Skip to content

Composer options on nodebb

Solved Configure
8 2 2.3k 1
  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

    @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

  • @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

    @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

    @Panda Here you go

    6e2191b0-c777-459a-82e8-cf14840c7f9c-image.png

  • Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

    @Panda You should be able to expose the CSS for these using F12 to get into console

    3591518c-e3a3-4ada-a43c-6b32a5e0359c-image.png

    a2b8ed46-4157-4ff2-85f0-576543380107-image.png

    That should then expose the element once selected

    89d9c545-a47a-40d1-98f4-80cf3b958e8f-image.png

    Here’s the below CSS you need based on the screenshot provided.

    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="picture-o"], .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="spoiler"] {
        display: none;
    }
    

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Spam spam spam

    Solved Configure nodebb
    6
    2 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda said in Spam spam spam: ok, yes Ive seen the queue, it shows IP, but doesnt have a field for comments from registrant. It’s not designed for that. It merely serves as a gateway between posts appearing on your form or not. @Panda said in Spam spam spam: It would be better if nodebb had this plugin included in ACP list, as not only then do you know its approved and should work, but many people cant or dont want to use CLI on the server That’s a question for the NodeBB devs but in all honesty you can’t not use the CLI when installing nodebb so to be this isn’t a big deal.
  • Nodebb 3.2.0

    Bugs nodebb nodebb 3.2.0
    20
    1
    2 Votes
    20 Posts
    6k Views
    @crazycells yes, I’m aware of that. Need to fix EDIT- fixed. Caused by the same CSS that is used to absolutely position the “verified” group badge in the posts view. Amended this CSS so that is specifically targets the post stream as below li[component="post"] a[href*="/groups/verified"] { position: absolute !important; left: 8px; z-index: 2; margin-top: 1px; border-radius: 999px !important; line-height: 14px; display: block; height: 22px; margin-left: 0px !important; }
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • NodeBB: Consent page

    Solved Configure nodebb consent
    16
    4 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    @DownPW I still do not see any issues.
  • NodeBB: Favicon upload issue

    Solved Configure nodebb favicon
    12
    1
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab I am on a Mac, so I used the “Option + Command + I”, and then performed the steps. It loaded my favicon! I checked on Firefox which I haven’t used before, and it showed my favicon also! That’s fantastic and thank you for the help!
  • NodeBB: Creating pages

    Solved Configure nodebb create page
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    OK, I think I have figured out how to place a link in the footer which will click to a new page.
  • Upgrade Problem from 2.8.3 to 2.8.4

    Solved Configure nodebb
    35
    1
    8 Votes
    35 Posts
    10k Views
    @cagatay No, you can ignore that.
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.