Skip to content

Nodebb vs Wordpress vs Other

General
4 3 1.3k 1
  • So I have started a Bible Repair/Rebinding business. I repair Bibles and then rebind them with genuine leather. I can also repair other kinds of books and such as well. I am at some point after I break even, wanting to make a website for my business. I know I can use Wordpress + WooCommerce for an instant get up and running solution. I am kind of tired of the Wordpress environment because it is so locked in and most of the plugins you need to pay for, which is understandable even if I find ways or uses for them where you can just use the free portion to get done with what you want.

    I was thinking of looking into Nodebb with an eCommerce open source software to integrate into Nodebb. I am curious what other’s recommendations are and ideas in regard to this. Do I stick with what is fast and easy to setup like the Wordpress way or go the Nodebb + whichever open source would work best with it way?

    I know there are stuff out there like shopify and those types of platforms, but I have heard many stories that as you grow the more plugins and such that you need and the cost goes up with it and you are locked into their proprietary setup and such.

    Thank you all for all the input! I appreciate it!!

  • So I have started a Bible Repair/Rebinding business. I repair Bibles and then rebind them with genuine leather. I can also repair other kinds of books and such as well. I am at some point after I break even, wanting to make a website for my business. I know I can use Wordpress + WooCommerce for an instant get up and running solution. I am kind of tired of the Wordpress environment because it is so locked in and most of the plugins you need to pay for, which is understandable even if I find ways or uses for them where you can just use the free portion to get done with what you want.

    I was thinking of looking into Nodebb with an eCommerce open source software to integrate into Nodebb. I am curious what other’s recommendations are and ideas in regard to this. Do I stick with what is fast and easy to setup like the Wordpress way or go the Nodebb + whichever open source would work best with it way?

    I know there are stuff out there like shopify and those types of platforms, but I have heard many stories that as you grow the more plugins and such that you need and the cost goes up with it and you are locked into their proprietary setup and such.

    Thank you all for all the input! I appreciate it!!

    @Madchatthew I think it really depends on the specific business model - for example, if you are selling directly via the site, then WordPress and Woocommerce make much more sense than NodeBB will owing to the complexity, and available components.

    I love the idea of this business, and it’s a skill that not many people have these days.

    If it were me, I’d go WordPress/Woocommerce, and then perhaps use NodeBB for a community around the product being sold. NodeBB currently doesn’t lean itself very well towards selling, unless you are offering subscriptions. Here, you are selling manufactured and essentially bespoke service, which would instantly lend itself to more established products.

  • @Madchatthew I think it really depends on the specific business model - for example, if you are selling directly via the site, then WordPress and Woocommerce make much more sense than NodeBB will owing to the complexity, and available components.

    I love the idea of this business, and it’s a skill that not many people have these days.

    If it were me, I’d go WordPress/Woocommerce, and then perhaps use NodeBB for a community around the product being sold. NodeBB currently doesn’t lean itself very well towards selling, unless you are offering subscriptions. Here, you are selling manufactured and essentially bespoke service, which would instantly lend itself to more established products.

    @phenomlab this makes a lot of sense and I could maybe see having a community on the website, where as you are saying Nodebb could come into play and possibly move the facebook business page to in the future or slowly over time. Then in the meantime use the tools that are already made for selling and featuring products and such.

    This makes a lot sense. I like to ask though in case there is anything I am missing.


Related Topics
  • What’s going on with NodeBB?

