Skip to content

Custom html in nodebb to prevent cache

Unsolved Configure
18 2 4.6k 1
  • @phenomlab so nodebb hosted so Im not using any nginx etc
    Can you tell me if aignite.nodebb.com looks very different for you on mobile chrome, in incognito browser?
    In my incognito, some text barely readable!

    Also still caching on normal mobile browser despite all those lines in custom header

    @Panda if it’s hosted NodeBB then I’m 99% sure that they will be using nginx. Nginx itself will cache static assets - css being one of them, so what you are experiencing is normal behavior, and the cache-control headers you have defined with have virtually zero effect when they are already set by nginx itself.

    On a desktop, you can force the browser to clear that cache for that specific site by pressing f12 to open the developers console, then left click and hold on the reload button in the browser

    After and one second you’ll see three options. You want the third, which is “Clear cache and reload”

    I know you use your phone to do most things, but I can tell you now that it’s almost impossible to develop in this way and it needs to be done via a PC or laptop.

  • @phenomlab so nodebb hosted so Im not using any nginx etc
    Can you tell me if aignite.nodebb.com looks very different for you on mobile chrome, in incognito browser?
    In my incognito, some text barely readable!

    Also still caching on normal mobile browser despite all those lines in custom header

    @Panda said in Custom html in nodebb to prevent cache:

    Can you tell me if aignite.nodebb.com looks very different for you on mobile chrome, in incognito browser?

    What I can tell you is that the white overlay with the lime green text doesn’t work. It’s virtually illegible and not pleasing to the eye at all.

  • @Panda said in Custom html in nodebb to prevent cache:

    Can you tell me if aignite.nodebb.com looks very different for you on mobile chrome, in incognito browser?

    What I can tell you is that the white overlay with the lime green text doesn’t work. It’s virtually illegible and not pleasing to the eye at all.

    @phenomlab yes, but the point about browser cache on mobile, I want the users to get a different background pic each time.

    So I know I an manually clear cache, but the users shouldnt need to know about that.

  • @phenomlab yes, but the point about browser cache on mobile, I want the users to get a different background pic each time.

    So I know I an manually clear cache, but the users shouldnt need to know about that.

    @Panda how are you issuing the image? If you use JS to do this, you won’t need to worry about browser cache. It’s a little unclear as to what you currently have in place.

  • @Panda how are you issuing the image? If you use JS to do this, you won’t need to worry about browser cache. It’s a little unclear as to what you currently have in place.

    @phenomlab
    Just css with a random image url
    You have login, take a look?

  • @phenomlab
    Just css with a random image url
    You have login, take a look?

    @Panda I’m not in front of a PC presently, but can look tomorrow.

  • @Panda I’m not in front of a PC presently, but can look tomorrow.

    @phenomlab the forum looking so different on incognito and standard browser is so weird.
    (This is on Android device)
    Its like the Neon theme is much more Neon on the incognito, and the text is hard to read!

  • @phenomlab the forum looking so different on incognito and standard browser is so weird.
    (This is on Android device)
    Its like the Neon theme is much more Neon on the incognito, and the text is hard to read!

    @Panda said in Custom html in nodebb to prevent cache:

    Its like the Neon theme is much more Neon on the incognito, and the text is hard to read!

    Incognito mode will always reflect the current state of affairs as it will not cache anything. If it looks bad in this session, this is how others will see it also.

  • @Panda What I see on checking the site is this

    image.png

    It looks psychedelic and the colours do not work at all.

  • @Panda What I see on checking the site is this

    image.png

    It looks psychedelic and the colours do not work at all.

    @phenomlab yes, but skins / themes arent supposed to cache.
    So my main issue here is why was it looking different?
    I’ve changed skin now, but still want to get round this caching, as still have problem on normal broswer that I dont get new background image every time browser bar refreshed

  • @phenomlab yes, but skins / themes arent supposed to cache.
    So my main issue here is why was it looking different?
    I’ve changed skin now, but still want to get round this caching, as still have problem on normal broswer that I dont get new background image every time browser bar refreshed

    @Panda said in Custom html in nodebb to prevent cache:

    yes, but skins / themes arent supposed to cache.

    They will cache by default - by NGINX, and not anything you choose to put in the headers. The code you specified there would apply to the entire site, which defeats the purpose of using a cache to speed up delivery of assets that the browser already has. Even without the case in Incognito mode, the experience is awful because most of the text is unreadable.

    The point you made about fonts looking blurry is because of the presence of text-shadow as a CSS element. This technique is used to made text stand out by using a drop shadow of another colour. This now clashes with the changes you have made and makes the text look blurry.

  • So if I cant prevent cache, how do I achieve different background each time?

  • So if I cant prevent cache, how do I achieve different background each time?

    @Panda You’ll need to do that with js. With some quick CSS changes, it looks like this

    d619844f-fbfe-4cf1-a283-6b7364f6bf18-image.png

    The colour choice is still really hard on the eye, but at least you can now read the text


Related Topics
  • Nodebb to Xenforo

    Solved Configure xenforo nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    @cagatay as @downpw stated, there isn’t a native tool that will do this for you. You’d need to either develop your own or ask the nodebb team to assist which will be a paid exercise.
  • Interesting Widget code, but can't fetch API

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    26
    2 Votes
    26 Posts
    10k Views
    @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: How did you drop that widget into the post there? I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already? Yes, here https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044 It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets. @Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API: Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that? By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget. Hope this makes sense?
  • Composer options on nodebb

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    3 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @Panda You should be able to expose the CSS for these using F12 to get into console [image: 1686833368846-3591518c-e3a3-4ada-a43c-6b32a5e0359c-image.png] [image: 1686833399483-a2b8ed46-4157-4ff2-85f0-576543380107-image.png] That should then expose the element once selected [image: 1686833431032-89d9c545-a47a-40d1-98f4-80cf3b958e8f-image.png] Here’s the below CSS you need based on the screenshot provided. .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="picture-o"], .composer .formatting-bar .formatting-group li[data-format="spoiler"] { display: none; }
  • nodebb loading emojis

    Solved Configure nodebb emojis
    16
    1
    1 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    @DownPW sure. Let me have a look at this in more detail. I know nginx plus has extensive support for this, but it’s not impossible to get somewhere near acceptable with the standard version. You might be better off handling this at the Cloudflare level given that it sits in between the requesting client and your server.
  • NodeBB 3.0 alpha1 : Error on install

    Solved Configure nodebb version 3 install error
    19
    2 Votes
    19 Posts
    6k Views
    @phenomlab Work now
  • Gettin Erors NodeBB

    Solved Configure nodebb eror
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab no forum is working goods. there is no eror message since yestarday.
  • nodebb dropdown menu

    Solved Configure nodebb
    5
    1
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    @phenomlab said in nodebb dropdown menu: @kurulumu-net You set it like the below example taken from this site [image: 1637939951821-aae36790-3257-4bb2-ad5a-0d744309876a-image.png] Which presents this [image: 1637939983445-77f47260-2941-4afe-9614-8e17dcfc8c19-image.png] Very interesting… I actually thought this wasn’t possible, as I remember it being asked in the NodeBB forum. Is this something new that’s been implemented? I’ll 100% be doing that when I’m on the laptop over the weekend.
  • RSS parser script [NodeBB]

    Customisation nodebb rss script
    47
    9 Votes
    47 Posts
    21k Views
    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]: @jac Not yet. Sorry. Have some other work commitments I need to prioritise. Hoping to get to this over the weekend. No worries at all mate, thanks