’t know if is a goodfix or not.

    @DownPW yes, was just typing that!

  • ha ha 🙂

  • Quick note here for anyone who is using the Threaded Posts code and has recently upgraded to 3.7.0 - only to find the threaded posts is now broken 💔

    This is being caused by the HTML structure changes that 3.7.0 makes in the DOM, meaning the element we used to target pre this release no longer exists. To resolve this, locate the line (within the threaded JS function)

    $('.topic .sticky-tools ul.list-unstyled').append(threadView);
    

    And replace it with

    $('.topic .sticky-tools .thread-tools').append(threadView);
    

    That should make it re-appear.

  • Mark hi,
    I dont have this code in my js functions.


Related Topics
  • NodeBB Twitter / X embeds

    Let's Build It twitter script
    34
    21 Votes
    34 Posts
    15k Views
    @phenomlab said: @DownPW thanks for spotting (and fixing) this issue. I admittedly threw this together quickly for @jac some time ago, and it hasn’t had any love since. If OK with you, I’ll merge these changes into the github repository? No problem dude
  • 15 Votes
    51 Posts
    24k Views
    Oh yes, that’s what’s super cool, I learn something every day. Afterwards I start from so low in JS
  • Threaded chat support for NodeBB

    Let's Build It threaded chat code
    35
    1
    19 Votes
    35 Posts
    15k Views
    @DownPW said in Threaded chat support for NodeBB: Better like this : add shadow and border-left on self answer Of course - you style to your own requirements and taste I’ll commit that CSS we discussed yesterday also
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • Difficult to move posts now, on mobile.

    Bugs nodebb
    16
    1
    5 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW Yes, it is. It’s set far too low meaning other elements with a higher preference will sit over the top of it.
  • Where are widgets stored?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab Thanks, have DMed you
  • 21 Votes
    110 Posts
    50k Views
    @crazycells said in Setup OGProxy for use in NodeBB: are they cached for each user separately? No. It’s a shared cache @crazycells said in Setup OGProxy for use in NodeBB: additionally, this is also handling youtube videos etc, right? No. This is handled by nodebb-plugin-ns-embed
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @downpw I’m inclined to agree with this. There isn’t much else you can do, and provided it works with no odd looking artefacts in other browsers, then ok. The :before and :after are pseudo classes and very well supported across all browsers (except perhaps Internet Exploder, but who uses that these days ?)