Skip to content

Composer options on nodebb

Solved Configure
8 2 2.3k 1
  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

  • I have made posts on the nodebb forum about this, but have additional question here.
    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable? in settings I only see this option

    Screenshot_20230615_102942_Chrome~2.jpg

    What option does this even do? What is it meaning by route?

    @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

  • @Panda said in Composer options on nodebb:

    The composer screen (to make posts) is a weak spot for NodeBB, horrible array of icons which confuse new users. Picture upload is particularly confusing.
    Is the icon list bar configurable?

    I think it is, but you need a function or a plugin to change it. What most people do is target the buttons they do not not need or want in CSS and hide them. I agree with the picture upload - there are two actually - one for pictures themselves which is obvious, and one for files.

    in settings I only see this option

    All this setting does is allow the composer to start in a new window independently and not part of the current form.

    @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab there are 3 icons actually that can be confused for upload image, the first is upload pic by url. This confuses people as it uses the conventional pic icon that people associate with uploading an image.
    So how using CSS (uggghh) can I stop that one showing in the composer iconbar?

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

  • @phenomlab
    Ok thanks, so I assume I add something like this to custom css

    /* removing buttons from composer */
    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="????"] {
      display: none;
    }
    

    How can i find out what ??? = for url pic, if thats one I want to disable ?
    Where are these icon names defined

    @Panda Here you go

    6e2191b0-c777-459a-82e8-cf14840c7f9c-image.png

  • Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on
  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

  • Back with another question, as although you gave me the list, I cant workout which ids are:
    orangle circled (for thumbnail)
    Purple circled (dont know what)
    IMG_20230615_143459_129.jpg

    Im trying to get as many removed so that pic upload appears without needing to scroll!

    @Panda You should be able to expose the CSS for these using F12 to get into console

    3591518c-e3a3-4ada-a43c-6b32a5e0359c-image.png

    a2b8ed46-4157-4ff2-85f0-576543380107-image.png

    That should then expose the element once selected

    89d9c545-a47a-40d1-98f4-80cf3b958e8f-image.png

    Here’s the below CSS you need based on the screenshot provided.

    .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="picture-o"], .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="spoiler"] {
        display: none;
    }
    

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Fixed background to nodebb forum

    Solved Configure nodebb
    25
    4 Votes
    25 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda said in Fixed background to nodebb forum: Chatgpt told me the ::before method. Go figure
  • 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    825 Views
    No one has replied
  • Email validation NodeBB

    Bugs nodebb
    21
    3 Votes
    21 Posts
    9k Views
    @Panda said in Email validation NodeBB: Did you configure that as a custom change to the usual quote icon. How do you do that? I notice on NodeBB site its a solid blue quotes Yes, I changed it. NodeBB by default users the free font awesome library whereas I use the pro (paid) version SDK have access to a wider set of icons, and at different thicknesses etc. The change of colour is just simple CSS.
  • nodebb loading emojis

    Solved Configure nodebb emojis
    16
    1
    1 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW sure. Let me have a look at this in more detail. I know nginx plus has extensive support for this, but it’s not impossible to get somewhere near acceptable with the standard version. You might be better off handling this at the Cloudflare level given that it sits in between the requesting client and your server.
  • Gettin Erors NodeBB

    Solved Configure nodebb eror
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab no forum is working goods. there is no eror message since yestarday.
  • Podcast Share NodeBB

    Solved Configure podcast nodebb
    15
    4 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay You could experiment with nodebb-plugin-ns-embed but I expect the x-origin tag on the remote site to prevent playback.
  • Rotating homepage icons, gifs?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    2
    3 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @eveh It’s not a GIF, no. It’s actually a webp file so made much smaller, and uses keyframes to control the rotation on hover. You can easily make your own though The CSS for that is as below @keyframes rotate180 { from { transform: rotate(0deg); } to { transform: rotate(180deg); } } @keyframes rotate0 { from { transform: rotate(180deg); } to { transform: rotate(0deg); } } Your milage may vary on the CSS below, as it’s custom for Sudonix, but this is the class that is used to control the rotate .header .forum-logo, img.forum-logo.head { max-height: 50px; width: auto; height: 30px; margin-top: 9px; max-width: 150px; min-width: 32px; display: inline-block; animation-name: rotate180, rotate0; animation-duration: 1000ms; animation-delay: 0s, 1000ms; animation-iteration-count: 1; animation-timing-function: linear; transition: transform 1000ms ease-in-out; }
  • NodeBB 1.19.3

    Solved Performance nodebb 1.19.3 performance
    33
    4 Votes
    33 Posts
    15k Views
    @phenomlab I find the problem Mark The error message indicated this path : http://localhost:4567/assets/plugins/nodebb-plugin-emoji/emoji/styles.css?v=6983dobg16u I change the path url on config.json [image: 1645128773854-47bacc80-f141-41e4-a261-3f8d650cc6f6-image.png] And all it’s good Weird, I didn’t have to change that path before 1.19.3 But this does not prevent the problem from a clean install with Emoji Plugin EDIT: After test, that resolv the problem installation for 1.18.x but not for 1.19.x (I have other error message when I run ./nodebb Setup For resume: NodeJS 16_x with 1.18.x is ok