Skip to content

RSS parser script [NodeBB]

Customisation
47 2 20.9k 2
  • @jac Hi. Yes, I’m going to be taking a look at this over the coming days. Thanks for the patience…

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Hi. Yes, I’m going to be taking a look at this over the coming days. Thanks for the patience…

    Great to hear! Many thanks 😁

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Hi. Yes, I’m going to be taking a look at this over the coming days. Thanks for the patience…

    Great to hear! Many thanks 😁

    @jac I spent three hours looking into this today and sadly it’s not a simple affair in the sense that I can’t reuse the older Flarum script. Essentially, it’s a rewrite but not the end of the world.

    I’ve finished most of this, but have hit a stumbling block with the newer API so will need to research further before we can be ready for an initial release.

    There are some dependencies also, but nothing too major. Essentially, you will require nodebb-plugin-write-api (listed as the Write API) plugin to be able to use this new script. It also (currently) requires PHP to be installed (although future versions will probably make use of Python.

  • @jac I spent three hours looking into this today and sadly it’s not a simple affair in the sense that I can’t reuse the older Flarum script. Essentially, it’s a rewrite but not the end of the world.

    I’ve finished most of this, but have hit a stumbling block with the newer API so will need to research further before we can be ready for an initial release.

    There are some dependencies also, but nothing too major. Essentially, you will require nodebb-plugin-write-api (listed as the Write API) plugin to be able to use this new script. It also (currently) requires PHP to be installed (although future versions will probably make use of Python.

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac I spent three hours looking into this today and sadly it’s not a simple affair in the sense that I can’t reuse the older Flarum script. Essentially, it’s a rewrite but not the end of the world.

    I’ve finished most of this, but have hit a stumbling block with the newer API so will need to research further before we can be ready for an initial release.

    There are some dependencies also, but nothing too major. Essentially, you will require nodebb-plugin-write-api (listed as the Write API) plugin to be able to use this new script. It also (currently) requires PHP to be installed (although future versions will probably make use of Python.

    Amazing work Mark, can’t thank you enough for all the effort that’s going into releasing this and making it compatible.

    It’s a shame you’ve ran into a few issues, but can’t thank you enough! If this does get released I don’t see why more users wouldn’t want to use it.

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac I spent three hours looking into this today and sadly it’s not a simple affair in the sense that I can’t reuse the older Flarum script. Essentially, it’s a rewrite but not the end of the world.

    I’ve finished most of this, but have hit a stumbling block with the newer API so will need to research further before we can be ready for an initial release.

    There are some dependencies also, but nothing too major. Essentially, you will require nodebb-plugin-write-api (listed as the Write API) plugin to be able to use this new script. It also (currently) requires PHP to be installed (although future versions will probably make use of Python.

    Amazing work Mark, can’t thank you enough for all the effort that’s going into releasing this and making it compatible.

    It’s a shame you’ve ran into a few issues, but can’t thank you enough! If this does get released I don’t see why more users wouldn’t want to use it.

    @jac ok, I spent some more time (another 2 hours) looking into this, and now have it working

    unknown.png
    unknown-1.png
    unknown-2.png

    Essentially, it works fine, but the issue here is that there is no text - it’s just videos. Looking at the structure of the XML file, it’s not the same as a standard RSS or ATOM file.

    Proving difficult. Work continues…

    I’ll keep you posted.

  • @jac ok, I spent some more time (another 2 hours) looking into this, and now have it working

    unknown.png
    unknown-1.png
    unknown-2.png

    Essentially, it works fine, but the issue here is that there is no text - it’s just videos. Looking at the structure of the XML file, it’s not the same as a standard RSS or ATOM file.

    Proving difficult. Work continues…

    I’ll keep you posted.

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac ok, I spent some more time (another 2 hours) looking into this, and now have it working

    unknown.png
    unknown-1.png
    unknown-2.png

    Essentially, it works fine, but the issue here is that there is no text - it’s just videos. Looking at the structure of the XML file, it’s not the same as a standard RSS or ATOM file.

    Proving difficult. Work continues…

    I’ll keep you posted.

    Wow!!!

    Absolute genius! 🤝 👏

    The work continues for you, but absolutely amazing work Mark! 👏🏻

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac ok, I spent some more time (another 2 hours) looking into this, and now have it working

    unknown.png
    unknown-1.png
    unknown-2.png

    Essentially, it works fine, but the issue here is that there is no text - it’s just videos. Looking at the structure of the XML file, it’s not the same as a standard RSS or ATOM file.