    Performance nodebb script die
    20
    8 Votes
    20 Posts
    5k Views
    @cagatay The most reliable way to upgrade Node.js on Ubuntu depends on how you originally installed it. Method 1: Using NVM (Recommended) If you already use Node Version Manager (NVM), upgrading is simple. NVM allows you to keep both versions and switch between them if needed. Install Node 22: nvm install 22 Switch to Node 22: nvm use 22 Set it as your default: nvm alias default 22 Verify the change: node -v Method 2: Using NodeSource (PPA) If you installed Node.js via apt using the NodeSource repository, you need to update the repository script to point to the new version. Remove the old NodeSource list (optional but cleaner): sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list Download and run the NodeSource setup script for Node 22: curl -fsSL [https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x](https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_22.x) | sudo -E bash - Install/Upgrade Node.js: sudo apt-get install -y nodejs Verify the installation: node -v Method 3: Using the ‘n’ Package If you have npm installed, you can use the n interactive manager. Clear the npm cache: sudo npm cache clean -f Install the ‘n’ helper: sudo npm install -g n Install Node 22: sudo n 22 Update your shell: hash -r Troubleshooting Permission Denied: If you see permission errors using Method 2 or 3, ensure you are using sudo. Path Issues: If node -v still shows version 20 after upgrading via NVM, restart your terminal or run source ~/.bashrc. Conflicts: Avoid mixing these methods. If you switch from apt to nvm, it is best to sudo apt remove nodejs first to avoid path conflicts.
  • Nodebb design

    Solved General nodebb
    2
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    @Panda said in Nodebb design: One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum. From recollection, Google and Bing have the capability to read and process JS, although it’s not in the same manner as a physical person will consume content on a page. It will be seen as plain text, but will be indexed. However, it’s important to note that Yandex and Baidu will not render JS, although seeing as Google has a 90% share of the content available on the web in terms of indexing, this isn’t something you’ll likely lose sleep over. @Panda said in Nodebb design: The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions. This is mostly based around overall security - you won’t typically want a client machine changing database elements or altering data. This is why you have “client-side” which could be DOM manipulation etc, and “server-side” which performs more complex operations as it can communicate directly with the database whereas the client cannot (and if it can, then you have a serious security flaw). Reading from the API is perfectly acceptable on the client-side, but not being able to write. A paradigm here would be something like SNMP. This protocol exists as a UDP (UDP is very efficient, as it is “fire and forget” and does not wait for a response like TCP does) based service which reads performance data from a remote source, thus enabling an application to parse that data for use in a monitoring application. In all cases, SNMP access should be “RO” (Read Only) and not RW (Read Write). It is completely feasible to assume complete control over a firewall for example by having RW access to SNMP and then exposing it to the entire internet with a weak passphrase. You wouldn’t do it (at least, I hope you wouldn’t) and the same ethic applies to server-side rendering and the execution of commands.
  • Modify the tagging behavior in NodeBB

    Locked General tagging harmony
    11
    3 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    For anyone else following this thread https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17402/change-in-reply-to-xxxx-text And https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/commit/f2152953cddd3247746ef393516b0a53ba7750a4
  • NodeBB v2.4.0

    Solved General nodebb version error
    3
    1
    2 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab As always…Thank you. Worked for me.
  • Bootstrap Version

    Solved Customisation nodebb bootstrap
    8
    5 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab That will be nice once they have completed that. It will be interesting to see how long that takes. So for now I will use custom css to make it look the way I want. Frameworks just make things a little faster. Thanks @phenomlab
  • WordPress site

    General wordpress
    118
    10 Votes
    118 Posts
    55k Views
    @jac said in WordPress site: It’s Wordpress OUT, and Ghost IN it seems! *preference based . Even County’s site uses Wordpress . Although that does serve it’s purpose.
  • NodeBB metadata

    Solved Configure nodebb
    4
    2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB metadata: @jac Are you sure ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&sxsrf=AOaemvLwnaZL-PliU_2dBOg_Eo1pMVhBjg%3A1638982328139&source=hp&ei=uOKwYeatBcOsad3yp7AE&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbDwyLBSDcG5XYoFCKwQFhgz94wTxOcV&ved=0ahUKEwjm6dX71NT0AhVDVhoKHV35CUYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=site%3Astockportcounty.fans&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4QgAQQsQM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6BQgAEJIDUABYySZg0CdoAHAAeACAAW2IAa0NkgEEMjMuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz Fair enough 🤪🤪.
  • NodeBB Blog Comments

    General nodebb blog
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    @kurulumu-net Not specifically, but you should review this post from the very large thread as it will save you a lot of time. There’s significant customisation on the Ghost side of things, but not in NodeBB https://community.nodebb.org/post/86022