Skip to content

Whitespace fixes in Nodebb

Solved Customisation
18 3 5.7k 1
  • This is exactly why I never really liked CSS. It can so easily go wrong on different resolution screens!
    When I wrote games, I would use Javascript on Canvas, with my own font so that everything was scaled as % of screen width and height.
    I had my own library for this. It was the only way to guarantee everything works on all devices.

    Look at this: its a mess, and Flip4 is not an uncommon device
    Screenshot_20230629_235950_Chrome~2.jpg

    What does having this extra Tag saying Author really add?
    I dont want to be critical, but it might be better to have the user group badges as shorter names, then that would reduce overlaps?

  • This is exactly why I never really liked CSS. It can so easily go wrong on different resolution screens!
    When I wrote games, I would use Javascript on Canvas, with my own font so that everything was scaled as % of screen width and height.
    I had my own library for this. It was the only way to guarantee everything works on all devices.

    Look at this: its a mess, and Flip4 is not an uncommon device
    Screenshot_20230629_235950_Chrome~2.jpg

    What does having this extra Tag saying Author really add?
    I dont want to be critical, but it might be better to have the user group badges as shorter names, then that would reduce overlaps?

    @Panda it looks to me like you’re using enlarged fonts at least. Can you confirm? You can’t cater for literally every device of course.

  • @Panda it looks to me like you’re using enlarged fonts at least. Can you confirm? You can’t cater for literally every device of course.

    @phenomlab yes thats a point that font size is an Android system setting, so another variable.
    Screenshot_20230630_070745_Settings~2.jpg

    So its not on largest but more than half way up

  • @phenomlab yes thats a point that font size is an Android system setting, so another variable.
    Screenshot_20230630_070745_Settings~2.jpg

    So its not on largest but more than half way up

    @Panda yes, that will play havoc with rendering. I’m curious to know if setting it to the normal size resolves it.

  • Yes with text 4/8 size its fine.
    Screenshot_20230630_173532_Chrome~2.jpg
    Athough my suggestion to have shorter group names might be worth taking.
    Collaborator is quite a long badge name,
    Whats your list of all the group categories? Is Sage top, how did you chose these names?

  • Yes with text 4/8 size its fine.
    Screenshot_20230630_173532_Chrome~2.jpg
    Athough my suggestion to have shorter group names might be worth taking.
    Collaborator is quite a long badge name,
    Whats your list of all the group categories? Is Sage top, how did you chose these names?

    @Panda said in Whitespace fixes in Nodebb:

    Collaborator is quite a long badge name,

    Yes, I need to re-think these names actually.

    @Panda said in Whitespace fixes in Nodebb:

    Whats your list of all the group categories? Is Sage top, how did you chose these names?

    See below

    08a3a12c-3a1c-4855-bfbe-54269c8ce8bf-image.png

    In actual fact, even “Supreme” won’t be the top rank - at 50,000 upvotes, you’d need to be almost god-like 🙂

  • @Panda said in Whitespace fixes in Nodebb:

    Collaborator is quite a long badge name,

    Yes, I need to re-think these names actually.

    @Panda said in Whitespace fixes in Nodebb:

    Whats your list of all the group categories? Is Sage top, how did you chose these names?

    See below

    08a3a12c-3a1c-4855-bfbe-54269c8ce8bf-image.png

    In actual fact, even “Supreme” won’t be the top rank - at 50,000 upvotes, you’d need to be almost god-like 🙂

    @phenomlab
    Interesting. Because it is not obvious which name is what rank, I suggest an alphabetical list.
    For example, something like
    ACE (highest)
    COMMANDER
    EXPERT
    GURU
    ROOKIE
    STARTER (lowest)

  • @phenomlab
    Interesting. Because it is not obvious which name is what rank, I suggest an alphabetical list.
    For example, something like
    ACE (highest)
    COMMANDER
    EXPERT
    GURU
    ROOKIE
    STARTER (lowest)

    @Panda I see your point, but I won’t be changing to an alphabetic system - but would consider stars. I know @crazycells uses ranking like this.

  • @Panda I see your point, but I won’t be changing to an alphabetic system - but would consider stars. I know @crazycells uses ranking like this.

    @phenomlab yeap, I like the stars… very intuitive…

    we have them from 1 to 5, but I am considering extending it to 7. additionally we have small icons such as a youtube sign for users with youtube channels, etc.

    Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 12.47.43.png

    in the past , forums used to have military rankings… captain, major, general etc. that is what the initial recommendation by our users was… sometimes these ranks would have lines and stars next to it… so the idea in the forum evolved to have only stars as ranks… users are happy with this…

  • @phenomlab yeap, I like the stars… very intuitive…

    we have them from 1 to 5, but I am considering extending it to 7. additionally we have small icons such as a youtube sign for users with youtube channels, etc.

    Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 12.47.43.png

    in the past , forums used to have military rankings… captain, major, general etc. that is what the initial recommendation by our users was… sometimes these ranks would have lines and stars next to it… so the idea in the forum evolved to have only stars as ranks… users are happy with this…

    @crazycells You’re both raising really good points here. The wording in all honesty was to get it started, but it’s become much more than that - particularly as original members have much higher rankings. I’ll take a look at this over the weekend.

  • This is exactly why I never really liked CSS. It can so easily go wrong on different resolution screens!
    When I wrote games, I would use Javascript on Canvas, with my own font so that everything was scaled as % of screen width and height.
    I had my own library for this. It was the only way to guarantee everything works on all devices.

    Look at this: its a mess, and Flip4 is not an uncommon device
    Screenshot_20230629_235950_Chrome~2.jpg

    What does having this extra Tag saying Author really add?
    I dont want to be critical, but it might be better to have the user group badges as shorter names, then that would reduce overlaps?

    @Panda said in Whitespace fixes in Nodebb:

    What does having this extra Tag saying Author really add?

    Missed this question. This specific tag adds “author” to who originally created the topic. It’s a useful way of identifying the original poster throughout a long thread.

  • @phenomlab
    Interesting. Because it is not obvious which name is what rank, I suggest an alphabetical list.
    For example, something like
    ACE (highest)
    COMMANDER
    EXPERT
    GURU
    ROOKIE
    STARTER (lowest)

    @Panda Just circling back here with something of an update (which I think you’ll like). I’ve completely restructured the ranking system. There are now less ranks, with a higher point threshold to reach them.

    More importantly, if you reload the site, you’ll notice that the ranks are now icons.

    I also removed the “Author” badge, and made this a single icon, which (to me) looks much better.


Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Support 💗 Sudonix with a coffee ☕
If your organisation needs deeper expertise around infrastructure, security, or technology leadership, learn more about Phenomlab Ltd. Many of the deeper technical guides behind Sudonix are published there.

Related Topics
  • Custom Page - nodebb

    Solved Customisation custom-pages nodebb
    13
    2
    5 Votes
    13 Posts
    2k Views
    I’m happy to see this
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • NodeBB upgrade now cant post

    Solved Bugs nodebb
    5
    2 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda yes, for some reason, that is the case. If you need an urgent response, it’s probably better to post here because of the time difference.
  • Forum Icons NodeBB

    Solved Customisation icons forum nodebb
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    @cagatay That matches what I see [image: 1667218162107-4f0f858d-9812-42b1-9f61-ffb13d31dccd-image.png]
  • Changing Background on NodeBB

    Solved Customisation background image nodebb
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @cagatay You’d target the body tag and use the below line of CSS background: url(/assets/customcss/backgrounds/default/default.png) no-repeat center center fixed; Obviously, you need to change the path to suit where your image is being stored. More info around the background property can be found here https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_background.php
  • How to fix header side as boxed

    Solved Customisation header boxed sudonix nodebb
    10
    1
    6 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab yes it caused a problem for mobile users. thank you for helping …
  • [NodeBB] username cards

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    8
    5 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab Aha…nice to know. As always thank you for the reply and information.
  • NodeBB Design help

    Solved Customisation
    8
    3
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    @riekmedia I’ve applied some new CSS to your site. Can you reload the page and try again ? For the record, this is what I added #footer { background: #2d343e; border-top: 4px solid #2d343e; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 70px; padding: 80px 0 0; position: relative; clear: both; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; z-index: 1000; margin-left: -15px; margin-right: -338px; } The /categories page seems a bit messed up, so looking at that currently EDIT - issued some override CSS in the CATEGORIES widget <!--- CSS fix for overspill on /categories page - DO NOT DELETE --> <style> #footer { margin-right: -45px; } </style> That should resolve the /categories issue.