    Proving difficult. Work continues…

    I’ll keep you posted.

    Wow!!!

    Absolute genius! 🤝 👏

    The work continues for you, but absolutely amazing work Mark! 👏🏻

    @jac thanks. I think I’ve found a way to get the description of the YouTube video from the XML structure in the URL, but this may cause issues with other URLs that are in fact RSS and atom compliant.

    I’ll look at this a bit more tomorrow.

  • @jac thanks. I think I’ve found a way to get the description of the YouTube video from the XML structure in the URL, but this may cause issues with other URLs that are in fact RSS and atom compliant.

    I’ll look at this a bit more tomorrow.

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac thanks. I think I’ve found a way to get the description of the YouTube video from the XML structure in the URL, but this may cause issues with other URLs that are in fact RSS and atom compliant.

    I’ll look at this a bit more tomorrow.

    Thanks very much mate for all the hard work especially on a weekend, it’s very much appreciated!

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac thanks. I think I’ve found a way to get the description of the YouTube video from the XML structure in the URL, but this may cause issues with other URLs that are in fact RSS and atom compliant.

    I’ll look at this a bit more tomorrow.

    Thanks very much mate for all the hard work especially on a weekend, it’s very much appreciated!

    @jac No problems. Happy to help.

  • @jac No problems. Happy to help.

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac No problems. Happy to help.

    Many thanks mate, looking forward to its release, it’ll really make a great difference importing match interviews, highlights etc. 🍾

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac No problems. Happy to help.

    Many thanks mate, looking forward to its release, it’ll really make a great difference importing match interviews, highlights etc. 🍾

    @jac 😁 will this be published on the node forum too?

  • @jac 😁 will this be published on the node forum too?

    @jac Possibly. Ideally as a plugin though if that does happen

  • @jac Possibly. Ideally as a plugin though if that does happen

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Possibly. Ideally as a plugin though if that does happen

    Fantastic! Can’t wait 😁 it will be a fantastic addition!

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Possibly. Ideally as a plugin though if that does happen

    Fantastic! Can’t wait 😁 it will be a fantastic addition!

    Does this plugin currently work fine but you’re trying to develop it to pull in descriptions otherwise it would be bad for SEO etc?

    Is that right 🤔.

    I’m looking forward to its release as you know 😁.

  • Does this plugin currently work fine but you’re trying to develop it to pull in descriptions otherwise it would be bad for SEO etc?

    Is that right 🤔.

    I’m looking forward to its release as you know 😁.

    @jac Yes, pretty much that. The only part left to develop is the feed you provided me. It’s structured differently meaning I have to fetch the data from a large array, and it takes time to identify which array key holds the specific string you want.

    For other RSS and ATOM feeds it’ll work out of the box. However, it (currently) requires PHP and MySQL (as it was ported from Flarum) and ideally should be moved to native NodeJS and MongoDB. Sadly, work commitments mean I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to update all of this so inevitably, the release has been delayed.

  • @jac Yes, pretty much that. The only part left to develop is the feed you provided me. It’s structured differently meaning I have to fetch the data from a large array, and it takes time to identify which array key holds the specific string you want.

    For other RSS and ATOM feeds it’ll work out of the box. However, it (currently) requires PHP and MySQL (as it was ported from Flarum) and ideally should be moved to native NodeJS and MongoDB. Sadly, work commitments mean I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to update all of this so inevitably, the release has been delayed.

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Yes, pretty much that. The only part left to develop is the feed you provided me. It’s structured differently meaning I have to fetch the data from a large array, and it takes time to identify which array key holds the specific string you want.

    For other RSS and ATOM feeds it’ll work out of the box. However, it (currently) requires PHP and MySQL (as it was ported from Flarum) and ideally should be moved to native NodeJS and MongoDB. Sadly, work commitments mean I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to update all of this so inevitably, the release has been delayed.

    Thanks for the update Mark, all sounds very interesting and of course promising, and I eagerly await it’s release 😁.

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Yes, pretty much that. The only part left to develop is the feed you provided me. It’s structured differently meaning I have to fetch the data from a large array, and it takes time to identify which array key holds the specific string you want.

    For other RSS and ATOM feeds it’ll work out of the box. However, it (currently) requires PHP and MySQL (as it was ported from Flarum) and ideally should be moved to native NodeJS and MongoDB. Sadly, work commitments mean I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to update all of this so inevitably, the release has been delayed.

