Skip to content

CSS code customization for the link preview plugin

Solved Customisation
6 3 3.0k 1
  • Hi @phenomlab ,

    I am working on CSS codes to customize the link-preview plugin for some time, but I was unsuccessful 😄 so, I wanted to consult you in case I am missing an important line…

    Unfortunately, normal previews of this plugin are too big for our taste, just like how iframely used to be…

    https://sudonix.org/post/4083

    I ended up something like this:

    .post-container .content .card {
        display: contents !important;  
    }
    
    .link-preview {
        
        .card-img-top {
            height:120px !important;
            width: auto !important;
            overflow: hidden !important;        
            float: left !important;
            padding: 0 5px 0 0 !important;      
        }
        
        .card-body {
            padding: 1px 1px 1px 1px !important;
        }
        
        .card-footer {
            position: relative !important;    
        }
    }
    

    But this is nowhere near close to what I was aiming…

    This is how it used to be with iframely and what we are aiming:
    Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 22.04.41.png

    This is how ugly it looks right now 😄

    Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 22.02.51.png

    I hope you can help with this transformation 😄
    Thanks,

  • Hi @phenomlab ,

    I am working on CSS codes to customize the link-preview plugin for some time, but I was unsuccessful 😄 so, I wanted to consult you in case I am missing an important line…

    Unfortunately, normal previews of this plugin are too big for our taste, just like how iframely used to be…

    https://sudonix.org/post/4083

    I ended up something like this:

    .post-container .content .card {
        display: contents !important;  
    }
    
    .link-preview {
        
        .card-img-top {
            height:120px !important;
            width: auto !important;
            overflow: hidden !important;        
            float: left !important;
            padding: 0 5px 0 0 !important;      
        }
        
        .card-body {
            padding: 1px 1px 1px 1px !important;
        }
        
        .card-footer {
            position: relative !important;    
        }
    }
    

    But this is nowhere near close to what I was aiming…

    This is how it used to be with iframely and what we are aiming:
    Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 22.04.41.png

    This is how ugly it looks right now 😄

    Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 22.02.51.png

    I hope you can help with this transformation 😄
    Thanks,

    @crazycells technically possible, yes - I can get somewhere near the desired layout as below

    7b646096-5c21-44a1-b283-54d6f94e579b-image.png

    However, this isn’t great from the CSS perspective as it’s something of a hack, and will not look good on mobile devices. Here’s the CSS for that if you want to use it.

    .post-container .content .card {
        display: contents !important;  
    }
    .link-preview .card-title {
        margin-left: -238px;
        float: left;
    }
    .link-preview .card-img-top {
        height: 120px !important;
        width: auto !important;
        overflow: hidden !important;
        float: left !important;
        padding: 0 5px 0 0 !important;
        margin-top: 35px;
    }
    .link-preview .card-text {
        margin-top: 20px;
        padding-left: 15px;
    }
    .link-preview .card-footer {
        position: relative !important;
        margin-top: 70px;
    }
    .link-preview .card-body {
        padding: 1px 1px 1px 1px !important;
    }
    .link-preview .card-text {
        margin-top: 35px;
        padding-left: 15px;
    }
    
    

    The real issue with nodebb-plugin-link-preview is that it has no flexibility in terms of HTML layout meaning you have to get clever with CSS (and even then, it’s not clever at all).

    Using my OGProxy function, it would look like this by default

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17109/manual-build-a-night-mode-for-harmony

    However, because you have control over the HTML, you can simply rearrange it to suit your own needs.

  • phenomlabundefined phenomlab has marked this topic as solved on
  • @crazycells technically possible, yes - I can get somewhere near the desired layout as below

    7b646096-5c21-44a1-b283-54d6f94e579b-image.png

    However, this isn’t great from the CSS perspective as it’s something of a hack, and will not look good on mobile devices. Here’s the CSS for that if you want to use it.

    .post-container .content .card {
        display: contents !important;  
    }
    .link-preview .card-title {
        margin-left: -238px;
        float: left;
    }
    .link-preview .card-img-top {
        height: 120px !important;
        width: auto !important;
        overflow: hidden !important;
        float: left !important;
        padding: 0 5px 0 0 !important;
        margin-top: 35px;
    }
    .link-preview .card-text {
        margin-top: 20px;
        padding-left: 15px;
    }
    .link-preview .card-footer {
        position: relative !important;
        margin-top: 70px;
    }
    .link-preview .card-body {
        padding: 1px 1px 1px 1px !important;
    }
    .link-preview .card-text {
        margin-top: 35px;
        padding-left: 15px;
    }
    
    

    The real issue with nodebb-plugin-link-preview is that it has no flexibility in terms of HTML layout meaning you have to get clever with CSS (and even then, it’s not clever at all).

    Using my OGProxy function, it would look like this by default

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17109/manual-build-a-night-mode-for-harmony

    However, because you have control over the HTML, you can simply rearrange it to suit your own needs.

    @phenomlab does OGProxy show the pdf previews as well?

  • @phenomlab does OGProxy show the pdf previews as well?

    @crazycells said in CSS code customization for the link preview plugin:

    does OGProxy show the pdf previews as well?

    Not yet, but it could with a bit of additional code.

  • 5ba0d13f-0a72-4f57-97c9-aca2035b066d.jpg
    How can I remove the white space at the top? I set html and body to black in CSS, but it didn’t work. Is there another solution?

  • 5ba0d13f-0a72-4f57-97c9-aca2035b066d.jpg
    How can I remove the white space at the top? I set html and body to black in CSS, but it didn’t work. Is there another solution?

    @kadir-ay-0 marking as resolved based on

    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17109/manual-build-a-night-mode-for-harmony/5

    Please do not raise requests in two places - here and the NodeBB forums. All this does is create unnecessary load for both parties.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Planned sunset of NTFY plugin

    Pinned Announcements push nodebb ntfy
    7
    1
    8 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    I’ve noticed that I’m the only one subscribed to the push notifications on this site. If you were using NTFY previously, and have noticed that you’ve not had any alerts for a while, it’s because this feature has been disabled. You’ll now need to use the push notification to replace NTFY as mentioned in the first post.
  • CSS codes to prevent votes to disappear

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    3
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @phenomlab yes, it is thanks a lot…
  • Threaded post support for NodeBB

    Let's Build It threading nodebb
    146
    3
    50 Votes
    146 Posts
    104k Views
    Updated git for above change https://github.com/phenomlab/nodebb-harmony-threading/commit/14a4e277521d83d219065ffb14154fd5f5cfac69
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • Link Not Working

    Solved Customisation link
    5
    1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @cagatay Good question, but one that’s likely best answered by the devs themselves. Could easily be done with a simple jQuery regex but that would really just be painting over rotten wood.
  • Plugin reaction Bug

    Solved Customisation plugin nodebb reaction
    15
    1
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW That was going to be my next suggestion
  • Link vs Refresh

    Solved Customisation nodebb blog customization
    20
    2
    8 Votes
    20 Posts
    6k Views
    @pobojmoks Do you see any errors being reported in the console ? At first guess (without seeing the actual code or the site itself), I’d say that this is AJAX callback related
  • fading in /tags page

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    32
    1
    30 Votes
    32 Posts
    12k Views
    Fix working perfectly