Skip to content

Custom badges

Solved Customisation
103 4 52.3k 2
  • @phenomlab

    Thank you very much for the code.

    In my case, I would like to display the group labels after the user level label because as it is it’s not very nice

    Same for Author Badge

    6e43f17a-ed43-451c-b68f-4f3a5bc71078-image.png

    @DownPW and @crazycells could you let me have URL’s where I can see examples of what you’ve posted?

  • @DownPW and @crazycells could you let me have URL’s where I can see examples of what you’ve posted?

    @phenomlab Prod server

  • @DownPW Something like this?

    879aa7c9-5e97-4c5f-bb82-014524653254-image.png

    CSS modifications

    .topic-owner-post [itemprop="author"] {
        float: left;
    }
    // Add these to (or edit) the existing classes you have
    .user-level-topic {
        float: none;
    }
    .group-label {
        margin-top: -1px;
    }
    .topic-owner-post [itemprop="author"]:after {
        margin-top: 1px;
        height: 18px;
    }
    
  • @DownPW Something like this?

    879aa7c9-5e97-4c5f-bb82-014524653254-image.png

    CSS modifications

    .topic-owner-post [itemprop="author"] {
        float: left;
    }
    // Add these to (or edit) the existing classes you have
    .user-level-topic {
        float: none;
    }
    .group-label {
        margin-top: -1px;
    }
    .topic-owner-post [itemprop="author"]:after {
        margin-top: 1px;
        height: 18px;
    }
    

    @phenomlab

    yep but I have not the same result as you with this code :

    24bc3b0a-29a3-45f7-8e6b-bc72f6248bda-image.png

    The username is after the userlevel badge 😒

  • @phenomlab

    yep but I have not the same result as you with this code :

    24bc3b0a-29a3-45f7-8e6b-bc72f6248bda-image.png

    The username is after the userlevel badge 😒

    @DownPW Can you put the code back to what I provided? I see you are making changes

  • @DownPW Can you put the code back to what I provided? I see you are making changes

  • @DownPW Thanks. Seems I forgot this

    [itemprop="author"] {
        float: left;
    }
    

    And this which will fix the overlap on the reply label

    .topic [component="post/parent"] {
        margin-left: 15px;
    }
    
  • @DownPW Thanks. Seems I forgot this

    [itemprop="author"] {
        float: left;
    }
    

    And this which will fix the overlap on the reply label

    .topic [component="post/parent"] {
        margin-left: 15px;
    }
    

    @phenomlab Ha yes very good thanks dude 😉 You’re the best always 😉

  • Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 13.28.34.png

    actually, it looks very good (quite acceptable for our case 🙂 ), thanks for the CSS codes; however CSS codes affect other group badges too…

    group name: verified

    how can I restrict CSS codes to this group? I checked the inspector, I can only see group links, but not specific names…

    @crazycells Let’s try this

    In /forum/admin/manage/groups/verified, remove the highlighted section

    1c9e1406-d641-4e6c-8a03-e452c9462768-image.png

    We are then left with no text, but a clearer looking icon

    149c24c4-c95c-4a6e-8dc4-52340e4d0bed-image.png

    Now remove the previous CSS blocks I provided here

    Add replacement CSS

    .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] {
        margin-right: 3px;
        margin-top: 1px;
        border-radius: 50%;
        line-height: 20px;
        display: inline-block;
        vertical-align: middle;
        text-align: center;
        overflow: hidden;
    }
    small.label.group-label.inline-block i {
        margin-top: 1px;
        margin-left: 0px;
        vertical-align: middle;
        justify-content: center;
        display: flex;
    }
    .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] .group-label {
        min-width: 20px;
        display: flex;
        justify-content: center;
    }
    .group-label {
        vertical-align: -6px;
    }
    
    

    You should land up with something like this

    16a50d49-f765-46c9-a480-344a592baf13-image.png

    As you can see, this forces the stars out of alignment, but I don’t think this is too much of a sacrifice, and could be remediated with additional targeted CSS if need be.

    Essentially, because NodeBB doesn’t provide an id field (which would be a lot easier), we have to use wildcard CSS such as .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] but make it targeted in the sense that it will only fire if it is part of the post stream, hence .post-header at the beginning.

    We then use .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] .group-label to target the actual label (but only when we have a wildcard match in the CSS) meaning we can set a minimum width so that the circle doesn’t look quashed (we need to validate this on Firefox though as additional CSS might be required due to how the webkit engine will render this in contrast to mozilla).

