Skip to content

Why CSS acts different in Desktop?

Bugs
11 3 3.4k 1
  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

  • Disclaimer, I’m not a CSS fan. But others on this site are more CSS aware, so I ask this general question.
    The Admin side panel on NodeBB vanishes in Desktop mode on mobile. What could be happening to cause that?

    Its an issue Ive raised on NodeBB site a few times now but its one of those topics that has been ignored.
    I thought if I could propose why this is happening, it might help get a fix.
    I dont see why it would be so different. Admin side panel works on Desktop, and on mobile (mobile view), so why not mobile (Desktop view)?

    @Panda What theme are you using? I’m not familiar with a side panel in the admin console. Can you provide a screenshot?

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

  • It happens in all themes, if you go into Admin, then click the top left menu (3 lines button) the side panel extends out but is blank

    Screenshot_20230622_174252_Chrome.jpg

    @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

  • @Panda Sorry - understood now - but why would you want to use Desktop Mode on a mobile ?

    @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda You make some good points here - I too often need to make changes on the move, but just “accepted” thaty some things (like widgets) can’t be manipulated on mobile devices.

    WordPress has always been like that incidentally.

  • @phenomlab
    2 situations-
    i) as my tablet defaults to it
    ii) some things cant be altered in Admin, on mobile in mobile view 😞

    That aside, why should panel be blanks just because of the browser view?
    Its quite an annoying bug, if you ever need to do any admining on the move!

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    @Panda said in Why CSS acts different in Desktop?:

    Out of interest, can you replicate this bug? Im wondering if it happens on iPhones too, I only have Android

    Yes, I am able to replicate on Android, but on an iPhone, it behaves differently in the sense that you request the desktop site, but it simply defaults to mobile.

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

  • Yep better to use ACP on Desktop. Not a bug., It is not made to be used on Mobile

    @DownPW it works for the most part, but anything that utilizes drag and drop like widgets is a non starter.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

  • Yes sure, in landscape mode, it’s manageable but I think it’s more of a bonus than anything else.

    @DownPW I’d have to agree with that.


Related Topics
  • Whitespace fixes in Nodebb

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    18
    2
    7 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    @Panda Just circling back here with something of an update (which I think you’ll like). I’ve completely restructured the ranking system. There are now less ranks, with a higher point threshold to reach them. More importantly, if you reload the site, you’ll notice that the ranks are now icons. I also removed the “Author” badge, and made this a single icon, which (to me) looks much better.
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • Smart Widgets

    Solved Configure nodebb
    9
    3 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    @Panda said in Smart Widgets: So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object? It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train
  • NodeBB: The global Search option

    Solved Configure search nodebb
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    @mventures Yes, exactly. The other icon will restart NodeBB whilst the first icon I referenced will rebuild (recompile) it. The huge strength of NodeBB over Flarum (for example) is that the code is precompiled, and called once at boot. PHP’s code has to repeatedly reload code from source making it much slower.
  • 11 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    @dave1904 excellent news. Thanks for the feedback
  • Bootstrap Version

    Solved Customisation nodebb bootstrap
    8
    5 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab That will be nice once they have completed that. It will be interesting to see how long that takes. So for now I will use custom css to make it look the way I want. Frameworks just make things a little faster. Thanks @phenomlab
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @qwinter this particular site uses the code I wrote if you want to see it in action. It’s a information and intelligence gatherer I designed for collecting various information security articles from around the globe and consolidating them in one place. Essentially, each “post” is in fact generated by the script, and the NodeBB API. https://hostrisk.com/
  • Adjusting the size of boxes in posts-list class

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    3
    3 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab thanks a lot, this combination works best .posts-list .posts-list-item .content { overflow: auto; max-height: 600px; }