    Thanks for the update Mark, all sounds very interesting and of course promising, and I eagerly await it’s release 😁.

    @jac said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Yes, pretty much that. The only part left to develop is the feed you provided me. It’s structured differently meaning I have to fetch the data from a large array, and it takes time to identify which array key holds the specific string you want.

    For other RSS and ATOM feeds it’ll work out of the box. However, it (currently) requires PHP and MySQL (as it was ported from Flarum) and ideally should be moved to native NodeJS and MongoDB. Sadly, work commitments mean I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to update all of this so inevitably, the release has been delayed.

    Thanks for the update Mark, all sounds very interesting and of course promising, and I eagerly await it’s release 😁.

    Just checking in on this, is there any advancement? 👍🏻

  • @jac said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Yes, pretty much that. The only part left to develop is the feed you provided me. It’s structured differently meaning I have to fetch the data from a large array, and it takes time to identify which array key holds the specific string you want.

    For other RSS and ATOM feeds it’ll work out of the box. However, it (currently) requires PHP and MySQL (as it was ported from Flarum) and ideally should be moved to native NodeJS and MongoDB. Sadly, work commitments mean I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to update all of this so inevitably, the release has been delayed.

    Thanks for the update Mark, all sounds very interesting and of course promising, and I eagerly await it’s release 😁.

    Just checking in on this, is there any advancement? 👍🏻

    @jac Still on my list. Going to be looking at this hopefully soon.

  • @jac Still on my list. Going to be looking at this hopefully soon.

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Still on my list. Going to be looking at this hopefully soon.

    👏🏻👏🏻🤞🏻 Can’t wait pal!!

  • @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Still on my list. Going to be looking at this hopefully soon.

    👏🏻👏🏻🤞🏻 Can’t wait pal!!

    @jac said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Still on my list. Going to be looking at this hopefully soon.

    👏🏻👏🏻🤞🏻 Can’t wait pal!!

    Any update mate? 🤝😉

  • @jac said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @phenomlab said in RSS parser script [NodeBB]:

    @jac Still on my list. Going to be looking at this hopefully soon.

    👏🏻👏🏻🤞🏻 Can’t wait pal!!

    Any update mate? 🤝😉

    @jac Not yet. Sorry. Still on my list, but take comfort in the fact that it’s 75% completed 🙂


Related Topics
  • Composer Zen icon?

    Solved Configure nodebb
    8
    1
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    @DownPW exactly. Not really a new concept, and in all honesty, not something I’ve ever used. If you consider the need to add links and references, or citations, you’d need to be able to see other parts of the screen!
  • 14 Votes
    69 Posts
    55k Views
    @phenomlab Seems to be better with some scaling fix for redis on redis.conf. I haven’t seen the message yet since the changes I made # I increase it to the value of /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn tcp-backlog 4096 # I'm uncommenting because it can slow down Redis. Uncommented by default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #save 900 1 #save 300 10 #save 60 10000 If you have other Redis optimizations. I take all your advice https://severalnines.com/blog/performance-tuning-redis/
  • Custom badges

    Solved Customisation nodebb
    103
    2
    49 Votes
    103 Posts
    52k Views
    Perfect
  • Changing Background on NodeBB

    Solved Customisation background image nodebb
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    @cagatay You’d target the body tag and use the below line of CSS background: url(/assets/customcss/backgrounds/default/default.png) no-repeat center center fixed; Obviously, you need to change the path to suit where your image is being stored. More info around the background property can be found here https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_background.php
  • Fresher in Nodebb install

    General nodebb
    24
    15 Votes
    24 Posts
    11k Views
    @Hari I’ve been reading a lot about APO. Looks impressive.
  • NodeBB Footer

    Solved Customisation footer nodebb
    10
    1 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    @phenomlab said in NodeBB Footer: @jac and you. Hope all is well and you recover quickly Thanks pal
  • Social icon (Nodebb)

    Solved Customisation nodebb social
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    @phenomlab said in Social icon (Nodebb): @jac I just tested my theory around using the OG image, and according to the Twitter card validator, it works fine [image: 1638880098289-73e805e1-997b-41bf-9259-51c5052ca8fc-image.png] fixed
  • Customising NodeBB

    Locked Customisation nodebb
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Closing this thread as a duplicate of https://sudonix.com/topic/12/nodebb-customisation