    Finally, we use .group-label to force alignment in terms of height to prevent it wandering out of the inline-block.

    This is already active on your forum, so nothing for you to do but (hopefully) admire 🙂

    Let me know.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab referenced this topic on
  • @crazycells Let’s try this

    In /forum/admin/manage/groups/verified, remove the highlighted section

    1c9e1406-d641-4e6c-8a03-e452c9462768-image.png

    We are then left with no text, but a clearer looking icon

    149c24c4-c95c-4a6e-8dc4-52340e4d0bed-image.png

    Now remove the previous CSS blocks I provided here

    Add replacement CSS

    .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] {
        margin-right: 3px;
        margin-top: 1px;
        border-radius: 50%;
        line-height: 20px;
        display: inline-block;
        vertical-align: middle;
        text-align: center;
        overflow: hidden;
    }
    small.label.group-label.inline-block i {
        margin-top: 1px;
        margin-left: 0px;
        vertical-align: middle;
        justify-content: center;
        display: flex;
    }
    .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] .group-label {
        min-width: 20px;
        display: flex;
        justify-content: center;
    }
    .group-label {
        vertical-align: -6px;
    }
    
    

    You should land up with something like this

    16a50d49-f765-46c9-a480-344a592baf13-image.png

    As you can see, this forces the stars out of alignment, but I don’t think this is too much of a sacrifice, and could be remediated with additional targeted CSS if need be.

    Essentially, because NodeBB doesn’t provide an id field (which would be a lot easier), we have to use wildcard CSS such as .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] but make it targeted in the sense that it will only fire if it is part of the post stream, hence .post-header at the beginning.

    We then use .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] .group-label to target the actual label (but only when we have a wildcard match in the CSS) meaning we can set a minimum width so that the circle doesn’t look quashed (we need to validate this on Firefox though as additional CSS might be required due to how the webkit engine will render this in contrast to mozilla).

    Finally, we use .group-label to force alignment in terms of height to prevent it wandering out of the inline-block.

    This is already active on your forum, so nothing for you to do but (hopefully) admire 🙂

    Let me know.

    @phenomlab

    Just one things my friend.

    I search a css class for display groupname on group icons mouse over but don’t find it.
    if you have that in your hat I’m a taker 😉

  • @phenomlab

    Just one things my friend.

    I search a css class for display groupname on group icons mouse over but don’t find it.
    if you have that in your hat I’m a taker 😉

    @DownPW Mmmmm, yes, the fastest way to do that would be to use the title attribute. Bootstrap has native support for that

    8e9af7a4-b69c-4573-93cb-72dce2d8bcf3-image.png

    If you added this attribute then hovered over the element, you’d see this

    4cd5440b-649f-4817-be85-08ff54a8859b-image.png

    It’s possible to write jQuery to handle this - aside from that, you’d need to hack into the post template which I wouldn’t recommend. There isn’t any native CSS that will do this for you sadly, so the title="" attribute is the best way forward but won’t do anything without custom JS.

    EDIT - I actually have a requirement for this myself, so will probably write some code to do it over the coming days/weeks (really depending on how much free time I have).

  • @crazycells Let’s try this

    In /forum/admin/manage/groups/verified, remove the highlighted section

    1c9e1406-d641-4e6c-8a03-e452c9462768-image.png

    We are then left with no text, but a clearer looking icon

    149c24c4-c95c-4a6e-8dc4-52340e4d0bed-image.png

    Now remove the previous CSS blocks I provided here

    Add replacement CSS

    .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] {
        margin-right: 3px;
        margin-top: 1px;
        border-radius: 50%;
        line-height: 20px;
        display: inline-block;
        vertical-align: middle;
        text-align: center;
        overflow: hidden;
    }
    small.label.group-label.inline-block i {
        margin-top: 1px;
        margin-left: 0px;
        vertical-align: middle;
        justify-content: center;
        display: flex;
    }
    .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] .group-label {
        min-width: 20px;
        display: flex;
        justify-content: center;
    }
    .group-label {
        vertical-align: -6px;
    }
    
    

    You should land up with something like this

    16a50d49-f765-46c9-a480-344a592baf13-image.png

    As you can see, this forces the stars out of alignment, but I don’t think this is too much of a sacrifice, and could be remediated with additional targeted CSS if need be.

    Essentially, because NodeBB doesn’t provide an id field (which would be a lot easier), we have to use wildcard CSS such as .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] but make it targeted in the sense that it will only fire if it is part of the post stream, hence .post-header at the beginning.

    We then use .post-header a[href*="/forum/groups/verified"] .group-label to target the actual label (but only when we have a wildcard match in the CSS) meaning we can set a minimum width so that the circle doesn’t look quashed (we need to validate this on Firefox though as additional CSS might be required due to how the webkit engine will render this in contrast to mozilla).

    Finally, we use .group-label to force alignment in terms of height to prevent it wandering out of the inline-block.

    This is already active on your forum, so nothing for you to do but (hopefully) admire 🙂

    Let me know.

    @phenomlab thank you very much 🙂 it looks great!

  • crazycellsundefined crazycells has marked this topic as solved on
  • @DownPW Mmmmm, yes, the fastest way to do that would be to use the title attribute. Bootstrap has native support for that

    8e9af7a4-b69c-4573-93cb-72dce2d8bcf3-image.png

    If you added this attribute then hovered over the element, you’d see this

    4cd5440b-649f-4817-be85-08ff54a8859b-image.png

    It’s possible to write jQuery to handle this - aside from that, you’d need to hack into the post template which I wouldn’t recommend. There isn’t any native CSS that will do this for you sadly, so the title="" attribute is the best way forward but won’t do anything without custom JS.

    EDIT - I actually have a requirement for this myself, so will probably write some code to do it over the coming days/weeks (really depending on how much free time I have).

    @phenomlab said in Custom badges:

    It’s possible to write jQuery to handle this - aside from that, you’d need to hack into the post template which I wouldn’t recommend. There isn’t any native CSS that will do this for you sadly, so the title=“” attribute is the best way forward but won’t do anything without custom JS.
    EDIT - I actually have a requirement for this myself, so will probably write some code to do it over the coming days/weeks (really depending on how much free time I have).

    very clever the addition of this “Title=” attribute, I would not have thought of it myself !! Cheer !!

    This is exactly the result I’m looking for !
    I don’t even know why, I’m not amazed at your prowess anymore 🙂

    Excellent 😉

  • @phenomlab thank you very much 🙂 it looks great!

    @phenomlab lol verified badge changed here as well 🙂

    is there an easy CSS code to make it look more like a flower, rather than perfectly round? (just like the Twitter one)

  • @phenomlab lol verified badge changed here as well 🙂

    is there an easy CSS code to make it look more like a flower, rather than perfectly round? (just like the Twitter one)

    @crazycells it’s possible, but would be very complex. Much less hassle to use either a direct image (which probably won’t look very good on scale) or use this SVG from Font Awesome which appears to be free 👍

    https://fontawesomeicons.com/svg/icons/twitter-verified-badge

  • @crazycells it’s possible, but would be very complex. Much less hassle to use either a direct image (which probably won’t look very good on scale) or use this SVG from Font Awesome which appears to be free 👍

    https://fontawesomeicons.com/svg/icons/twitter-verified-badge

    @phenomlab thanks.

  • @crazycells it’s possible, but would be very complex. Much less hassle to use either a direct image (which probably won’t look very good on scale) or use this SVG from Font Awesome which appears to be free 👍

    https://fontawesomeicons.com/svg/icons/twitter-verified-badge

    @phenomlab since both admin and global moderator badges are close to purple/maroon color, you can change one to green (which I believe was the verified badge color)

  • @phenomlab since both admin and global moderator badges are close to purple/maroon color, you can change one to green (which I believe was the verified badge color)

    @crazycells yes, I need to change that here. Was switched out on a whim.

  • @crazycells yes, I need to change that here. Was switched out on a whim.

    @crazycells @DownPW something of a “fresher” approach. Have a look at the below

    5602e864-6de6-4a09-9dd1-eb33b2807774-image.png

    Using the messenger type view I created, it then becomes possible to place the “verified” group according to the style from the same view.

    This does mean some new CSS

    .self-post a[href*="/groups/verified"] .group-label {
        position: absolute !important;
        right: 51px;
        top: 44px;
    }
    .topic-response-post a[href*="/groups/verified"] .group-label {
        position: absolute !important;
        left: 20px;
        top: 44px;
    }
    .topic-response-post i[component="user/status"] {
        position: absolute;
        left: -1px;
    }
    

    And, more importantly, I found a more efficient way of adding classes in the messenger view js. The revised code is below

    // Target those elements already loaded in the DOM
    $(document).ready(function() {
        $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function(data) {
            $('li[component="post"]').each(function(i, obj) {
                if (!$(this).hasClass('self-post') || (!$(this).hasClass('self-post'))) {
                    console.log("Adding required classes for messenger type view");
                    $(this).addClass('topic-response-post');
                }
    
            });
        });
    });
    // Target elements dynamically added to the DOM on post load
    $(document).ready(function() {
        $(window).on('action:ajaxify.loaded', function(data) {
            $('li[component="post"]').each(function(i, obj) {
                if (!$(this).hasClass('self-post') || (!$(this).hasClass('self-post'))) {
                    console.log("Adding required classes for messenger type view");
                    $(this).addClass('topic-response-post');
                }
    
            });
        });
    });
    
  • @crazycells @DownPW something of a “fresher” approach. Have a look at the below

    5602e864-6de6-4a09-9dd1-eb33b2807774-image.png

    Using the messenger type view I created, it then becomes possible to place the “verified” group according to the style from the same view.

    This does mean some new CSS

    .self-post a[href*="/groups/verified"] .group-label {
        position: absolute !important;
        right: 51px;
        top: 44px;
    }
    .topic-response-post a[href*="/groups/verified"] .group-label {
        position: absolute !important;
        left: 20px;
        top: 44px;
    }
    .topic-response-post i[component="user/status"] {
        position: absolute;
        left: -1px;
    }
    

    And, more importantly, I found a more efficient way of adding classes in the messenger view js. The revised code is below

    // Target those elements already loaded in the DOM
    $(document).ready(function() {
        $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function(data) {
            $('li[component="post"]').each(function(i, obj) {
                if (!$(this).hasClass('self-post') || (!$(this).hasClass('self-post'))) {
                    console.log("Adding required classes for messenger type view");
                    $(this).addClass('topic-response-post');
                }
    
            });
        });
    });
    // Target elements dynamically added to the DOM on post load
    $(document).ready(function() {
        $(window).on('action:ajaxify.loaded', function(data) {
            $('li[component="post"]').each(function(i, obj) {
                if (!$(this).hasClass('self-post') || (!$(this).hasClass('self-post'))) {
                    console.log("Adding required classes for messenger type view");
                    $(this).addClass('topic-response-post');
                }
    
            });
        });
    });
    

    @phenomlab this looks cooler than usual badges 👍 thanks for the codes…

    but, I believe it should be located slightly lower since there is already a status circle that is taking some space from the avatar, and now this is taking more 🙂 it feels like you are conversing with someone that has sunglasses, a scarf, and a hat 😄 I prefer to see their faces more clearly (well, in this case avatar 😄 )


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Nodebb to Xenforo

    Solved Configure xenforo nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @cagatay as @downpw stated, there isn’t a native tool that will do this for you. You’d need to either develop your own or ask the nodebb team to assist which will be a paid exercise.
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • Want to use Sudonix themes ?

    Chitchat themes nodebb
    80
    1
    34 Votes
    80 Posts
    27k Views
    omg thank you Mark.
  • How to downgrade plugin version on NodeBB

    Solved Customisation downgrade nodebb
    11
    3 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay no problems
  • Recent Cards plugin customization

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    21
    1
    13 Votes
    21 Posts
    11k Views
    @pobojmoks that’s easily done by modifying the code provided here so that it targets background rather than border In essence, the below should work $(document).ready(function() { $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function(data) { $('.recent-card-container').each(function(i) { var dataId = $(this).attr("data-cid"); var color = $('[role="presentation"]', this).css("background-color"); console.log("data-cid " + dataId + " is " + color); $('[data-cid="' + dataId + '"] .recent-card').attr("style", "background-color: " + color); }); }); });
  • [NODEBB] Welcome Message

    Solved Customisation css html nodebb
    20
    2
    13 Votes
    20 Posts
    8k Views
    @DownPW the ‘js’ code for the banner takes the time from the client, so what it displays really depends on the regional settings for the operating system. I’ve not seen this issue myself but would like to see some examples of screenshots if possible.
  • nodebb dropdown menu

    Solved Configure nodebb
    5
    1
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in nodebb dropdown menu: @kurulumu-net You set it like the below example taken from this site [image: 1637939951821-aae36790-3257-4bb2-ad5a-0d744309876a-image.png] Which presents this [image: 1637939983445-77f47260-2941-4afe-9614-8e17dcfc8c19-image.png] Very interesting… I actually thought this wasn’t possible, as I remember it being asked in the NodeBB forum. Is this something new that’s been implemented? I’ll 100% be doing that when I’m on the laptop over the weekend.
  • nodebb-plugin-customize error

    Solved Customisation
    25
    2 Votes
    25 Posts
    15k Views
    @phenomlab it work, thanks